Wire Clip Mods???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
raven

Wire Clip Mods???

Post by raven »

Hey All, I've noticed as of late that the wire clip has been in discussions quite a bit. It's one of those features that's either you "Love It or Hate It" ;) .

Just curious if anyone has attempted a new design/modification other than the Titanium wire clip??? Here's an idea I had and know it's probably not easy, but possible with some of you mod experts :) ;) ...

Make a clip that's 75% to 80% solid except for the portion that slides into the slots??? Just a Thought :) . Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Somebody posted a while ago about encasing the clip in heat shrink tubing. I tried it and couldn't get the tubing around the tight bend.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
raven

Post by raven »

Sequimite wrote:Somebody posted a while ago about encasing the clip in heat shrink tubing. I tried it and couldn't get the tubing around the tight bend.
I thought about that as well. I'm thinking after a while it would probably loosen up and eventually slip off when pulling the knife from your pocket??? Take Very Good Care and Be Safe Always.

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I did that to my Techno. It took some doing, used 2mm tubing (I think) and a little bit of patience and it worked very well. I like it because it stops the clip of marking up the Ti under it. And gives it good grip on thinner material.

It won't stretch out once you have used heat to shrink it tight to the clip. It will probably get scratched up and maybe worn through eventually...but I can just cut it off and reapply if that happens. But after a few months, no issues so far.
On the hunt for...
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

raven wrote: Make a clip that's 75% to 80% solid except for the portion that slides into the slots???
-raven-
Although this idea would make for a unique clip, I believe the idea behind the wire clips were for the unobtrusiveness of the clips. By adding the extra material, the clip would stand out more, and divert from its original intentions.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
raven

Post by raven »

Minibear453 wrote:Although this idea would make for a unique clip, I believe the idea behind the wire clips were for the unobtrusiveness of the clips. By adding the extra material, the clip would stand out more, and divert from its original intentions.
I agree... I like that it goes so un-noticed (especially around the NKP :rolleyes :) . Just thought of it as an option for those that don't like the wire version :) . Take Very Good Care and Be Safe Always.

-raven-

Pockets

Post by Pockets »

I've never seen anyone do that. It seems like there are other ways to use one screw to attach a solid clip. I don't see why you couldn't, but I don't know why you'd want to except for the uniqueness.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The only wire clip mod I recall is where someone added a short backward facing loop of wire to the clip grooves on the opposite side of the handle to allow a lanyard to be used.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Holland

Post by Holland »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I did that to my Techno. It took some doing, used 2mm tubing (I think) and a little bit of patience and it worked very well. I like it because it stops the clip of marking up the Ti under it. And gives it good grip on thinner material.

It won't stretch out once you have used heat to shrink it tight to the clip. It will probably get scratched up and maybe worn through eventually...but I can just cut it off and reapply if that happens. But after a few months, no issues so far.
Pics !?
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Holland wrote:Pics !?
I'll see what I can do. Might not be easy to capture...
On the hunt for...