Would you buy a Spyderco torch

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bladekeeper

Would you buy a Spyderco torch

Post by Bladekeeper »

Just thinking out loud how about a torch a good brand teams up with Spyderco on the face is the outline of the spyder, so that when it's shone a spyder symbol is imposed on whatever it's pointed at I'd buy one
Any thoughts (apart from the obvious I need medical help) ;)
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

That's a tough market to jump into. It's also funny because Americans call it a flashlight.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Yeah just a novelty idea the translation thing I forget about eg a fanny in America has a different meaning to it in the uk but its 4.34am and I think I need some sleep lol.
CombatGrappler

Post by CombatGrappler »

Spyderco has dipped its toes into the "torch" market before.

I think it'd be cool to have a Ladybug paired up with a Photon light that throws a Spydie symbol.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I would love to see Spyderco team up with a company like Peak on small run basis. Nothing against foreign lights (I have a TON of them) but Peak makes much cheaper products than the other American makers. Smaller EDC type ones too like the Eiger AAA.

If there was a 600 piece Native5 and Peak Eiger set it would cost about $160 at the current pricing. That's one-stop-shopping for a very solid setup, IMHO.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Bladekeeper wrote:Just thinking out loud how about a torch a good brand teams up with Spyderco on the face is the outline of the spyder, so that when it's shone a spyder symbol is imposed on whatever it's pointed at I'd buy one
Any thoughts (apart from the obvious I need medical help) ;)
I'd shine mine up onto the nighttime clouds in hopes that Spyderman would show up at my door.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

No thanks.
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

I rather Spyderco stick to knives & sharpeners.

It's nothing personal, but to make quality flash lights you need to know what you are doing... there is a lot of technology in those things!
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

That's why I thought of teaming with a maker like sure fire etc as a limited package one off Spyderco make a few accessories so I had this thought is all.
I don't take anything personal on forums if people find my threads stupid it's usually because it is ;) the lamp featuring the Spyderco symbol could be interchangeable and the body feature an embossed logo.
Just thinking out loud making a discussion getting thoughts etc.
With a company like this customers like it to stay top end and don't want to cheapen its image I get that and wouldn't want that either .
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Nor sure I'd I have any interest in a Spyderco branded flashlight. I know I definitely wouldn't want one with a gimmicky :spyder: shaped beam. I do agree with Blake that, if Spyderco were to offer a flashlight, the best way for them to do it would be a partnership with an established maker as they did with Photon back for the Ladybug and Jester combos.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
vinito

Post by vinito »

Spyderco and Surefire collaboration anyone?
Donut

Post by Donut »

There are enough various quality lights out there. I don't think Spyderco needs to waste their time venturing into the market.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

If they teamed up with a good maker, yes. Also, I'd be more interested in a small, EDC-able light than a portable star.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Hmmmm

First we made things sharp
Then we made sharp things
After that we made things bright

Till one waits, one can get the Spyderco logo engraved on their favorite torch, is that not so?
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

My Spyderco addiction is followed, at some distance, by my flashlights/torch addiction, however I would prefer Spyderco stick with cutting and sharpening tools.

I like Spyderco because of their designs, materials and their ethics, I would not be as interested in an existing light with an added Spyderco bug. Right now flashlight manufactures are pretty busy eating their own.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

KardinalSyn wrote:Hmmmm

First we made things sharp
Then we made sharp things
After that we made things bright

Till one waits, one can get the Spyderco logo engraved on their favorite torch, is that not so?

Nothing cuts the dark like Spyderco.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Blerv wrote:I would love to see Spyderco team up with a company like Peak on small run basis. Nothing against foreign lights (I have a TON of them) but Peak makes much cheaper products than the other American makers. Smaller EDC type ones too like the Eiger AAA.

If there was a 600 piece Native5 and Peak Eiger set it would cost about $160 at the current pricing. That's one-stop-shopping for a very solid setup, IMHO.
A little special Native5 (currently I am on "Native craving) and peak Eiger and I will not be able to resist.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
billy blade

Post by billy blade »

Hopeless Fanatics :D I'd buy one!!!
BAL

Post by BAL »

When I want a knife I buy Spyderco.
When I want a flashlight I buy Insight.
Shoes - Merrell or Rocky
Chainsaw - Stihl
Toothpaste - Colgate

I have no desire for a Merrell Chainsaw or Stihl Toothpaste.
just me.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The idea of bundles doesn't appeal to everyone. At the same time knives are pretty niche products as are lights. People who buy one would likely consider the other if they knew more about it. The only light companies that have any retail presence are Fenix, Surefire, Maglite, Streamlight, and a few others.

I didn't get into lights until a couple years ago and I was a real Spyderco fan. While I wouldn't advise any light or knife company to make both products (if you want either to be decent) a small scale collaboration wouldn't be awful. Since most light/knife combos include a very cheesy knife and a light that puts out 10 lumens with umpteen purple LED's it would be the first decent set on the market. :p