Explain the Mule concept.

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
swampfoxoutdoors

Explain the Mule concept.

Post by swampfoxoutdoors »

I have been a spyderco folder nut now for about 3 years. I have seen the mule series of knives but just don’t fully understand the concept. I know they are made out of different steels Im guessing to show case what steels spyderco offers. But I have a few questions about the knives. My first question is are all of the mules the same size, shape and pattern? Are they all drilled or milled to accept a standardized scale? Also who all make scales for them? If I get one I would be looking for micarta scales, nothing to wild. I am interested In buying one for general hunting and camping use so what steels should I look for? Also I know there are tons of different sheathing options out their, who all makes good quality hunting/ camping belt sheaths? Any information on the topic will be greatly appreciated. And links to web sites which offer scales/ handles and sheathes for the mule series of knives.
phaust

Post by phaust »

They aren't to showcase what steels Spyderco offers really because many of them are in steels not in Spyderco knives yet--and that's part of the point. It gives you a chance to try different steels in a constant design to see how they stack up (so yes all the mules are the same size/shape/pattern, though there have been different in finishes). That also gives Spyderco feedback from the customer base on how they like them so as to know whether it's worth using in the future. In case you haven't seen it, the Mule Team blurb from Spyderco explains it well I think:
The Mule team project was created as a simple, inexpensive venue for "steel junkies" to have an opportunity to test different blade steels themselves. Each run will have different interesting steel. Each run will have the same pattern, a fixed blade with a full tang. Each run will have the same thickness, grind, edge and will be heat treated to the optimal hardness for that steel. No handle, scales or sheath are provided. This not only saves you funds, but gives you the opportunity to make (or have made) custom handles and sheaths.
That's an excerpt from http://www.spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/index.php?item=13

Cucasci makes scales: http://www.cuscadi.de/
Halpern makes some popular ones, but it looks like their website is down: http://www.halperntitanium.com/
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

The Mule concept kind of started right here, I think. The basic principle is to have the exact same knife and grind made with different steels for us knifeknuts to test out. Spyderco is not so much showcasing, but gathering test results from us customers to see how the different steels perform. Having the same knife and grind for each model, helps to get the best results. I'm sure there's an entire detailed article or description somewhere on the spyderco.com website. So yes, all knives are the exact same size, shape, pattern and grind. To keep cost down, there are no scales or sheaths offered. That's up to us. Halpern titanium has stepped up and offers standard sized scales that work on each mule. I'm sure a couple of other companies/shops offer them too. There is a plethora of custom sheath makers out there, a forum or web search should turn op many options. My favorite custom sheath maker is Mike Sastre.

edit: I just noticed pfaust's post, simultaneous post. :(
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
swampfoxoutdoors

thanks for the info guys. I guess I looked over the spyderco page explaining it, my bad.

do you know of anyone state side that makes micarta scales for them?
swampfoxoutdoors

where is do I buy a mule at? just looking on the internet I am having a hard time locating a seller. DO you have to buy direct from spyderco?
rycen

Post by rycen »

swampfoxoutdoors wrote:where is do I buy a mule at? just looking on the internet I am having a hard time locating a seller. DO you have to buy direct from spyderco?
They're only available direct from Spyderco.
swampfoxoutdoors wrote:thanks for the info guys. I guess I looked over the spyderco page explaining it, my bad.

do you know of anyone state side that makes micarta scales for them?
I don't know of any site that has scales in micarta prefab but any Knifemaker could easily accommodate you.
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
phaust

Post by phaust »

phaust wrote:so yes all the mules are the same size/shape/pattern
Mr Blonde wrote:So yes, all knives are the exact same size, shape, pattern

edit: I just noticed pfaust's post, simultaneous post. :(
Almost word for word in that part lol. Great minds and all that :D

swampfoxoutdoors wrote:where is do I buy a mule at? just looking on the internet I am having a hard time locating a seller. DO you have to buy direct from spyderco?

