Native5 or Para-Military2 for EDC?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dub

Native5 or Para-Military2 for EDC?

Post by dub »

Hey guys, semi-new Spyderco fan here. I'm wondering what you guys think would be a better EDC for me as I haven't really seen too many comparisons. I have narrowed it down to these two for my EDC. I have a Delica4 which I love. I love the size and the handle so I'm starting to think the N5 might be a little better for me. I have semi-small hands. I don't normally use my knives hard, just the normal everyday, "good to have a knife" type tasks but want something durable enough to handle hard use if need be. For larger knives I like my Benchmade 940 and 746 albeit a little too beefy for my pocket so I don't think the PM2 will be too big to get used to.

I'm torn because both look awesome and intrigue me but I can't decide between the two. Steel doesn't really matter to me. Anyone mind sharing their opinions?

Thanks guys

Also, those looking for a PM2, Cutlery Shoppe has the C81GP2 model in stock as of now. Thinking of picking up two and store one since these are becoming harder to come by :)
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

I am a little biased towards the PM2 as I own 5 or 6, have not counted recently. Any true knife nut owes has to atleast give it a try as I consider it the pinacle of folding knives at the price point it sells for. Pick one up and give it a try, if the PM2 isn't for you then you will have no trouble unloading it for the price you paid as in demand as the model is right now. That being said, I don't own a native 5 but I have played with one multiple times. It is a great knife, very nice EDC size, very stout construction and one will someday grace my pocket. It just doesn't compete with the PM2.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
BAL

Post by BAL »

To me the Para 2 is about as good of an all-around knife as you can get. The ergo's are
awesome, it opens and closes as smooth as any that I have. The compression lock makes
it sweet to open and close one handed. The blade is big but not too big.
There are a few Spyderco's knives that I think are must haves and the Para Military is
one of them.

Good luck
APS

Post by APS »

I kind of prefer the Native V over the Para2 mainly b/c of the size. I lead a pretty mundane knife-using life and every time I pulled out my Para2 to slice open an envelope or bag of chips it felt so excessive. I've had 2 PM2s and sold both. I haven't encountered a non-kitchen knife task yet in 20 years that the blade length of a delica or Native wouldn't be able to handle even if it had to make an extra cut or 2.
Adam
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I definitely prefer the Para 2 but they're both nice knives.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I recently added a Native 5 to my rotation and find it to be a very well built knife. I used a Native Lightweight for years so find the rgos very familiar and comfortable. Based on your actual knife needs it may be the way to go.

That being said I agree with the other posters that the Para 2 is in a class by itself for value. It is sometimes a bit hard to justify the size for my needs which is why I would lean to the Native 5 for EDC.

Very tough call on these two.
phaust

Post by phaust »

The Para2 is even bigger than the Benchmade 746 (except edge length unfortunately). The Native 5 will be closer to Delica sized.

(next one I didn't realize I had the Para2 crooked til I was uploading the pic, so they appear the same length closed but actually aren't)

bh49

Post by bh49 »

With all due respect to Para2 I strongly prefer Native5. I love this knife. It feels so good in my hand. I absolutely hate to admit, but Native5 kicked Caly out my pocket, which I carried for years. Native4 couldn't do this. I hope this is just temporary. Every day in the morning, when I put N5 in my pocket I see Caly3.5 lonely laying on the counter again and feel shame. But I just cannot stop using Native5. It is loosing initial sharpness fairly fast, but even than it goes through cardboard like laser. And than just few passes on the flats of medium rod and it is razor sharp again. Terrific knife.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
BAL

Post by BAL »

Funny that some say the Para 2 is too big. The only issue that I have had with the
Para2 is that it isn't big enough, I carry the Military more often. The Military 2 might
just be the cat's meow.

The Native 5 TI fluted has my interest though, but the blade is only 3".
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Do you have any legal carry restrictions? The Native being exactly 3" is less likely to conflict with certain counties than the Para2 at 3.5". Funny enough 3.5" is still MUCH less likely to conflict than 3.6". It seems they exponentially reduce by .5" incriments of blade.
raven

Post by raven »

You can't go wrong with either. I have both and they both perform very well. I find that EDCing the Native 5 is much less threatening in public. At least for me and my location :rolleyes: . Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I like the N5 better than the PM2, but the Military more than either.
On the hunt for...
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I like the N5 better than the PM2, but the Military more than either.
Speaking of... What ever happened to the S110V Native? I thought we might see it by now.

Ken
玉鋼
DeathBySnooSnoo

kbuzbee wrote:Speaking of... What ever happened to the S110V Native? I thought we might see it by now.

Ken
Didn't Sal say it was going to be an FRN handled knife? Maybe they are still working out the details....though seems a pity to put that steel into FRN.
On the hunt for...
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Didn't Sal say it was going to be an FRN handled knife? Maybe they are still working out the details....though seems a pity to put that steel into FRN.
No arguement here. That knife cries for some sculpted Micarta.

Ken
玉鋼
DeathBySnooSnoo

kbuzbee wrote:No arguement here. That knife cries for some sculpted Micarta.

Ken
I'll agree with micarta...sculpted I'm not sure about.
On the hunt for...
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I'll agree with micarta...sculpted I'm not sure about.
Flat slabs would be okay but I'd like a bit of contour, rounding the edges and such. Just my preference... I think it fits the design well.

Ken
玉鋼
DeathBySnooSnoo

Oh I see what you are saying. Yes that would be good. I thought that you meant like carved and sculpted flats, like a pattered scale.
On the hunt for...
bh49

Post by bh49 »

kbuzbee wrote:No arguement here. That knife cries for some sculpted Micarta.

Ken
What color? Anyway I am in for at least two. who is taking pre-orders? :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
DeathBySnooSnoo

See Sal...S110V needs micarta, not FRN :D
On the hunt for...