Handle variations frn vs ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bladekeeper

Handle variations frn vs ?

Post by Bladekeeper »

Have fancied a delica for a while also an endura but the frn has always put me off an aesthetic issue ? Most definitely but would pull the trigger on both if a G10 option or micarta were available.
Anybody else like to see this option is there a significant cost rationale as to why they aren't available or have I missed something eg older models of these with said scales your thoughts please gents.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

There was a G10 Delica. And if you search around you can probably find one somewhere. Never been a micarta one AFAIK. Sal says that they don't like to work with micarta because it tends to shrink and swell with humidity and temperature.

Too bad too because myself and many of the people on this board tend to really like micarta.
On the hunt for...
araneae

Post by araneae »

If you are avoiding FRN you are missing out. Its tough, light and durable. No better material for a working knife like a Delica.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Holland

Post by Holland »

Took me a while to warm up to FRN, i thought it looked cheap and weak, but after using my delica for a while, my mind changed 180 degrees. Give the delica a shot, you can always sell it if you don't warm up to FRN, i have a feeling you will be pleasantly surprised though :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I have both Delicas and although I love the look of the G10 version, it doesn't see nearly the pocket time of the FRN. Spyderco does FRN right, you won't be disappointed.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

You might try out a Stretch if on the Delica/Endura fence. It's quite a knife for the money.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

I know it's my tunnel vision with the frn I just think g10 looks so much better I had a Santa Fe delica and really liked the blade but the gemstone inlay arrived damaged so it went back.
I will try and get a hands on difficult here as knife stores are few and far between.
Still would like to see a stock version or at the least a g10 sprint.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I don't blame you with the frn, I don't much like it either.
You need to hunt ebay and the various b/s/t forums...for the g10 delica, you are not likely to ever see it in a store.
On the hunt for...
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Spyderco offered G-10 versions of the Endura 4 and Delica 4 a few years back. In 2009, MSRP for a G-10 Endura was $199.95 while the FRN version's was $94.95. The G-10 Delica's MSRP was $179.95 while the FRN version's was $89.95. Even at "street prices", too few people found the G-10 versions worth the extra money.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jon1all

Post by jon1all »

Not really an FRN fan either. Have just a few of them (no Delica) but by far not my fav. I know that it is durable and light and from a functional perspective there is no reason to dislike it... I just generally don't like how it feels in my hand (ie, it feels cheap). I have a Byrd Hawkbill coming my way for Christmas with an FRN handle... and on that budget type knife I can live with it, but I really hate paying decent money for what feels cheap in the hand (I know, I know, it's not cheap... it's an excellent handle material... just can't convince my hand of that!).

Maybe some day I will come around to it... until then... give me G10 every time.
Apparently, arachnophobia is not a condition from which I suffer.... :spyder:
------
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." (oops!)
--Thomas Jefferson
PLEASE VISIT MY BLOG >>>1all's Pub<<<
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

FWIW, I have a CF Stretch, an STR customized one in Lignum Vitae with titanium liners, and a drop dead gorgeous bolstered cocobolo on that Sal gave me, yet I still carry an FRN one occasionally. As for G-10, it looks nice if it's contoured and polished but personally, I'd prefer stabilized cow pies to peel-ply G-10.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

For me G10 is obviously grippy but lackluster in other areas. 9/10 times it's matte black and completely flat. It's also more difficult to get in and out of the pocket (which it tends to shred). That and the likelihood it will be screwed to full-length liners with a steel backspacer adds to weight and price over FRN. In the case of the Delica as Paul mentioned in another thread it was about twice the cash.

It is often thinner in that way over a FRN lined knife. However, if going for that award SS knives tend to be the champions.
Tally-ho

Post by Tally-ho »

Actually:
Spyderco Dragonfly2 FRN ~ C28BK2 = MSRP $79.95
Spyderco Dragonfly Foliage Green G-10 ~ C28GFG = MSRP $144.95

I purchased the G-10 version and don't regret it.
| C10PGRE + C10FPK390 Endura 4 | C28GPFG Dragonfly | C36TIP Military | C41GP5 Native 5 | C54GPBN Calypso | C65CFP Lum Chinese | C81GPDBL2 PM2 | C90GFPD Strectch | C94TIP UK Penknife | C101PGY2 + C101PBORE2 Manix 2 | C113GPGY Caly 3 | C123TIP Sage 2 | C126GPFG Rock Lobster | C135GP Perrin PPT | C144CFPE Caly 3.5 | C163PBK Pingo | C164GPBN Nilakka || MT16P MT17P MT18P Mule Team |
jon1all

Post by jon1all »

I don't regret my DF2 G10 either...but I didn't pay MSRP for it either (few do I bet). Still I paid $86 which wasn't cheap & was about twice the price of the FRN VG-10 version. No regrets...great lil knife!
Apparently, arachnophobia is not a condition from which I suffer.... :spyder:
------
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." (oops!)
--Thomas Jefferson
PLEASE VISIT MY BLOG >>>1all's Pub<<<
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Stabilised cow pies mmm I'm sure my wife stabilises some of her meals my stomach is telling me today's dinner was one of them :D .
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

The Deacon wrote:FWIW, I have a CF Stretch, an STR customized one in Lignum Vitae with titanium liners, and a drop dead gorgeous bolstered cocobolo on that Sal gave me, yet I still carry an FRN one occasionally. As for G-10, it looks nice if it's contoured and polished but personally, I'd prefer stabilized cow pies to peel-ply G-10.
I have a custom Delica with stabilized cow pie scales, they are really warm to the touch.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
bh49

Post by bh49 »

FRN and metal are my least favorite handle materials. Titanium frame-locks are fine. Favorites: bone, wood, other natural materials. Micarta, smooth G10 is OK. Taiwanese CF and CF like on Dodo is good, still no match to nice bone.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

I wasn't a huge frn fan at first. I love the stuff now. I think it was the little Spydies that made me appreciate frn.
Frn comes in so many beautifle colors.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]