2013 Spyderco Discontinued Product List - OFFICIAL

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

razorsharp wrote:Need a backup ppt and to pick up a superleaf
Evil D wrote:****...i really need to make a decision on the Superleaf.
Don't let the superleaf pass you by...
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Infinite Zero

Post by Infinite Zero »

I need to get ahold of a Breeden rescue.
thelock

Post by thelock »

Nooo not the Zulu.
:spyder: Paramilitary 2
:spyder: Bob Lum Tanto Sprint
:spyder: Anso Zulu
:spyder: Szabo Folder
:spyder: Delica ZDP-189
:spyder: SS Kiwi
:spyder: SS Bug set
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I have a feeling there are either going to be a lot of sad brits, or there's going to be FRCP UKPKs coming out with FFG blades or something.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Clip

Post by Clip »

I'm betting the UKPK will reappear, but I need to ---- or get off the pot on that PPT. I've been eyeballing it for a month now.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

Quite suprised to see the UKPK being dropped.... I really hope its true that they are replacing them with something newer.

I have a UKPK G10 drop point and honestly it's up there with one of my best EDC knives I own. One of my friendliest looking Spydercos!
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
Donut

Post by Donut »

Wow, those are some interesting Discontinues.

PPT is an amazing blade. The UKPK, I need to pick up some more of those, I lost my "good" one. It will be interesting to see what replaces them.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I thought the backspring sucked on the FRN UKPK so I'm glad it's gone. Never cared for it. The G10 models were awesome, as is the Titanium model.

Nothing else surprises me on the list. In fact, this is probably the first year that I agree that all the stuff on the list should be out the door.
  • Zulu is just not practical.
  • PPT is very "niche" based.
  • The Persians were killed when they went to all G10. That knife just sucked. It was perfect when it had a Micarta handle with a nice bolster.
  • Large LUM Chinese became less elegant with G10. Just not the same.
Just my $0.02. :)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Knifestyle

Post by Knifestyle »

Looks like I need to hurry up my choosing a color/blade shape UKPK after all...Shame to see it go.
ChaoticLuck

Post by ChaoticLuck »

Surprised the Cat, and Chicago aren't listed. They don't seem to be popular models.
Uke

Post by Uke »

SolidState wrote:I have a feeling there are either going to be a lot of sad brits, or there's going to be FRCP UKPKs coming out with FFG blades or something.
Yup, Sal mentioned recently over on British Blades that the UKPK lightweight is going FFG :D

Hopefully that is still the case!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sequimite wrote:I forgot.

I guess the online catalog doesn't show it discontinued until they are out of stock.
I have never understood Spyderco's online catalog or how to even individually search for any item on their website. I was a bit embarrassed the other day a good friend of mine wanted to see a picture of the Southfork and I tried to pull it up on Spyderco.com but I ended up going to another website to get a picture of it. Maybe I'm not doing something right but I've never had much luck looking up certain products on the website.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Uke wrote:Yup, Sal mentioned recently over on British Blades that the UKPK lightweight is going FFG :D

Hopefully that is still the case!
Only thing I found surprising was that the only versions of the UKPK that appear to have avoided the axe are the full serrated ones. I can see the combo edge versions being dropped, combo edge is almost always a dog. I but have a hard time imagining serrated outselling plain edge in anything other than sheepsfoot, hawkbill, and reverse-S blades. However, if the PE ones are going to reappear in FFG, dropping the current versions makes more sense.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
BAL

Post by BAL »

pdptrow wrote:Decision decisions, LH Millie is probably my first choice, and the PPT is a nice one too. I am left handed. I wonder how long stock will be available?
Any one want to offer suggestions on either of those? Both would be nice but probably not going to happen.
Hey pdptrow, If I was left handed I would definately pick up a LH Millie while I had a chance.
I am a righty and I thought about it anyway. I don't know if there will be another lefty Millie
version coming out, but I would hate to miss one while I had a chance. The Military is a
must in my view.
Nederspyder

Post by Nederspyder »

Not the Chokwe?!? Hopefully someday it will return as sprint....
v34

Post by v34 »

gbelleh wrote:I wonder if there will be a polished G-10 handle Puukko coming?

Make that another vote for that or a micarta handle. I'm amazed the Puuko gas been 'cut' so soon but I hung off for a non wood handled version.
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

Not surprised by the Puukko at all. Gorgeous knife. It has the hole which turned a whole bunch of people off, the steel was a bit 'iffy' due to to it's high machining costs and relative difficulty in sharpening except at home, and the cost was simply out of many folks price ranges for a Puukko-type of knife which is fairly strongly tied into outdoorsy stuff in the U.S. psyche. Beat the crap out of a Mora or ESEE at well under or around $100? Yes, please! Beat the crap out of a $200+ dollar street price knife that looks that nice? No, thanks.

Beautiful knife, though. :)
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

The discontinuation of the Puukko applies to the wooden handled version. It is being replaced by a brown G-10 handled version.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
vinito

Post by vinito »

Sounds good Micheal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JD Spydo wrote:I have never understood Spyderco's online catalog or how to even individually search for any item on their website. I was a bit embarrassed the other day a good friend of mine wanted to see a picture of the Southfork and I tried to pull it up on Spyderco.com but I ended up going to another website to get a picture of it. Maybe I'm not doing something right but I've never had much luck looking up certain products on the website.
Their naming conventions in the drop down alpha list menu are pretty messed up, especially the collaboration models. Some are listed by the model name, some by the designer's first name, some by the designer's last name. Sometimes I have to look in all three places before I find a knife, sometimes I get lucky. Using the search box can help, but only if you know the exact spelling. The Southfork is there, but it's listed as the Phil Wilson South Fork, so "southfork" won't work, although just plain "fork" works just fine. :rolleyes:
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!