Always going back to the Delica

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

phillipsted wrote:It's the "Model A" of Spydercos! The "Model T" was the Worker. It was refined and further developed - until you ended up with a timeless classic.

Good analogy :) Sweet looking car :D :D
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
CaptainTim

Post by CaptainTim »

I bought my first Spydie about a year ago. If I have clothes on, there's a Delica 4 FFG in my pocket. Suit and tie, jeans, hiking shorts, whatever, the Delica is my main EDC. Hard to beat the size, weight, price, toughness. My other Spydies: I have a Military black blade combo edge in my desk drawer or backpack, a ParaMilitary2 black blade PE in my briefcase, an Endura 4 black blade combo edge in the glovebox of my van, and a Pacific Salt black blade on the boat. All great knives, and all have their purpose, but the Delica rides in my pocket 99% of the time. Would love to have one in a black blade PE (I'm aware that the combo edge version exists), with G-10 scales.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I love my D4. I'm never worried about it rusting or getting scratched. I enjoy carrying my other knives as well, but the D4 is never the wrong one to carry, and I carry it more than the rest combined.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I carried my 1st Delica while working on an ambulance, and later while in the Army. It was an early Combo-edge model, unsure which generation it was, I bought in the early 90s. Ended up giving it to a soldier in my squad who needed a good knife. My next Delica was the early ZDP-189 sprint with the sky blue FRN. Sold that one to fund something else. My next Delica was the fully serrated ZDP-189 version. Carried it for years working at the Urgent Care, and it now resides in the console of my car. Next Delica I picked up was a FFG Brown FRN model. Still have it, but sadly I've not used it much. Interested in the Super Blue Sprint Run that Mr. Glesser mentioned.

I own a few Spydercos, but the Delica (with the Endura close behind) are my most used ones.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
CaptainTim

Post by CaptainTim »

And, I just bought three Delicas as Christmas gifts. Gotta inform and educate others who are not yet Spydie owners/users!
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

CaptainTim wrote:And, I just bought three Delicas as Christmas gifts. Gotta inform and educate others who are not yet Spydie owners/users!
Delica is the perfect gift knife for discerning folks who respect quality tools but are not way into knives. The Delica is a fine ambassador to such persons.
c11642

Post by c11642 »

I recently bought several higher end Spydies, it seems once the new wears off I gravitate back to my zdp Delica lol :D
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I have recently gone from 100% delica to a bigger fan of the Caly line. I feel like a traitor, but we'll see how the new titanium-handled damascus delica changes that.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I EDC'd my second Spyderco, a blue SE Delica 3, as my sole knife for 7 years. I never ran into anything that needed cutting that my Delica couldn't handle. I've since moved on primarily to knives with choils, but still think it's a great knife and even gifted a purple FFG to my sister as her first Spyderco.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
linuxology

Post by linuxology »

Endura 4 is the one I always go back to. The extra blade length and super duper handle is a very nice to have.
Skywarp

Post by Skywarp »

I understand how you feel. My Endura 4 would be an EDC if UK law permitted it. Instead, my Urban is in my pocket 99% of the time.
Urban Leaf, Superblue Delica 4, Leafstorm, Brown XHP Native, Brown Para 2
r small

Post by r small »

I started carrying a Delica back around '89 or '90. I guess that would have been the 1st generation? Since then I've bought 25-30 knives, mostly Spydercos, and a few Benchmades. But the Delica is still my all-time favorite. Now I carry the current models, usually a plain edge flat ground in the pocket for light duty and easy access, and a fully serrated model for back-up and heavy cutting, carried IWB.
karlous

Post by karlous »

I use my Delica more than any of my knives, (feels like an extension of my hand.) Also, my dad had a '30 model "A" during the war, I remember riding in it many times! :)
(For that rusty blade...try mineral oil...its cheap, food safe, and at your local drug store...in the laxative section...its really amazing stuff...great for leather, wood, bone, and stag knife handles too...even makes Micarta look good! And it makes you poo.):)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Togheter with Police it simply means Spyderco for me.I only wish they go back to the pointy tip of Delica 3 instead of
the so called modified drop point of D4.The same with Endura !
nuubee

Post by nuubee »

My waved Delica is the one that is usually in my pocket, even though I have several to rotate with. I wish that they would start using the brighter colors on sabre-grind Delicas and Enduras. I would love a purple or light blue non-FFG Endura.