Spyderco in 10 years?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Holland

Spyderco in 10 years?

Post by Holland »

Saw a thread like this on a different forum, thought this would be an interesting thread. Where do you see spyderco in ten years? Will they expand their production in golden? expand production to another different country? Stay small?
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Lightsabers...all lightsabers!
Holland

Post by Holland »

Blerv wrote:Lightsabers...all lightsabers!
hahaha thats what the other thread was saying
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Hopefully carefully managed growth and sticking to what is working. No risky ventures or overextension. Keeping some of the production off site has certain advantages to sinking huge amounts of money in a larger production facility and needing to keep making larger amounts to keep the company above water.

Going that route has sank larger companies than Spyderco.

Keep doing what works best.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Invective

Post by Invective »

I wouldn't be surprised to see a manufacturing plant in Brazil. They've got great manufacturing experience already, their own unique culture about knives and they are a rising economy as well. I wouldn't know anything about specifics but on paper it seems like it could be quite good.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Mastiff wrote:Hopefully carefully managed growth and sticking to what is working. No risky ventures or overextension. Keeping some of the production off site has certain advantages to sinking huge amounts of money in a larger production facility and needing to keep making larger amounts to keep the company above water.

Joe
What Joe said. Plus, I hope we'll see even more user interaction in the design and production of knives. I'd love to see a Spydie with a range different synthetic handles that could be printed at home with a 3d printer for example. Fans/collectors could then design and upload new handle designs etc... I'd love see something like that.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Still awesome!
TBob

Post by TBob »

The Mastiff wrote:Hopefully carefully managed growth and sticking to what is working. No risky ventures or overextension. Keeping some of the production off site has certain advantages to sinking huge amounts of money in a larger production facility and needing to keep making larger amounts to keep the company above water.

Joe
A wise approach. Plus, the economic landscape of the U.S.A. is changing to become more hostile to small family businesses. Higher tax rates and Obamacare drive a strategy of outsourcing work to contracted facilities in other countries. Outsourced resources can be more easily grown and contracted without incurring long-term obligations as the home business climate changes. Contracted outsourcing also limits the value of the assets being hit by the soon-to-be-increased "death tax" when passing on a business to heirs. These are perilous times for small family businesses, times which require very careful thought and planning to preserve their future.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

TBob wrote:A wise approach. Plus, the economic landscape of the U.S.A. is changing to become more hostile to small family businesses. Higher tax rates and Obamacare drive a strategy of outsourcing work to contracted facilities in other countries. Outsourced resources can be more easily grown and contracted without incurring long-term obligations as the home business climate changes. Contracted outsourcing also limits the value of the assets being hit by the soon-to-be-increased "death tax" when passing on a business to heirs. These are perilous times for small family businesses, times which require very careful thought and planning to preserve their future.
Tbob ,A wise approach was enough said. Keep doing what works. Keep Spyderco Unique ! Who knows what tomorrow may bring and I wouldn't want to be that consumer who ask for a lot and when its delivered I don't reach in my pocket and buy what I ask for. Cause obviously in the end its all about self preservation and not Spyderco's . Just being honest.

James
I believe in safe queens , they do exist!
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

In 10 years, I can see a larger number of slip-its in the lineup as well as more blades of shorter length (think:Chicago). I think the knife landscape as a whole (not just Spyderco) will be very different. We have legislation trying to snuff out the knife movement at every turn and rigid laws and restrictions are being passed all the time. If anyone can remember that Vance guy in New York, all it takes is a few more guys like him spread out across the country to radically change things.

Spyderco does well right now trying to adapt and accommodate their customers all across the world (UKPK, Urban, Pingo). That is very commendable and I'm sure the customers appreciate it. But if the majority of the lineup is forced to shift to shorter, small slip-its, well, I just don't know.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
TBob

Post by TBob »

JCP1969 wrote:Tbob ,A wise approach was enough said. Keep doing what works. Keep Spyderco Unique ! Who knows what tomorrow may bring and I wouldn't want to be that consumer who ask for a lot and when its delivered I don't reach in my pocket and buy what I ask for. Cause obviously in the end its all about self preservation and not Spyderco's . Just being honest.

James
Appreciate your thoughts. I simply posit what history has shown - what worked in the past or even now doesn't always work in the future. Times change, so we must improvise, adapt and overcome. Spyderco will continue to do well if they both produce limited quantities of high quality knives while limiting their exposure to the vagaries of the local/national business climate.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm gonna say something replaces S30V as the standard Golden steel. Can't wait to see what it is.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

TBob wrote:A wise approach. Plus, the economic landscape of the U.S.A. is changing to become more hostile to small family businesses. Higher tax rates and Obamacare drive a strategy of outsourcing work to contracted facilities in other countries. Outsourced resources can be more easily grown and contracted without incurring long-term obligations as the home business climate changes. Contracted outsourcing also limits the value of the assets being hit by the soon-to-be-increased "death tax" when passing on a business to heirs. These are perilous times for small family businesses, times which require very careful thought and planning to preserve their future.
Online political discussion is rarely productive. I respectfully suggest that your opinions on reasons for the current economic climate are better aired elsewhere, not on this forum please :) Low information opinions on such matters tend to be incendiary :eek:

Regarding Spyderco in 10 years I too agree with Joe. Spyderco seems to be a very adaptive producer with an excellent network of talented designer and manufacturer associations :) I trust they'll continue to produce quality, innovative products for the forseeable future.

A light saber would be nice tho ;) :eek: :D
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
sal

Post by sal »

Sorry to disappoint you Joe, Wouter, but we will be expanding our Golden facility and growing US production. More space, more machines, a few more people. Not too large to losel our culture.

sal
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

Spyderco in 10 years?

I expect the Military 2 will be coming out sometime around then. It'll be awesome.
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

This is what I like to hear Sal. To many companies become complacent with there success and forget to innovate and expand when needed. I have always been impressed with Spyderco's relentless pursuit and passion towards innovation and I think this will continue to pay dividends the next 10 years for the entire Spyderco family.
sal wrote:Sorry to disappoint you Joe, Wouter, but we will be expanding our Golden facility and growing US production. More space, more machines, a few more people. Not too large to losel our culture.

sal
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
Jet B

Post by Jet B »

The Southard was such a hit that I'm excited to see what other designs he comes up with for Spyderco over the next ten years. Plus other designers like Ed Schempp and Phil Wilson... Maybe some new ones too?

Endless possibilities for cool knives that are uniquely Spyderco but every bit a creation from a talented custom designer.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Joshua J. wrote:Spyderco in 10 years?

I expect the Military 2 will be coming out sometime around then. It'll be awesome.
Lmfao.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
tobii3

Post by tobii3 »

A 30th Anniversy Endura...a titanium blade with transparent aluminum handles... :rolleyes:
kbrouwer

Post by kbrouwer »

Blerv wrote:Lightsabers...all lightsabers!
I'm not a star wars guy but that would be AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! lol