Spyderco-USA Blade Mark?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cbd

Spyderco-USA Blade Mark?

Post by cbd »

Greetings to the forum, first post. I have a host of questions, like how to
stop the obsession, but I will leave that one for another time.

To the point of the title, can anyone shed some light on the genesis of the blade stamp Spyderco-USA? For example I have two vintage executives, square slab and no steel mark. the PE with the Spyderco-USA stamp and the SE only says Spyderco. What's the difference? They are clearly of the same era, 1983-1984 is my guess and the factory store agrees. I see the same USA stamp on one of my C02's, an SE with unequal scales and no vent.

While we are at it, any comment on the C04 is most welcome; I don't see a lot of recent chatter about this classic little knife on the forum.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

cbd,
Welcome to the forum. enjoy your stay. The most reliable way to stop obsession is to feed it. :D
Sorry, I am not a fan of mariner or executive, so cannot shed much light on the subject.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'd say the one with the USA marking would be the older of the two. The only Executive I have is a somewhat more recent one, marked SPYDERCO only, no steel marking, but with beveled scales but I do have a couple early Mariners stamped SPYDERCO - USA. If I had to venture a guess, it would be that Spyderco was asked by the government to remove the USA to avoid confusion as to country of origin since all the models before the C15 Terzuola, were made in Japan. For whatever reason, aside from the 2 screw Worker, Paramedic version of the Mariner, and Dino Bone presentation version of the Executive, there's not a whole lot of interest in early models.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
cbd

Post by cbd »

Thanks for the remarks and the insight. Deacon, we corresponded before, you may recall, regarding the phantom C02 with a marlin spike (the elusive C06Yachtsman?). I still swear I had one in my hand. Anyway as far as early models, apparently I am a force of one, since I find the vintage SS C01 through C10 most appealing.
Spyderbro

Post by Spyderbro »

[CENTER]A force of many I'm sure... I luv 'em !

Image[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Speak to people as if they were directly in front of you. [/CENTER]
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Cbd,

Welcome to our forum. Deacon's "guess" on the USA is correct.

Hi Spyderbro,

very nice pieces.

sal