Self-Defense Carry for Smaller Women

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
flash900

Post by flash900 »

A close friend was once shot three times and nearly killed in a robbery while on his way home from work.

He survived, probably because we were running and racing more than five miles a day, which produces extra blood for your body.

In addition to his trauma, I was profoundly affected. I still lock car doors, pay attention to who is walking nearby, and try to keep my wits about me. That is your first line of defense.

Running away is your second.

Most knife makers don't recommend that civilians carry a few inches of steel as a weapon in this age of guns. That said, I don't see anything wrong with discreetly carrying something like the Lil Matriach as a last-ditch backup in case your life is threatened, as long as it's lawful where you live.

Just remember that any law officer looking at the Lil is going to assume that it only has one purpose.

If it were someone I love, I'd give them pepper spray along with advice on how to stay safe.
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie

Post by 224477 »

I do NOT encourage any person /woman nor man/ to carry a knife for SD if the person is not mentally able to USE a knife as weapon and has no proper training in bladed self defense. I suggest to carry an OC spray, kubotan or a firearm better, if that is possible in your country or jurisdiction.
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

224477 wrote:I do NOT encourage any person /woman nor man/ to carry a knife for SD if the person is not mentally able to USE a knife as weapon and has no proper training in bladed self defense. I suggest to carry an OC spray, kubotan or a firearm better, if that is possible in your country or jurisdiction.
+ 10.

Again, having previously taught self defense to women, I've seen it a lot of women's responses to attack. I acted as an attacker in many of the classes. In my school, we didn't do the self-esteem classes that masquerade as women's self defense, we actually had women do live sparring with men in limited light. I'd say somewhere around 3/4 women just froze upon actually being attacked, shaken and or pinned into a corner by an attacker with intent. Most went completely submissive or limp the first few times they were attacked, some just uncontrollably cried. A few went ape-sh#% and actually did really smart things like kick my knees out as a natural reaction.

The point is, anything to avoid contact is better than contact being involved when dealing with a woman without training. Knives are one of the most brutal implements and require intent.

The thing that pisses me off the worst about my girlfriend is that I can buy her every self defense product imaginable, but she won't carry it, making it useless.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
BAL

Post by BAL »

SolidState wrote: The thing that pisses me off the worst about my girlfriend is that I can buy her every self defense product imaginable, but she won't carry it, making it useless.
Sometimes it takes a "close call" type situation to get people to thinking.
I think that if most of the Anti-Gun people would be involved in a "situation",
they might change their minds.

My wief has her CCW and a couple guns and also has a Delica and mace in
her purse. She keeps a gun in a gun vault brand safe (finger open) so it is
there if she needs it and can get to it fairly quickly.

However, I too can't get her to carry it with her. I bought her a real nice
purse at a gun show and other things as well. I have told her that if she
finds herself in a situation, that she can always put it in her purse, pocket
or whatever, but she leaves it in the car. At least it is there.

I always say that just because you have a gun or knife doesn't mean that
you HAVE to use it, but YOU have that option. You don't have that option
if the weapon is home in a safe.
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I carry a Dragonfly on a large key ring with my keys, Rite-Aide wellness card, Maglite AAA Solitaire and other stuff. This is the perfect knife for discrete self defense and by placing it on your key ring it is always with you and in your hand. I have even opened mine a few times and covered it with my hand if I didn't like the looks of things. Also by placing it on a large ring you can place your little finger in the ring which makes it similiar to a Karambit and aids in retention