How thin is the Civilians tip?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Latro

How thin is the Civilians tip?

Post by Latro »

Is it so thin that it'll break if I look at it wrong, or does it take some abuse?
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

I recently posted on another forum asking for info about this the following we're the replies I got being a theme.
It's a knife designed specifically for a purpose self-defence the tip is thin and will not tolerate usage of any form other than what it was made for.
Eg a friend often practises using his with a soft pillow case marked for certain cuts whilst martial arts training.
The knife did apparently come with a note stating this and any working with the knife would void warranty although I hear this has been removed from runs after the first batch.
So that's all I can say I haven't held one , my friend lives abroad but really would like one bearing in mind it for me would be a collection piece.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Abuse by definition is improper use (ie an excess of force, in this case). For knives like the Civilian that could be cutting thick cardboard specifically with the tip (instead of the middle of the blade). For a Gayle Bradley that could be batoning through cinder blocks. Again, the definition of abuse is the same, just not the parameters assigned because all tools have different thresholds.

I don't own a Civilian nor will I ever. It's over .5" longer than any local county's carry law. Even then it's likely deemed a "deadly weapon" regardless of the blade length. If I did, since most chores involve rescuing food from plastic containers, it would hold up VERY well to my use. If in doubt carry a Ladybug SE as well and use that for cutting through the most evil of things.

I have heard that the Civilian is a tool frequently used for mushroom harvesting. Although, I'm sure any tips broken are just a casualty of trade.
jnichols2

Post by jnichols2 »

I use it on cardboard and plastic clamshells. Just insert the tip and pull.

Don't try using it as a screwdriver or pry bar, but it's not as delicate as it looks. However; there is a note with it.

NOTICE
This knife was NOT designed to be used as a utility knife. It's unique design will not support everyday use and our warranty will not cover the results of using it as a utility knife.
Ladybug, Delica x 2, Endura x 2, Military Black, Manix 2 XL, Civilian, Harpy, Caly 3.5 CF ZDP-189, Sage 1
Tonie Nichols

Post by Tonie Nichols »

I have several dozen Spyderco knives including two Civvies.

I remodeled my carry Civvie for left hand carry (Military right side). I have never cut anything with it other than empty air. For years I tended to scoff at reports of the tips bending and breaking. Just a few weeks ago I opened my knife and found the tip was bent. I have absolutely no idea how this happened. I'm won't even think about trying to straighten it out as I'm afraid the tip will break.

If I carry any hawkbill, from now on it will be either the Byrd or a Spyderhawk.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

In general, people are both made out of, and usually covered in materials significantly harder on a knife than plastics and paper products.
Latro

Post by Latro »

I wouldn't be using it for anything other than carrying it for absolute emergencies.

I just don't want the tip to break if I drop the knife while closed, or something like that.

So it's not incredibly fragile like glass?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Latro wrote:I wouldn't be using it for anything other than carrying it for absolute emergencies.

I just don't want the tip to break if I drop the knife while closed, or something like that.

So it's not incredibly fragile like glass?
Oh heck no!! You won't break VG-10 that easy>> Now I'm assuming that you have one of the VG-10 models. it's been a while since I seen one of the older ATS-55 models anyway. Mainly just don't use it to pry anything with or be using other that what would be defined as knife usage.

If you're serious about making the Civilian your EDC I would also take a look at the Matriarch model if I were you. I used to have 3 Civilians but the Matriarch won my heart a long time ago. it fits my hand better for one and it seems to actually have just a bit stouter blade as well. There's no way you could go wrong with a VG-10 Matriarch. JD
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Latro wrote:Is it so thin that it'll break if I look at it wrong, or does it take some abuse?
I'd put it somewhere in between those extremes. Should be fine for careful use, Sal has spoken of a mushroom farmer who uses them as harvesting tools. But it definitely won't tolerate stupid or clumsy to the same degree most other Spydercos will. Tips on the newer ones are supposedly a bit thicker than the older ones I have, and Matriarch II seems to be even more robust, but I still wouldn't expect it to be as strong as the SpyderHawk's.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
speedcut

Post by speedcut »

Carry accordingly to the note and you will be fine.... It's an extreme tool and it excels in it's domain ... :)
jnichols2

Post by jnichols2 »

Latro,

If you want something for a defense emergency, the Civilian is perfect. Just don't treat it real rough.

