2013 Spyderco Discontinued Product List - OFFICIAL

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Tally-ho

Post by Tally-ho »

I hope that the PPT will come back in a new version with full titanium handle (Reeve Integral Lock) + Ti back-spacer.
Maybe as a collaboration with Sacha Thiel:
(Source: http://www.sthiel.fr/en_atelier.html)

(Source: http://a-couteaux-tires.zevillage.org/n ... pt-parfait)

Or with carbon fiber:
(Source: http://www.sthiel.fr/en_gal_pliant.html)
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

Tally-ho wrote: Or with carbon fiber:
(Source: http://www.sthiel.fr/en_gal_pliant.html)
That CF is purty. I'd like to see, and wish they'd done this from the start with the PPT and Zulu, is using multi-colored micarta or G-10, so that the contours of the handle millwork show off the different layers, like you see in some Benchmades (Like the 950) and a lot of high end fixed blades. Basic black is boring.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Tally-ho -

That Ti version is really great. Is the width of the handle thinner with the Ti scales than the normal factory G-10 scales?
Tally-ho

Post by Tally-ho »

yowzer wrote:That CF is purty. I'd like to see, and wish they'd done this from the start with the PPT and Zulu, is using multi-colored micarta or G-10, so that the contours of the handle millwork show off the different layers, like you see in some Benchmades (Like the 950) and a lot of high end fixed blades. Basic black is boring.
+1
IMHO, dark/clear blue G-10 like on this prototype would have been better.
mikerestivo wrote:Is the width of the handle thinner with the Ti scales than the normal factory G-10 scales?
Yes it is thinner, see other pictures with the link under the 2nd picture (in post #61).
But Sacha is a custom knives maker and there are different versions with a bit thicker Ti scales or corrugated Ti (not sure that it is very comfortable in hand).

As the PPT is about the same size as a Sage 2, Spyderco can make it with the same scales width to keep it slim in the pocket.
He added a small pin to avoid to over travel the locking bar.
Tally-ho

Post by Tally-ho »

yowzer wrote:That CF is purty. I'd like to see, and wish they'd done this from the start with the PPT and Zulu, is using multi-colored micarta or G-10, so that the contours of the handle millwork show off the different layers, like you see in some Benchmades (Like the 950) and a lot of high end fixed blades. Basic black is boring.
+1

Yes it is thinner, see other pictures with the link under the 2nd picture (in post #61).
But Sacha is a custom knives maker and there are different versions with a bit thicker Ti scales or corrugated Ti (not sure that it is very comfortable in hand).

As the PPT as about the same size as a Sage 2, Spyderco can make it with the same scales width to keep it slim in the pocket.
He added a small pin to avoid to over travel the locking bar.
angusW

Post by angusW »

I'm assuming that when Spyderco says "2013 Spyderco Discontinued Product List", that means the models listed in this thread will no longer be produced at the end of 2012 or does it mean they have stopped production as of now?
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

angusW wrote:I'm assuming that when Spyderco says "2013 Spyderco Discontinued Product List", that means the models listed in this thread will no longer be produced at the end of 2012 or does it mean they have stopped production as of now?
They have stopped production now and are only shipping any remaining stock, if I understand correctly. The 2013 part probably just means they were in the 2012 catalog, but won't appear in the 2013 catalog.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

I did not think that there would be so much discussion over the PPT. It is one of the best Knives in the range for me as well although I would have wished for the metal liners to be slightly thinner in relation to the blades thickness. Colored G10 slabs sound great too. Glad to see such affection for this little knife.

Too bad that I also can't get myself a second knife of this type but if there is any CQI done on this knife, things will surely only get better. Looking forward to some sprints. My black original production PPT knife is one of the best Spydies I own.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I also really like the PPT. I hope they do come out with a similar model soon.
:bug-red-white
swampfoxoutdoors

Post by swampfoxoutdoors »

I really hope Spyderco keeps the UKPK line alive. I have 4 spydercos and quite a few other well made knives locking and non locking but I find myself carrying my UKPK most of all. Mine is the pre forked slip lock design and In my mind the locking mechanism could be stiffened up a bit. The only improvements I would like to see is more color options and stiffer spring. And if they can make a sub 2 oz knife any lighter by all means have at it spyderco!!!!!
Endura 4, Delica 4, UKPK drop point, Squeak, Ulize
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

3.5 inch PPT in a different color and lighter weight (titanium liners) would be perfect.

Been back and forth about ordering one from Sacha :o
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I will miss Leaf Storm.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
dwong

Post by dwong »

+1 on full Ti RIL.
Currently version just don't live up to the original clean line design.
Tally-ho wrote:I hope that the PPT will come back in a new version with full titanium handle (Reeve Integral Lock) + Ti back-spacer.
Maybe as a collaboration with Sacha Thiel:

(Source: http://a-couteaux-tires.zevillage.org/n ... pt-parfait)

)
I see the atoms free and fine,That bubble like a sparkling wine; I see the songs Electrons sing,Jumping from ring to outer ring;
-Lister
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

As long as we're discussing changes to a future PPT-like knife, I'd like to see a clip with a less pointy tip. Otherwise, I really like the clip.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

Tally-ho wrote:+1
This. A thousand times this. That's gorgeous. More knives need color.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
Infinite Zero

Post by Infinite Zero »

I just picked up a Breeden Rescue at a great close out price. It made a knife I'd been thinking about into an easy purchase.

Interestingly, the date code on the box is KL, meaning November 2012. I'm guessing the decision to discontinue the Breeden Rescue was made right before this list was announced.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I just got a Breeden Rescue too. I found it interesting, but didn't get around to buying one until it was discontinued. But I'm glad I did, it's very nice.
spyderedge

Post by spyderedge »

****, I really wanted a spyderco from the bug set, are all the UKPKs' and the knives in the bug series gone?
I also wanted a persan 2, And the rescue in SE...
Oh well...
My :spyder: Endura 4 FFG Plain, Black in VG-10 had been my faithful EDC companion since 9/26/2012
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

spyderedge wrote:****, I really wanted a spyderco from the bug set, are all the UKPKs' and the knives in the bug series gone?
I also wanted a persan 2, And the rescue in SE...
Oh well...
AFAIK, only the packaged Bug Set is being dropped. The Bug, Honeybee, and Grasshopper will continue to be sold individually.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

I really like the PPT. i cant believe i waited until it was discoed before i bought one. If i had known i would have bought one a while ago.
Didnt care much for the feel of the Breeden. The lock is also as a funky angle and difficult for me to disengage. I do like the blade shape though. I can see that being very nice for rescue operations and not wanting to stab things.

JD