Spyderco Scout/ Camp knife ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
swampfoxoutdoors

Spyderco Scout/ Camp knife ?

Post by swampfoxoutdoors »

I was wondering why spyderco has not made what I call a camp knife?
A knife like the old case scout knives.

A knife that has a plain edge blade, saw blade and can/ bottle cap opener and some sort of screw/ bit driver?

I think a FRN clipit design with the blades I listed above would be very cool. It would need to be light weight and thin as possible and have at least a locking knife blade and saw blade the others could be of the slip joint design.

what do yall think about the idea? I know spyderco would have a lot of competition when it comes to this type of knife but I think It would sale quite well.
Endura 4, Delica 4, UKPK drop point, Squeak, Ulize
swampfoxoutdoors

No love for the camp concept?
APS

Post by APS »

Too big of a market to break into, increase costs would mean the knife would be fairly expensive and few would buy it. A better combo is a Spyderco and a SAK or Leatherman. That way you have some blade redundancy if one gets lost.
Adam
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Spyderco is juggling lotsa balls at the moment...

I quite like the idea of a Scout Camp Knife...

But, there are so many other brands that provide what you describe...maybe it is not worth the effort to re-invent the wheel?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The opening hole requires more access than a thumb nick, usually a cutaway or thumb ramp. Also, Spydie blades aren't like 1mm thick so multiple tools (and locks) often leads to a thick knife.

The Dyad follows that concept to a degree. For a scout I would rather see a comfortable handle and secure lock than all else. The Harp was kinda goofy and the Wrench was awesome but big and like 9oz.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Yeah, I agree on the competition angle. THere are so many different choices out there.
Many who camp, aren't necessarily "knife" people and would buywhatever hte cheapest
"coolest looking" one was. The grade of steel and quality is probably down the line.
swampfoxoutdoors

I have a few leathermans and a SAK but I would like to be 100% spyderco when it comes to my edged tools I carry into the woods. I know it would be a long shot for them to make one but I can always dream! lol
JD Spydo

Many to choose from>> Try H-1

Post by JD Spydo »

What really defines a "Camp Knife"? The point I'm trying to make is that there are several Spyders that can be used for camping and outdoor activities.

There are many folders and fixed blades. First of all if I were you I would take a serious look at the models in the H-1 Salt Series. They are corrossion resistant and made for hard usage. And there are folders and fixed blades both that are high quality and useful designs.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Well I just got a woodcraft and the next time I go camping after its scaled I know what I'm taking.
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

This idea was brought up once or twice several years ago. It's definitely an interesting idea, and one that I could get behind if it did come to fruition.

As some have said, the competition in that market is stiff. Leatherman and Victorinox (and by extension Wenger) have made their trade on creating tools of this sort. And they've all truly mastered the ability to create a great, high quality "camp tool" at an extremely reasonable cost in most instances. That would make it difficult for a company like Spyderco to "break-in" to that market given the smaller scale of their manufacturing and the higher end materials they usually use. During previous discussions on this, Sal weighed in and complimented the aforementioned manufacturers on their strong, low-cost manufacturing expertise and said something to the effect that it was just outside their niche to go this direction. I do find that a bit unfortunate as I completely understand your desire to be a one-brand man.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

ASmitty wrote:As some have said, the competition in that market is stiff.
Victorinox in particular makes outstanding products. I always have one with me when I'm hiking or camping. I have zero interest in a Spyderco copy that costs $400.

Gordon
swampfoxoutdoors

who said $400 bucks? I wouldn't be either at that price but if it was under 100 bucks I would jump all over it!
BAL

Post by BAL »

The Schempp Rock to me is a beast of a camp kife.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

gaj999 wrote:Victorinox in particular makes outstanding products. I always have one with me when I'm hiking or camping. I have zero interest in a Spyderco copy that costs $400.

Gordon
Well "Gordon" I will second that.. Even though I am a devout Spyderhead and they make up at least 90% of all my cutlery and sharpening tools I still have respect for a few other companies. Victorinox does make a superb multi-tool (Swiss Tool) and their Swiss ARMY knives are the best that I know of. I own a few of their accessories also and find them to be of great quality. I do think that Victorinox does great quality for the money they charge for their items and it's not bad stuff at all. I particularly like many of the blades in the culinary line and again I think their multi-tools are the best out there in my opinion.

I will give credit where credit is due and if a guy is determined to have a classic camp knife I would at least check out Victorinox and do look over their multi-tools.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I actually EDC (literally) a Leatherman Style PS. It's small and has everything I need but no blade. The Spydie takes care of all cutting chores.

Having a tool specifically designed around a blade (or two) vs one that is a combination of things including a blade seems a much different philosophy. Even the Spyderwrench's blade wasn't terrific and it was probably the best of any multi-tool I've used.
APS

Post by APS »

Yeah, I'd imagine the hump of a delica's blade would make it uncomfortable at the least using a screwdriver or saw. Using a Victorinox OHT is a pain to me with the blade closed.
In addition to my Spydie in the right front pocket, when I am out of the house I carry a Vic Alox Soldier in the left front pocket for the screwdrivers/bottle opener, awl/scraper, and back up blade or loaner. The Style PS goes on the keychain for scissors and small pliers.
Adam
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

gaj999 wrote:Victorinox in particular makes outstanding products. I always have one with me when I'm hiking or camping. I have zero interest in a Spyderco copy that costs $400.

Gordon
Agreed. I love my Spydies, but a Victorinox is the one thing I am absolutely never without. I carry either a Climber or Super Tinker with me absolutely every day. I need the scissors, but I go back and forth on the phillips screwdriver or the corkscrew, mind you the only really useful thing about the corkscrew is the tiny eyeglass screwdriver I have tucked into it. It's been the Super Tinker more often of late as I really like the was the phillips sits flush with the handle rather than sticking out like the corkscrew.

I've tried some Wengers and they're nice, but I'm turned off by the fact that a majority of the models have a nail file instead of a small blade and no small flathead on the can opener. Those are two features I use quite often.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

swampfoxoutdoors wrote:who said $400 bucks? I wouldn't be either at that price but if it was under 100 bucks I would jump all over it!
Apparently, I did. ;) Maybe a Byrd could be done for $100, if it only had the three blades mentioned. It's hard for me to imagine that anything like that made by Spyderco could be that cheap. Heck, one bladed FRN handled knives cost that much. And if it was, and they did it, I still wouldn't buy it. I'm picky about my knives. When I hike or camp I generally carry a fixed blade, a folder, and a Vnox of some sort. The fixed blade with the comfortable handle gets used for cutting jobs, the folder is backup, and the multitool is used for other stuff. And to be completely honest, the Vnox gets the most use, and if I were forced to take only one, that would be my choice. It will cut things, after all. I should note that I camp to spend the night near good hiking, not to play Grizzly Adams and spend all my time building shelters and such.

And ASmitty - my corkscrew gets plenty of use, as a corkscrew. ;)

Gordon