Direct from Spyderco. They are only one run and once sold out are gone.

edit: just got phaust'ed by rycen :p
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

One other place to fine Mule's is on ebay, but usually at double the original cost. If there was a "must have" steel you wanted, that might be a place to find one.

Interesting that the one steel that came out in blades before a Mule version was CTS-XHP (IE Techno) But back on 9-28 Sal posted this on BF.

"We've had many requests for a Mule Tream in XHP so we decided to make one. Just finished grinding."

"sal"

Then on 10-28 for a release date.

"Shouldn't be more than a few weeks."

"sal"

So you might not have to wait long for a new one.
C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
macatac

Post by macatac »

I ordered some Micarta scales from Halpern and they are pretty cool. I called them to get the G-10, but the nice woman mentioned the micarta and I said sure. They are very high quality and look good. I got a Kydex sheath from Sheath Pro, the same folks Spyderco uses. I have made two handles, but I needed on quick for a hunting trip, so I ordered these.
Good luck,
macatac
swampfoxoutdoors

so sithus you are saying that spyderco will be releasing a new mule in the near future? in the next 1-3 months?

I guess I am not a steel junky but I do appreciate good quality steel. With that said I just want a good quality spyderco fixed blade to carry hunting and camping. something I can personalize, so the mule is right up my alley.

also macatac, halperns web site is down so I can not see what they have to offer. Did you just email / call them and have them send you a product list? and what is the difference between micarta and G-10?
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Cuscadi makes really nice micarta scales. Also keep in mind that you'll need a sheath for the knife after you get scales on it if you are planning to haul it around in the woods.

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
swampfoxoutdoors

I was going to bight down on it with my teeth and carry it thru the woods that way! lol

Yea I have found a few different folks making kydex and leather sheaths. Not really sure which way I will go as far as material. I found a guy in Germany that makes great looking leather pouch sheaths buy I have no idea how to buy over seas like that. Their are a few guys I know here in Georgia that I have meet thru GON which is a Georgia outdoor forum. I think that they could build me what I want with minimal head ache when it comes to shipping and paying.
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Mr Blonde wrote:The Mule concept kind of started right here, I think. The basic principle is to have the exact same knife and grind made with different steels for us knifeknuts to test out. Spyderco is not so much showcasing, but gathering test results from us customers to see how the different steels perform. Having the same knife and grind for each model, helps to get the best results.. :(
+1
This has always been my understanding of the projects intent as well. I do think the Mule project has evolved since it started. I think people gravitate toward the mules for many different reasons now. I am surprised that there seems to be little testing or test data/threads that I can see for many different versions of the Mule. I think out of everyone buying mules, there is little testing being done these days. If the project is designed for Spyderco to gather test data on steel, I hope they are getting more results than I can see.
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

brian
http://www.countryknives.com

Being vigilant in the world of sharp one edge at a time.
swampfoxoutdoors

where is the best place to keep checking for new info on possible new mule release? Forums or spyderco web site?
Endura 4, Delica 4, UKPK drop point, Squeak, Ulize
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

Usually new products get announced here:
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/forumdis ... ouncements

But it seems that page is a bit behind in it's times as there have been several models that have come out that are not on there. Usually you will here about one just from someone's post about it. You can always go to the Spyderco page and click the "New Knives" button and see whats there.

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/list.php?filter=new
C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
Stew

Post by Stew »

For scales, have a check through the Show your Mules thread and find someone's work you like then drop them a note. ;)
Cheers,
Stew.

[CENTER]www.StewartJLight-Knives.com[/CENTER]
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Like the Elmax in horse chestnut that one I particularly like and the scales are fantastic one of my favourite all time knives scaled by ^ cheers Stew ;)
Stew

Post by Stew »

Bladekeeper wrote:Like the Elmax in horse chestnut that one I particularly like and the scales are fantastic one of my favourite all time knives scaled by ^ cheers Stew ;)
I'm not surprised. :D Have you seen the next one on it's way?
Cheers,
Stew.

[CENTER]www.StewartJLight-Knives.com[/CENTER]
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Which way mate I snagged a s30v woodcraft mule this afternoon or you the one you got going ;)