What is your favorite way to open a Spyderco knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What is your favorite opening method?

Standard (rotate the blade slowly using the Spyderhole with one or two hands)
50%
Flick Open via Spyderhole
39%
Spyderdrop
4%
Emerson Wave/Zip Tie Mod
7%

Total votes: 90

kbrouwer

What is your favorite way to open a Spyderco knife?

Post by kbrouwer »

What is your favorite method to opening your Spyderco knives?
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

kbrouwer wrote:What is your favorite method to opening your Spyderco knives?
Hi kbrouwer. You may find some interesting comments on this thread http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... r-Spyderco
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I typically use my hands...but occasionally my toes or mouth. :D :D :D
But seriously...usually slowly with the hole. I don't see a need to flick as it only causes unnecessary wear. I have spyderdropped a few times...benefit of tip down pocket carry.
On the hunt for...
APS

Post by APS »

Slow and controlled with the hole. But I've been into knives since before Spyderco was around so that probably has something to do with it. And "slow and controlled" still means the blade is out in about a second once the hole is found.
Adam
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Depends on which hand I'm using. Standard one hand opening on the models I carry on my left side. Slide the safety off and push the button on the one I occasionally carry clipped in my RFP.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I have seen the light and realized the beauty of flicking open using the index finger. I've found there to be less of a grip change when opening this way and it's much faster for me. It sparked a whole new love for my Para 2. It's also the only way I like opening my Yojimbo 2.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
araneae

Post by araneae »

I use my thumb in the spyderhole, but I wouldn't say there is anything slow about it.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Evil D wrote:I have seen the light and realized the beauty of flicking open using the index finger. I've found there to be less of a grip change when opening this way and it's much faster for me. It sparked a whole new love for my Para 2. It's also the only way I like opening my Yojimbo 2.
Bet you cannot do that with the Tuff.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

KardinalSyn wrote:Bet you cannot do that with the Tuff.
Actually i can but it makes the lock fail.

Snap. Too soon? :rolleyes:
~David
justinl

Post by justinl »

i like using my pinky and opening into a reverse grip. Not that i've ever needed it in reverse grip, it's just fun. I saw Michael Janich open a yo2 (i think) like that in a video once.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

justinl wrote:i like using my pinky and opening into a reverse grip. Not that i've ever needed it in reverse grip, it's just fun. I saw Michael Janich open a yo2 (i think) like that in a video once.
Mike (and myself) use the ring finger, not the pinky. Give it a try, that finger is much stronger than the pinky.
~David
Half Sack
Location: Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program

Post by Half Sack »

Favorite? Waved, no zip tie. Second is SpydieDrop but that's nearly as uncommon as my wave. Regular is a different answer, then we're between standard/flick.
Thanks for doing a poll, the other knife opening thread was getting a bit too involved for me.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I like to use my thumb and control the way the knife if opened. I note that those who flick sometimes do not get the blade completely open. In an emergency this is not a good idea. So, I do not flick anymore.
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

With my Para2s I finger flick them open. Militarys I thumb flick them open. My lockbacks I use my thumb to open them slowly.
My Techo, I do a running kick jump off the wall and backflip and let the inertia open the blade on landing.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
racer88

Post by racer88 »

I use "the force" to open mine.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Doc Dan wrote:I like to use my thumb and control the way the knife if opened. I note that those who flick sometimes do not get the blade completely open. In an emergency this is not a good idea. So, I do not flick anymore.
I've found that this depends solely on how you're holding the knife when you flick it. It takes practice just like any other opening method, but if you keep your flicking in a forward motion, as in towards the direction the blade will be in when open, then mine opens perfectly every time. It's only when i try to flick it out away from the handle that it doesn't open all the way. If you flick it forward you get more momentum.
~David
Half Sack
Location: Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program

Post by Half Sack »

racer88 wrote:I use "the force" to open mine.
Start your own poll, this is for the "force-less" :p
Welcome to our newest member, Half Sack
:spyder: Endura4 wave, Ladybug Hawkbill H1, Byrd Hawkbill, PM2 digi camo, Sharpmaker *Sprints: Dodo Orange, MeerKat Burgundy, "R" Nishijin *Discontinued: Caspian H1 :spyder: #ByrdWeek Winner :cool:
No one likes the dark - Robin Sherbatsky
*Signature not updated, purchases missing...*
tobii3

Post by tobii3 »

Evil D wrote:Actually i can but it makes the lock fail.

Snap. Too soon? :rolleyes:
Gimme a minute to clean my Kindle....dammit

:D
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I voted for "... rotate the blade slowly...", but in reality I don't think it is slow. The difference in the 1/10 sec. it takes me to slowly open the blade and the 1/20 sec. that it would take if I flicked it really isn't significant to anything I could possibly use the knife for, and it is much more reliable.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Depends on which knife I am using, what I am doing wo will be around me, etc.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!