C01 Worker sprint run?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Post by sal »

You are fairly new to posting on this forum and we're glad to have you join our group. We have many reasons for what we do and we're happy to share those thoughts. We are always trying to improve our models in addition to creating new models. The latest model will generally be a "better" knife than the previous models. You could call it refinement, evolution, we call it CQI (Constant Quality Improvement) and we try to maintain that.

Input for improvement comes from our own carry and use as well as suggestions from our customers .

We also have people that for one reason or another, would like an opportunity to experience a design that is not in regular production. When we do that (Sprints), we change materials or some features to distinguish it from preovious models. This was for those that collect our knives and we don't want to hurt the collector value of an older model.

As you watch this forum, you will see regulars suggesting one design or another for a Sprint. Most of our sprints come from those suggestions. Usually about 4 models per year.

Hope that helps.

sal
DM11

Post by DM11 »

G-10, VG10 sounds good to me! :)
Hold Fast

David
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

DM11 wrote:G-10, VG10 sounds good to me! :)
me too! The Worker sure has an interesting history (spydiewiki.com, C01 Worker, for example). With the powerful kickoff it provided with all its new features, it's no wonder Spydies have swept the world :) It's interesting to me that the swedge was sharpened on the first models -- that totally explains the unique blade design. Now don't y'all go sharpening your swedges when you get yours... (wags finger) :p
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Count me in, regardless of how it comes out. My original Worker was lost many many moons ago and I have a lot of fond memories of that knife. It was the first truly "modern" knife I ever owned. Up to that point, I'd only used traditional folders (peanuts, trappers) and fixed blades (Buck Pathfinder). The Worker opened my eyes to a whole new realm of possibilities for knives.

Thank you, Sal!

TedP
Parhelion

Post by Parhelion »

Hi, everyone! It is my first post here and the reason is c01 sprint run. I`m really excited about it and looks like I`m not only one. I see a lot of enthusiasm here and on other forums. Practically everyone want it. I`m afraid to be not able to get Worker, it is harder in my country (Ukraine).

So, Sal I hopes it will be a pretty BIG run. By the way any info about when c01 will be available?

Sorry for my English, I`m not a native speaker obviously.
Alnamvet68

Post by Alnamvet68 »

Well the Worker is a reality, in green G10, VG10, a sprint run, and in the 2014 catalog. Material choice is right, so the price should be right...no need for steel snobbery which translates into ridiculously high MSRP's; heck, I'd be happy if it came with GIN1 steel.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

It looks great. Hope I don't miss it.
- best wishes, Jazz.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Parhelion,

Zdorovenki Buli (I hope that this is close enough to understand :) ), Welcome to the Forum. Enjoy your stay.
If you concern with sprint, place pre-order with one of US dealers, who ships internationally and you will be all seel.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Who is taking pre-orders for the 2014 sprint runs? :confused:
Parhelion

Post by Parhelion »

bh49 wrote:Parhelion,

Zdorovenki Buli (I hope that this is close enough to understand :) ), Welcome to the Forum. Enjoy your stay.
If you concern with sprint, place pre-order with one of US dealers, who ships internationally and you will be all seel.
Hi! Yeah it is absolutely perfect transliteration of Ukrainian old-fashioned salutation =) thank you. My native language is Russian but it doesn't matters. This forum such a comfy place.

I will think about some kind of more direct purchase. For now I bought Spyderco knives at local stores and resellers only and their price is much higher for obvious reasons.
Alnamvet68

Post by Alnamvet68 »

eric m. wrote:Who is taking pre-orders for the 2014 sprint runs? :confused:
No one, in fact, three of my go to online vendors weren't even aware the Worker was being re-issued.
Holland

Post by Holland »

very happy this is getting another run, but kinda disappointed with the materials being used... i had envisioned SS handle with ZDP189 steel
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
VWTattoo

Post by VWTattoo »

I am stoked to grab this Sprint Worker, and think the choices in handle material/color and steel were spot on target for a reissue. By that, I mean G-10 is affordable, grippy, easy on the eyes, and practical. VG-10 steel is the "staple" steel of the day for Spyderco, just like Gingami-1 had been the main steel in use. It is easy to sharpen, has great edge retention, and isn't overly expensive unlike the CPM steels available and used in other models.

Sure, a super steel and super handle material would be sweet, but by sticking with the above choices, they've kept the price of this sprint within reach of most people. Kudos to them for doing so!
2004 VW R32 :cool:
Got GIN-1?
arty

Post by arty »

Does anyone know if it has full liners, and the handle size and blade length? I would really like to see one in the exact configuration of the original.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Sal - I can't tell from the pictures in the catalog... Is the Worker sprint pinned or screw construction?

TedP
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

phillipsted wrote:Sal - I can't tell from the pictures in the catalog... Is the Worker sprint pinned or screw construction?

TedP
Ted,

Obviously, I'm not Sal or with :spyder: co but my 2 cents... It looks pinned and I'm thinking this sprint will be made by the same maker and factory (Moki) that's been doing the Caly runs. All pinned construction if I recall correctly.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
MatthewSB

Post by MatthewSB »

Does anyone know how much these should cost? I think MSRP was $280, and I've seen pre-orders for $180ish which seems very high for a sub 3" folder made out of G10 and VG10. I imagine that this is due to the weak dollar vs the yen?
Chris_H wrote:It looks pinned and I'm thinking this sprint will be made by the same maker and factory (Moki) that's been doing the Caly runs. All pinned construction if I recall correctly.
The picture at at one of the sites taking pre-orders shows screwed construction, just like the Police III G10, Lava G10, etc. I hope it's accurate, I probably won't buy one if it's pinned.
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

If it's screw construction, cool! Personally, I won't be swayed on purchasing whether it is pins or screws.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

[deleted]
Last edited by MachSchnell on Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MatthewSB

Post by MatthewSB »

MachSchnell wrote:I'm interested in the design, but not in the price point. The g10 delicas, enduras, and the brown calypso sprint were all under $180 street price.
Weren't they right around $100?