Which discontinued model is your favorite??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dbcad

Which discontinued model is your favorite??

Post by dbcad »

My question does not include sprints or Mules ;) I realized today that over a third of the 15 Spydercos I own in this category have been discontinued or are slated to be disco'd this year :eek: I really like every single one of these models :)

I kind of understand why this is so. Roughly whenever a model falls below a certain sales threshold it is discontinued and soon another new model pops in. Given the perpetual evolution of materials and styles this makes sense. Given the disco rate I see, I imagine Spyderco's development pipeline must be quite busy ;)

These observations in no way keep me from using and enjoying the disco'd models I'm fortunate enough to have :) It might go week by week, or day by day, but everyoine of these disco'd models are used, enjoyed and appreciated :D

I latched onto the Caspian Salt yesterday :D I've had this simple piece of sculpted H-1 a few years now. Despite it's being designed as a dive knife I find it very useful for a variety of other tasks. The Caspian is light, simple, capable and tough. I thoroughly enjoy the negative blade angle and the properties of H-1. The large finger hole and hollow grind are also appealing. You can't break this model unless you push the H-1 to the breaking point :D

I'll leave with a pic of the Caspian when it was new, also hoping folks with disco'd models to not be scared to use them ;) Let them do what they were designed to do :D [ATTACH]21095[/ATTACH]
Attachments
caspiannewsmall.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

A quick note:
The pic is still pretty high resolution, quite fun to zoom in on some of the blade details :)

What are you're favorite disco'd models??

Enjoy your knives and keep 'em sharp :)
Charlie

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

That's an easy one for me Charlie, the Kiwi.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Probably the original Manix for me. Or the Dodo, if that still counts.

I think that you set the record for number of emoticons in one post, dbcad. I'm not sure what the prize is for that. It would be cool if it were one of the disco'd knives that we were talking about.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I hear you Paul :) I bought and used one of the SS Chinese Kiwis before I gifted it to friend advising him to keep it open and to use it as a letter opener :) I can only imagine what an older Kiwi would be like. Terrific blade shape :D
Charlie

tobii3

Post by tobii3 »

Easily the Executive (the "Clipette" according to ancient Spydie history, that is)

Looking at all the new steels, it was archaic with G-2..simplicity at its finest...it was also the first Spydie I lost, which made it that more sentimental.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I love my baby Jess Horn, but I wish I could still buy a SPOT. I love the Perrin holes too Charlie.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

I would have to go with the 3" G10 Caly. The 3.5" version is nice, but the smaller one still does everything I need and is a little less scary in the office. If not the caly, I would say the leaf shaped Urban is a close second.

Both are great users.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

mikerestivo wrote:Probably the original Manix for me. Or the Dodo, if that still counts.

I think that you set the record for number of emoticons in one post, dbcad. I'm not sure what the prize is for that. It would be cool if it were one of the disco'd knives that we were talking about.
No prize needed :) I realise how easy it is to misunderstand simple words on a page alone without the nuances of tone, facial expression etc. The smilies aren't perfect but they do help :)

The original Manix would be interesting to check out :) C95??...... Enjoy mikersetivo ;)
Charlie

darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

The PPT. I find it to be the perfect knife. And I'm disappointed at it's disco status..
I walk away slow tonight,
and cut through the air
with a curse, like a knife.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

dbcad wrote:No prize needed :) I realise how easy it is to misunderstand simple words on a page alone without the nuances of tone, facial expression etc. The smilies aren't perfect but they do help :)

The original Manix would be interesting to check out :) C95??...... Enjoy mikersetivo ;)
Heck, I had 2 Manixes until a few weeks ago - I could have donated one to the prize pool!

Just funning with you on the emoticons. I can't use them because, being a Vulcan, I am incapable of showing emotion.
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey Charlie,
Of the models I have, the original Vieles, Centofante 1 and 4 are my favorites.
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Any of the hossoms but I can't say I've experienced them 1st hand the blade shape the micarta and the three different models all add up to a great set of spydies and I'm unashamedly a fixed blade man.
Had a wanted out for ages then removed it and guess what I missed a Bnib day hiker .
Stew a member here even asked jerry himself as he knows him and he couldn't get me one that's when you know they are sought after.
Prospero

Post by Prospero »

ATR. I love the all-metal construction, compression lock, and hooded thumb ramp. I wish this one would come back as a sprint. Slap some G10 scales on and market it as a work knife; or add an FFG blade....(sigh). :o
tobii3

Post by tobii3 »

sharpguitarist wrote:original Vieles
That design should have never been shelved!!
buddhabelly

Post by buddhabelly »

My favorate is the PPT, didn't know they were disco'd
ones I wish i got were the orig yohimbo, ronin and renegade.
is there a list of knives being disco'd this year?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The odder the better for me. I'm ashamed to have sold my Captain during a little financial hardship. Still, carrying the Khukuri makes me smile. :)
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Volpe
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Worker and those old Terzuolas... and I don't have either! We really need some sprints of them.

- best wishes, Jazz.
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Here I go again :rolleyes:
Cento 4

Yes Darkstar, the PPT did not live long enough. I am fortunate to have one & see it becoming an all time classic along with its :spyder: brother the Chokwe.
O.