Always going back to the Delica

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dbcad

Always going back to the Delica

Post by dbcad »

It's very easy to get caught up with the unique and, different, and sometimes surprising models Spyderco comes up with :) For folks of relatively modest means, such as myself, purchasing some of these models is not always possible :) How does an enthusiast cope?? ;)

For me reappreciating the simple, plain Delica4 is the answer. It's simple, ambidextrous, ergonomic, well built with fine materials, and is relatively inexpensive. Whenever I feel I'm a bit too spoiled and need some grounding the Delica is the model I go to.

All you have to do is take out a Delica, make sure it has an edge to your liking and appreciate :D In the base model you have vg-10 steel, nested liners, lightweight and excellent construction. This knife does it's job well despite the absence of more refined features on other more expensive models :)

If you're pining for one of the newer models but can't afford it, just take out a Delica, make the edge yours, and appreciate :D You have all of the cutting capability any "sane" person could wish for at a very affordable price :D
Attachments
2 delicas.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Ragman24

Post by Ragman24 »

I'm kinda the same way but with the Endura 4.Love that knife!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I love the Delica - my most used, aside from my work Salt 1's. They look great, and fit the hand in all grips - what's not to love?

- best wishes, Jazz.
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

Totally agree! I've had a Delica (either Generation 1 with G2 steel or Delica 4 with VG-10) clipped to my pocket since 1991. If I carry another Spyderco, it's in addition to my Delica.
** Endura 1 SE G2, Delica 1 CE G2, Co-Pilot SE Almite G2, Bob Terzuola Jr CE ATS-34, Rescue Jr SE ATS-55, Caly 3 PE VG-10 G10, Lady Bug II SE AUS-6, Delica 4 PE VG-10, Endura 4 CE Vg-10, Lady Bug 3 PE VG-10, Cricket SE VG-10, Salt 1 PE H1, Dragonfly 2 PE VG-10, UK Penknife PE CTS BD1 **
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

Don't have a delica , but how I cope with being a poor person who is a knife collector. I appreciate all I have. I don't try and keep up with anyone. I consider myself lucky to own any nice knives and to have learned long ago about delayed gratification.

Charlie ,good thread. thanks .

James
I believe in safe queens , they do exist!
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Great post. Sometimes I think being overly acquisitive about exotic knife models isn't too healthy. The basics are the best.

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
jeff_C

Post by jeff_C »

Im in a similar situation. Its not that I cant spend the money on the big boys... its just that im not a collector and cant justify the cost.

So like you, I have a few simple pieces and I too keep going back to the simple Delica. It is perhaps the perfect EDC knife for me. I work in an office environment and the Delica is effective as a tool, but not too "scary". I like my Tenacious but it is a big bold blade. The Delica fits my hand perfectly and my VG-10 Full Grind is darn near a perfect blade.

I tool have a 50 50 serrated and a FFG 4. Love them both. I thought that my UKPK was going to upset the balance of things... but in the end the Delica is still my fav. I do prefer a locking blade.
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

jeff_C wrote:Its not that I cant spend the money on the big boys... its just that im not a collector and cant justify the cost.
'Zactly. Part of me want a Ulize badly, but what the **** am I going to use it for?

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Someday I might buy a G10 version, switch over a ZDP blade and reshape the handle to be more like the Centofante 3/4. Then I may EDC a Delica again.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

I have many spydercos but, I also seem to come back to the Delica. To me it is the perfect EDC knife. The G10 is in my pocket right now.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I've always felt the Delica "sets the standard" for EDC pocket knives. It's good for anyone. But, if you want different there are other options. If someone wants a nice basic pocket knife the Delica can't be beat except for personal preference. Of course the Endura is it's big brother. I think it "sets the standard" for the larger pocket knives.
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

jackknifeh wrote:I've always felt the Delica "sets the standard" for EDC pocket knives. It's good for anyone. But, if you want different there are other options. If someone wants a nice basic pocket knife the Delica can't be beat except for personal preference. Of course the Endura is it's big brother. I think it "sets the standard" for the larger pocket knives.
Well said
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

dbcad wrote: If you're pining for one of the newer models but can't afford it, just take out a Delica, make the edge yours, and appreciate :D You have all of the cutting capability any "sane" person could wish for at a very affordable price :D
I do this. I still want new knives, though :rolleyes:
jnichols2

Post by jnichols2 »

The first Spydercos I got were a Delica and an Endura. They never struck me as being "pretty", but I still thought they were great knives. They felt so good in my hand, and cut so well.

I now have knives that I like better for their looks, or a specific feel. But they are the same core Spyderco quality and design, just dressed differently.

Don't want to spend for the higher priced materials? Just get a Delica (Endura). You will have the same Spyderco quality.
Ladybug, Delica x 2, Endura x 2, Military Black, Manix 2 XL, Civilian, Harpy, Caly 3.5 CF ZDP-189, Sage 1
deep6

Post by deep6 »

I also believe the Delica sets the standard as the most affordable edc, and for me the Para 2 comes next.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

It's the "Model A" of Spydercos! The "Model T" was the Worker. It was refined and further developed - until you ended up with a timeless classic.

Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

The Delica - as far as a 100% all around useful pocket knife, you can't go wrong. It isn't the biggest, smallest, heaviest, lightest, widest, thinnest, tallest, shortest, longest, but it's the middle ground of all of those. The best all-around, universal cutting tool. Can't be beat.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I'm feeling the Delica love, too. Carried my green FFG D4 deep pocket today, couldn't tell it was even there without reaching for it. Awesome value, awesome utility, awesome materials and design.
dman62

Post by dman62 »

Delica is always a good answer for me as well. Truthfully, a Delica and a Millie would handle all my folding knife needs. Anything from going to church to going elk hunting. Just don't tell my wife that.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

The Delica is like the perfect EDC blade....its the one knife I think of when I think about Spyderco. Really looking forward to the Ti Damascus Delica coming out....seems like a deserving treatment for this model...
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban