Which lightweight, Native or Delica4 ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
benben

Which lightweight, Native or Delica4 ?

Post by benben »

Wanting to get my brother in law a knife in the $50 to $60 range for a
Christmas present and narrowed it down to these two. Knowing what
you guys know, which one would you appreciate the most as a gift ?
Native Lightweight
S30V steel
7" total length, 2.4 oz
$61.60 from cutlery shoppe.
Delica 4 Lightweight
VG-10 steel
7 1/8" total length, 2.3 oz
$56.00 from cutlery shoppe.
Curious to hear some different opinions on these two. I know the Delica
is considered one of Spyderco's flagship models but the Native "looks"
to be a little tougher work knife ?
Thanks for looking.
benben
evanPGH

Post by evanPGH »

benben wrote:Wanting to get my brother in law a knife in the $50 to $60 range for a
Christmas present and narrowed it down to these two. Knowing what
you guys know, which one would you appreciate the most as a gift ?
Native Lightweight
S30V steel
7" total length, 2.4 oz
$61.60 from cutlery shoppe.
Delica 4 Lightweight
VG-10 steel
7 1/8" total length, 2.3 oz
$56.00 from cutlery shoppe.
Curious to hear some different opinions on these two. I know the Delica
is considered one of Spyderco's flagship models but the Native "looks"
to be a little tougher work knife ?
Thanks for looking.
benben
I have big-ish hands (size L gloves) and I prefer the feel of the the Delica to the Native so that's something to consider. Both are fine knives, though. Have you checked out the Manix 2 Lightweight or the Endura?
benben

Post by benben »

evanPGH wrote:I have big-ish hands (size L gloves) and I prefer the feel of the the Delica to the Native so that's something to consider. Both are fine knives, though. Have you checked out the Manix 2 Lightweight or the Endura?
Thanks evan, probably should have mentioned my BIL is a real life Brutus, he can almost completely hide a 12oz beer can
in one of his paws ! I know he falls into the Military/Manix XL size catagory so thats two great suggestions evan.
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

Did you consider centofante 3? Beautifull gentlemans knife that stands up some beating, incredibly sharp and really eye catching piece. If you want to choose just between those two you listed I would maybe go for delica saber grind blade (I have ffg version and that blade doesn´t look like it is supposed to be in that handle). Saber grind delica will stand serious abuse, looks good and has screwed construction instead of pinned. All three are great knives :-)
“There's no friends like the old friends.” James Joyce, Dubliners
kromo

Post by kromo »

delete
kromo

Post by kromo »

Choose... :)

Native5
delica 4
almost the same size, but native are a little more heavy.
Attachments
trio1.jpg
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

evanPGH wrote:I have big-ish hands (size L gloves) and I prefer the feel of the the Delica to the Native so that's something to consider. Both are fine knives, though. Have you checked out the Manix 2 Lightweight or the Endura?
That's ironic, i have huge hands and i'm the exact opposite, i prefer the Native. When i grip the Delica, those points on the handle end up right on my fingers instead of between them, and my index/middle finger doesn't fit in the front finger choil like it's designed to do. It just feels very cramped compared to the Native. I do prefer the Native blade shape though, but the Native feels great in a Filipino grip.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I suggest a Native or the Manix 2 lightweight. Both great for many hand sizes.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
goodbloke

Post by goodbloke »

I also have large hands and like the native,the delica is also comfortable.love them both,have never put delica to really serious work but the native is more than tough enough for a large person.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Huge fan of the Delica, but I have smaller hands so I'm not really helpful here.
Papa_K

Post by Papa_K »

Delica.

I've got 3 different Delicas. It seems like an ideal EDC size.
For Natives, I kept the Native 5. Not that the FRN Native is bad at all, but the Native 5 is that much better (IMO).

Either one would be good, but the FFG Delica 4 would be my choice.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Out of the two you listed, I think the Native makes a really nice work knife.

The Manix 2 is a little more and may or may not be a better knife.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Holland

Post by Holland »

You wont be disappointed with either, but its hard to beat a ffg delica
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Commendatore

Post by Commendatore »

I don´t have a Native but some Delicas and prefer the saber ground sturdy version.
My Para2 made me a fan of S30V, my VG10 knives take a smooth edge-perfect for kitchen chores but my EDC knives see a lot of slicing cuts which seem to work better with the aggressive finish S30V shows.
I learned to love the hump behind :spyder: -holes and use them as a thumb rest so the Native is very low on my list but the index finger choil and steel are great features!
Mattexian

Post by Mattexian »

I've got a Native and a D4, and my vote would go with the Delica. I've got fairly big hands, but prefer the quick and easy handling of the Delica, especially since I filed away on the backside of the tip, removing the "break-resistant tip" profile, bringing it more in line with the old Delica blade shape. Plus, I have less trouble with the pocket clip on the D4 getting snagged and pulled out, compared with the Native. About the only thing I don't like on my D4 is the combo edge, but when I bought it, that was the only choice with the Foliage Green scales (I think it's still the only choice with the Foliage), not to say that the serrations haven't proven their worth a time or two.

Matt in Texas
Recovering BoyScout(TM), now doing GoodTurns(TM) fortnightly!
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

I'd throw the Centofante 3 into the mix as well. I suspect that it depends on the environment he is going to be using / carrying the knife in. My experience (by no means expert at all) is that S30V may just pip VG10 for performance but I like both steels so for me that wouldn't feature in my decision making.

If the aggressive look of the Native isn't an issue (that false edge isn't every one's taste), I'd take that particularly with the choil helping with big hands. It will probably take the most punishment even though it is pinned.

If slicing stuff is going to be what he does most- take the Centofante 3

General all purpose EDC ... FFG Delica, possibly in a colour rather than black to make it a bit more fun. If there is going to be the desire / requirement to strip it (only reason I can think of is that boys will be boys and we just need to take stuff apart), it has to be the Delica.

I have multiples of all three and like and use all three models. If someone were to give me one as a gift, I think I'd be most pleased with a Centofante.
benben

Post by benben »

Thanks again everyone, went a little over budget and got him a Superleaf ! I think he will be very pleased.
benben
flash900

Post by flash900 »

benben wrote:Thanks again everyone, went a little over budget and got him a Superleaf ! I think he will be very pleased.
benben
Excellent choice!
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

benben wrote:Thanks again everyone, went a little over budget and got him a Superleaf ! I think he will be very pleased.
benben
You're gonna be his favorite BIL.

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
kbrouwer

Post by kbrouwer »

Manix 2 lightweight. If you're strictly looking between Native and Delica, go with Native.
:spyder: :spyder: Kirk Brouwer :spyder: :spyder: