Brad Southard Flipper Arrived!! Lots of Photos/Video

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jackthedog

Brad Southard Flipper Arrived!! Lots of Photos/Video

Post by jackthedog »

I got home a bit early from work before the holiday tomorrow and the kind folks at USPS had delivered a new Brad Southard Flipper for me today from Cutlery Shoppe. I think I got really lucky and ordered as soon as the knife hit the site. While I’ve only had it in hand for about an hour, I wanted to take a quick video and some pictures to post given the anticipation level on this knife.

My first impression is very nice. For a larger knife, it’s definitely nice and light. The brown G-10 has a somewhat more aggressive texture than, say, a Para 2. I happen to like it but that’s just me. The action on the knife is very smooth and I think will only smooth out more with use. When closing it, the lock bar has a nice cut out or chamfer/bevel (for lack of a better word) for your thumb to hit and ease closing. As well, the bevel on the G-10 around the lock bar cut out is a nice addition that makes the knife more comfortable to hold. The stonewash on the titanium scale looks great in my opinion. The two things that are a bit off for me is how the clip hits my hand but that might just my grip on the knife. Second, the jimping on the spine is not very aggressive but again, that might just might be my preference for sharper jimping.

Two things struck me as somewhat interesting. First, the blade shape, or at least the shape along the spine, it reminded me of a CRK Umnumzaan. Secondly, in case there was any doubt, this knife is designed to be a flipper. Given the name, this shouldn’t be a surprise but what I mean by this is the opening with the Spyderhole vs. the flipper is a completely different action. Still smooth with the Spyderhole but not as quick and the Spyderhole is quite a bit smaller for a knife of this size. Compared to the Para 2, it’s downright tiny.

The fit and finish for the knife are fantastic and as to be expected from the Taiwan line and lock up is rock solid.

I haven’t had a chance to use the knife at all but I’m hoping it’ll perform well.

Now, for the sad news, I may have to box this up and give it to my wife to wrap for Christmas. Negotiations are ongoing…

Lock Up

Video (Sorry it's so out of focus)

[video=youtube_share;jFELrjLuSC8]http://youtu.be/jFELrjLuSC8[/video]
kens73

Post by kens73 »

I gotta have it.

You lucky dog! :mad:
Lost count ... :spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Super Blue Lover
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Thanks for the pics and video. Looking forward to mine :cool:
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

I am counting down the days until I can get back up to the SFO to pick one up. 9 days and counting.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Thanks for the pics and review :) . Kudos on a very merry Christmas!
Invective

Post by Invective »

****, I really want this knife! But I am saving money for christmas gifts so I have to wait ):

With that said, I really love the jimping they do on this, it looks the same as on the Techno and I adore the ones in it.
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

Thanks for sharing!!!

Drool, drool, drool,.... hope Howe has mine in stock soon! Can't wait!!
Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
Mike157

Post by Mike157 »

Looks very nice. Thanks for the photos and video - nice job. Now that I see what is coming, I'm even more excited. Have a happy Thanksgiving. Mike
Donut

Post by Donut »

That does look pretty sweet. I'm not sure if it's a must have yet.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Chipped Karambit

Post by Chipped Karambit »

The thumbnail of your video had the picture I wanted to see. Thick piece of steel=me gusta. I was thinking about picking up a fixed blade next but it appears this will be on my list for january
brightb

Post by brightb »

Great pics and vid, thanks! Going away for the weekend and mine should be here Monday upon my return. Question: is the G10 side liner titanium too?

Bill
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

brightb wrote:Great pics and vid, thanks! Going away for the weekend and mine should be here Monday upon my return. Question: is the G10 side liner titanium too?

Bill
I believe it may be but I'm not sure.

Glad people enjoyed the post. I have just been informed this will be my Christmas present, so back into the box it goes.
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

Hmmm, CTS-204P has dropped.... what does this mean for the Green Para-Military 2's?

Oh that Southard is sweet, I'll have to wait until later next year to scoop one up if they're still available.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Looks awesome - I hope to try one out someday.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Nice Jack. How's the steel? Have you put it on the EP yet?

Don't sweat it. Christmas is right around the corner, brother! ;) (of course, no selling it then ;) )

Ken
玉鋼
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

I haven't played with the steel yet. I'd like to but I think I will be waiting until December. :D
phaust

Post by phaust »

Is the clip comfortable in a tight grip? The end looks kind of pointy

How's the thickness feel in your pocket?

Thanks for the pics!
tobii3

Post by tobii3 »

That is beautamous!!
Buddha UK

Post by Buddha UK »

Stunning! Thanks for doing the pictures and video. Awesome job yet again Spyderco. :-)
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

phaust wrote:Is the clip comfortable in a tight grip? The end looks kind of pointy

How's the thickness feel in your pocket?

Thanks for the pics!
It isn't that pointy but it does jut out from the handle a bit and that's the part I find kind of uncomfortable. That said, I haven't really used the knife so I might be completely off base.