If you want a hawkbill to use hard, consider a Harpy. It's a lot sturdier.
Ladybug, Delica x 2, Endura x 2, Military Black, Manix 2 XL, Civilian, Harpy, Caly 3.5 CF ZDP-189, Sage 1
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

The Matriarch 2 is of a similar design and originally came with the same warning note that I understand was later removed. I had a Civilian but sold it.

Here is a comparison picture. You can see the Civilian tip is a bit longer.

C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
Latro

Post by Latro »

For it's intended purpose, I don't know if I can justify spending nearly twice as much for a slightly longer blade and G10 handles. If the Civlian were a nicer steel, I'd be more apt to shell out for it. I'd be so mad if I broke the tip off.

I'll probably just get a Matriarch 2, but I'm not sure yet.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Latro wrote:For it's intended purpose, I don't know if I can justify spending nearly twice as much for a slightly longer blade and G10 handles. If the Civlian were a nicer steel, I'd be more apt to shell out for it. I'd be so mad if I broke the tip off.

Civilian was designed specifically as a last ditch defensive weapon. For years it wasn't even shown in Spyderco's consumer catalogs. The Matriarchs were originally designed as a defensive weapon for South African women. It too was marketed very selectively for years. Like motorcycle helmets, if either does its job once, you've gotten your money's worth. For everyday use just about any knife in Spyderco's lineup would be a more sensible choice.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

It is thin enough to penetrate 3/4" into your skin before you know you've been stuck. :eek:

TedP
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Latro wrote:For it's intended purpose, I don't know if I can justify spending nearly twice as much for a slightly longer blade and G10 handles. If the Civlian were a nicer steel, I'd be more apt to shell out for it. I'd be so mad if I broke the tip off.

I'm a FRN guy personally and would go that route. Still, my preferences don't dismiss the fact that the Civi costs more to make, hence the higher price. For people needing more reach and G10 the extra $60 is a bargain.

Just curious, what do you feel would be a better steel for a last ditch defense tool?
Latro

Post by Latro »

It's not that I think VG10 wouldn't be good for a last ditch tool, or that I think it's overpriced.

It's the fact that I can get a very similar knife (blade shape, steel, same function), for nearly half the cost.

For now I'm going to get the Matriarch 2 because I've been pretty happy with my Endura and Delica.
Rex G

Post by Rex G »

The Deacon wrote:Civilian was designed specifically as a last ditch defensive weapon. For years it wasn't even shown in Spyderco's consumer catalogs. The Matriarchs were originally designed as a defensive weapon for South African women. It too was marketed very selectively for years. Like motorcycle helmets, if either does its job once, you've gotten your money's worth. For everyday use just about any knife in Spyderco's lineup would be a more sensible choice.
I agree. I used to conceal two Civies when at work, then a Karambit replaced one of the Civies. (the very stout Tarani Master Model; pre-5.11 made by Blade-tech) The motorcycle helmet analogy is a good one. To be clear, however, the recurved blade of the Civie is designed, as I understand it, so it will still cut quite effectively, even after the
tip breaks.

The Civie is not an everyday utility knife, but a specialized piece of emergency equipment, carried in addition to an EDC.
Civilians, Dodo, Guntings, Mili, P'kal, Rescues, Ronins, Temperance, others...

Have Colt, will travel.
Zeabed

Post by Zeabed »

I have both an original Civilian (?) and a newer Civilian GS. The original has a tip that seems potentially more "fragile" than that of the newer model. This was apparently a modification in response to feedback.
Attachments
Civilian web 3.jpg
web_2.jpg
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

I may have missed the answer to the question I'm asking but does the matriarch come in g10 as petty as it seems I can't persuade myself to try frn.