Szabo Impressions ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

Pocket Sword Baby!!! Love it!!!
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
Pharmagator

Post by Pharmagator »

I carry this... occasionally... (I still haven't found the Spydie that can drive the Millie from my pocket) It is top quality, solid, tough, etc... I have very large hands and this knife ROCKS!!!

I love the Techno, but it gets lost in the palm... so, the Szabo, Millie, Tuff, and Large Lum for me!
:spyder: My motto: Live and don't learn... :spyder:
vinito

Post by vinito »

Does anyone know if the handles are actual carbon fibre slabs or just a layer of carbon fibre with G-10
araneae

Post by araneae »

vinito wrote:Does anyone know if the handles are actual carbon fibre slabs or just a layer of carbon fibre with G-10
Looks like 2 layers in the preceding photo. Not sure why it matters.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

just noticed on the cut out for the lock if you look at the pin that runs through the comp lock theres another liner thats been routed out and sunken into the scale. They definitely wanted this to be a strong knife.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

Anybody have a picture of the Szabo next to an Ayoob?
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

They are very similar in shape and blade angle, but as you can see, the Szabo dwarfs the Ayoob. :eek:

:bug-red-white
thelock

Post by thelock »

You guys that have the knife, updates please :) did they break in, fit and finish etc.

I have one on the way, will probably be a month till it gets here, very excited :)
:spyder: Paramilitary 2
:spyder: Bob Lum Tanto Sprint
:spyder: Anso Zulu
:spyder: Szabo Folder
:spyder: Delica ZDP-189
:spyder: SS Kiwi
:spyder: SS Bug set
RedRunner

Post by RedRunner »

Ordered mine for Szabo direct. Great pricing at $175 and it's an autographed box. The thing looks huge - I like the comment that's a folding sword.
thelock

Post by thelock »

I got mine for 100$, but that was from a friend who sells these.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

gbelleh wrote:They are very similar in shape and blade angle, but as you can see, the Szabo dwarfs the Ayoob. :eek:

:eek: Holy cow. The Ayoob is one of the largest folding knives I'm comfortable carrying (And is big enough to be illegal here in Seattle)... the Szabo makes it look like a ladybug!

They do look really close otherwise. Wonder if Masaad Ayoob and Laci Szabo come from the same martial arts background or the like.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
RedRunner

Post by RedRunner »

thelock wrote:I got mine for 100$, but that was from a friend who sells these.
$100 is a great price. Never seen any at that price.
thelock

Post by thelock »

RedRunner wrote:$100 is a great price. Never seen any at that price.
You won't see them that low, I got it from a friend, to whom I suggested picking some of these up and he is very satisfied, so he gave me a great price on it!
NeverEnough

Post by NeverEnough »

Mine arrived a couple days ago...DEFINATELY a beast of a knife although i was surprised at how dull mine was out the box...hands down the dullest spydie i have ever recieved.Tried back bevelling at 30 on the sharp maker(diamonds right through to ultras)then micro bevelled at 40 (meds through to ultras).Still feels really dull and i can't figure out why....usually get my s30v hair popping...is a thick blade though at 4 mm....guess i'll have to keep on trying.
Found a similar issue with the Navaja .
Anyone else find their Szabo seeming dull out the box?
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Navaja has a thick grind. Might be the same for the Szabo.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

NeverEnough wrote: Anyone else find their Szabo seeming dull out the box?
Mine was the usual Spyderco hair popping sharp.
C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Mine too. I can't say I've ever gotten a dull blade from Taichung.
:bug-red-white
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

It came sharp but I would have preferred a thinner bevel. I know with the 4mm blade stock this wouldn't be easy but the hollow grind should have helped them a little. I find the spring retention is still the same which is good because it's the only thing holding the knife closed. I have the slightest up and down play similar to the first comp locks spyderco made. Of course I did take mine apart this could be a factor The knife is still solid though and hasn't closed unintentionally. I find it to be a nice EDC people don't often notice how large it is until I open it. I'm working on thinning the edge a little but I need coarser stones to speed up the process. I put loc tite on the pivot screw and have had no side to side play since. The handle doesn't really seem to wear much but it's kinda smooth its not peel ply more like a worn peel ply but that's from the factory. Wish it had been made with peel ply g10 or CF. The gold line looks nice and I get compliments on it but the grip leaves something to be desired for me anyway. Overall I do love this knife and I ordered one from amazon and one from Laci. It has some of the biggest pillars I've seen on a spyderco and the screws that go in them are pretty long. The lanyard hole is pressure fitted but the screws are close enough to it that if it weren't it still wouldn't rattle. Wish spyderco had drilled the indent for the detent ball in the locking leaf to sit in the blade to provide some retention without the spring. I like to think of the Szabo as a work out for my thumb so I can open other spydercos easier.
NeverEnough

Post by NeverEnough »

was wondering how other szabo owners were getting on as far as sharpening goes....any feedback welcome...