CF Dodo question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Vicinadp

CF Dodo question

Post by Vicinadp »

I handles a CF dodo today at my local knife shop and I really like my orange g10 one. I was wondering if anyone who already had one could tell me if the CF they use on this is actually CF or the classic CF thin piece/sticker they throw on G10 like on the Sage, Caly, chaparal, etc.

It didnt look like it was the same fake cf. I was just wondering because I dont want to spend the extra 20-30 bucks compared to what I paid for my orange one if its fake CF
speedcut

Post by speedcut »

I think it s the real deal since only the ones made in Taiwan use the sticker...
Vicinadp

Post by Vicinadp »

Thanks. From what I saw today it looked like the real deal but I just want to make sure
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Yep, full CF. If you look inside the scales, you can see that the CF pattern goes all the way through.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

caly3 is solid CF ? Taiwan made use applied CF to other materials G10? Spyderco has used fake CF? ( I doubt it)

Does some of this info need correcting .

James
I believe in safe queens , they do exist!
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

JCP1969 wrote:caly3 is solid CF ? Taiwan made use applied CF to other materials G10? Spyderco has used fake CF? ( I doubt it)

Does some of this info need correcting .

James
True, The Caly 3 is full CF but its made in Japan. The Taichung knives often have laminated CF. The Sage 1, Chaperral, Szabo, Terzuola Slipit,... have all G-10 with a layer of Carbon fibre on top. If you take a scale of these knives you will see that the inside is plain black G-10 and not CF. Not making this kind of laminated CF a bad handle material, in fact I like the textured "CF" on the Sage, Chap and Terzuola. For the fabric sticker on the Szabo and Air its still to see how wear risitent they are.
I like the way Spyderco tries new materials but they should call it what it is, this would avoid misunderstandings.
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

thanks IG-88. I like all the CF spyderco has used thus far
I believe in safe queens , they do exist!
Vicinadp

Post by Vicinadp »

I agree. I love the look and feel of the laminated CF, but I also agree they shouldnt call it CF it its laminated. Does anyone else know if the peal ply CF they used on the Millie or Para springs is actual CF or laminated. I was just wondering that because I am interested in the up coming CF yojimbo
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Maybe someone can dig up a quote about the laminate CF. Referring to it as a "sticker" is clearly inaccurate no matter the construction.

For something solely designed for tactile sensation I'm curious why its purity matters. Maybe the current style works/wears better. Maybe this application is more costly? Only the maker knows.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Blerv wrote:Maybe someone can dig up a quote about the laminate CF. Referring to it as a "sticker" is clearly inaccurate no matter the construction.

For something solely designed for tactile sensation I'm curious why its purity matters. Maybe the current style works/wears better. Maybe this application is more costly? Only the maker knows.
Its not carbon fibre, its a carbon lie, blerv!!
Sorry, just had to rhyme that :)
People like the concept of purity, when in reality alloys allow performance that would otherwise be unavailable (such as, oh...i dont know...steel :) )
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

IG-88 wrote:The Taichung knives often have laminated CF. The Sage 1, Chaperral, Szabo, Terzuola Slipit,... have all G-10 with a layer of Carbon fibre on top. Not making this kind of laminated CF a bad handle material, in fact I like the textured "CF" on the Sage, Chap and Terzuola.
CF in general is not my favorite handle material. I know than it is a bit lighter (per Spyderco web site CF Mily 115 gram vs G10 Mily 120 gram) and stronger than G10, but I doubt that 99.9 % of users in blind test will notice a difference. So for me CF just a look and IMHO today there is no better looking CF than Taiwanese. So I would rather have "this laminated" than the one, which I have on my Native, Calys, UKPK, Kopa, Para2 and so on.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Cheddarnut wrote:Its not carbon fibre, its a carbon lie, blerv!!
Sorry, just had to rhyme that :)
People like the concept of purity, when in reality alloys allow performance that would otherwise be unavailable (such as, oh...i dont know...steel :) )
"I want to believe (in real CF)! The truth is out there!" - Mulder :D
thelock

Post by thelock »

One of the few things that bugs me about Spyderco, the carbon lie thing, they should state in on the website or the edgeucation that its laminated g10-carbon fiber. Hopefully that will change in the future, oh wait, hopefully they will start using 100% carbon fiber on all knives in the future lol
:spyder: Paramilitary 2
:spyder: Bob Lum Tanto Sprint
:spyder: Anso Zulu
:spyder: Szabo Folder
:spyder: Delica ZDP-189
:spyder: SS Kiwi
:spyder: SS Bug set
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I don't really care if it's laminated or whatever. It looks good and works well. And I don't believe Spyderco is gouging anyone by using this material.
:bug-red-white
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

thelock wrote:One of the few things that bugs me about Spyderco, the carbon lie thing, they should state in on the website or the edgeucation that its laminated g10-carbon fiber. Hopefully that will change in the future, oh wait, hopefully they will start using 100% carbon fiber on all knives in the future lol

lie (definition)
[lahy] Show IPA noun, verb, lied, ly·ing. noun
1. a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; an intentional untruth; a falsehood.

Is that really what you think?
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Another way of looking at it:

lying by omission:

Leaving out a factual detail deliberately that would drastically changed the meaning of what was implied or said.

-or-

When an important fact is omitted, deliberately leaving another person with a misconception.

Now before anyone starts gnashing their teeth at me, I do not think Spyderco is deliberately trying to bend anyone over. I'm just trying to look at it from both sides and by Spyderco not being completely forthcoming and disclosing the actual material, it is easy to see how one may feel short changed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

gbelleh wrote:I don't really care if it's laminated or whatever. It looks good and works well. And I don't believe Spyderco is gouging anyone by using this material.
Technically if one can believe the MSRP model having a specific profit margin (With the exception of the Para2 and Manix2 being thinner), what you pay is a direct multiplier on what it costs.

Sal has said many times before that they rarely beckon to price as a deciding factor. They make a knife the way they want to make it and just charge a higher MSRP. Even if they did use a product just as good but cheaper to finish the ONLY thing that would be different is a lower MSRP. I wouldn't want to pay more for something that isn't a structural or tactile improvement.

Believing it's an inferior product assumes a company with impeccable scruples is trying to pull a fast one. Which even if you take morals out of the mix it seems a pretty questionable gamble with a stellar 30+ year reputation. Those don't grow on trees.

@Jay: Define "important fact". Unless the ELU is a chemist or structural engineer in a carbon fiber facility I doubt they would care. If the "Carbon Fiber_Z" is made from radioactive material and puppy dog tails that becomes a deal breaker for me. Radiation is scary.
thelock

Post by thelock »

Well telling people it is carbon fiber but really it is a mix of g10 and carbon fiber is a lie. Most people are disappointed by this, it's not cool, should be changed.
:spyder: Paramilitary 2
:spyder: Bob Lum Tanto Sprint
:spyder: Anso Zulu
:spyder: Szabo Folder
:spyder: Delica ZDP-189
:spyder: SS Kiwi
:spyder: SS Bug set
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

First question would be, has anyone had the material tested by a lab to determine its exact chemical composition? Just because the inner layers look "different" from the top layer(s) does not necessarily mean those layers do not contain carbon fiber. The underlayers could contain be CF fabric with a different weave, or CF tow, or chopped CF flock. Second would be, assuming the material's manufacturer labels it as CF, should Spyderco have had it tested given that it's not being used as a structural material, merely as a cosmetic one?
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

What would your reaction be if you buy a sterling silver ring for your wife and after a while you discover its plated silver?
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE