MT15 CTS-B75P handle hole sizes are bigger than previous

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JLS

MT15 CTS-B75P handle hole sizes are bigger than previous

Post by JLS »

I've used my B75P Mule for a few weeks now and took off the Halpern "temporary" handles and was going to start on some green canvas micarta scales. When checking passage of drills due to the burrs left from laser cutting, I noticed that the holes were HUGE! The small holes that are a nominal 3/16" and that normally measure about .192"-.194" were .198"-.199" and the nominal 3/8" holes that normally measure .378"-.380" were .402"-.405". I will make myself some pins that fit snug, but I'm left to wonder if this is a rolling change that we'll see in the future or if this is truly an anomaly.

I did check sizes against the naked Cruwear and 9Cr18Mo Mules that I have on hand and they were just like all of the others.

Anyone else run into this issue when putting a handle on their B75P Mules?
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

My holes were actually small. The Halpern pins didn't fit through one of the holes originally.
JLS

Post by JLS »

I would imagine that is due to the burrs from the laser cutting.

The holes in mine are large enough that they are problematic unless I make and use bigger pins.

Anyone else?
JLS

Post by JLS »

These are pictures of my B75P Mule laid on top of a BD1 Mule. The difference is not insignificant.

rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Many of my mules, the holes are just snug enough that I can't always fit the fastener hardware through them (using Halpern Titanium scales and hardware). Initially I spent a lot of effort trying to fit a rat-tail file in, or use a small cone-shaped stone on my drill to enlarge them, but found that just using a bit of sandpaper, rolled into a tube shape small enough to fit into the hole, worked very quickly without much effort, I guess it was just a bit of snags left over from the laser cutting.

Didn't really have to remove much material, just smooth it out. I don't remember the exact grit I used, I think maybe 400, wet-dry sandpaper, works great.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)