Emergency use/standard and some new Spyderco customers

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

These are emergency use only, not to be used for general utility. The only time they are to be used when rope is fouled and it has to be cut immediately. Note that in general both secure tethers and emergency stop cords are never used when under tension, they are safety only, these are not climbers they are construction workers. The only time either would be under tension is when they are employed and an accident has happened.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I completely agree with the Byrd Rescue recommendation.

* Low cost = better chance of selling the idea and isolating the tool ONLY for rescue
* No pointed tip = safer
* Serrations = your cutting more rope per swipe and not as reliant on pristine edge geometry of a PE or ideal situations.

Hopefully they become standard equipment thanks to you Cliff. For $20 or whatever it would be silly not to.
BAL

Post by BAL »

That's a tragedy and I feel for all family and friends. Great work on
the recommendations Cliff.
graham_s

Post by graham_s »

I have a serrated Atlantic Salt for entanglements.
I used to use it when I was working on Survey boats.
If you get tangled in a rope that is attached to a sensor package that is sinking into 2500m of water, you want to be able to free yourself fast.
I use it as a dive knife now.
If the thought of something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it.
item 87, skippys list
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Too bad price is such a restriction. I carry my Saver Salt almost every single day. It does get used for other things...but mainly have it with me for emergency purposes...
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Most working class people who use knives are not that much into tools as personal items as they are all just part of their personal kit of tools which is quite large and often interchangeable. In general you find very common that they will all use the same style/brand frequently for ease of replacement. If a hammer or something breaks for example they can just get the guy who just bought one to return it as they carry the same one. And of course if you all use the same type of tool then it is much easier to swap them around when you need it. In general it is only the hobbiest guys that will carry the really high end gear, or people who just happen to be very much into something, like my brother is with hammers for example.
sal

Post by sal »

Sorry for the loss Cliff. Always sadder when avoidable, but we learn, right?

Thanx also for stearing them our way. That's the reason we make byrd Rescue models.

sal
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

graham_s wrote:I have a serrated Atlantic Salt for entanglements.
I used to use it when I was working on Survey boats.
If you get tangled in a rope that is attached to a sensor package that is sinking into 2500m of water, you want to be able to free yourself fast.
I use it as a dive knife now.
How does that work work for you, using the Atlantic Salt as a dive knife? Ever need to get at it in a stressful moment?
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
graham_s

Post by graham_s »

KardinalSyn wrote:How does that work work for you, using the Atlantic Salt as a dive knife? Ever need to get at it in a stressful moment?
I have used it in anger, to free me from fishing line.
I find it's easy to deploy as I wear it clipped to my BCD Cummerbund dead centre so I can reach it with either hand.
It's easy to open, even with gloves.
I much prefer it to a larger knife strapped to the leg.
If the thought of something makes me giggle for longer than 15 seconds, I am to assume that I am not allowed to do it.
item 87, skippys list
Shooter

Post by Shooter »

you know you keep talking cost, but my life or someone else is worth the 55.00 dollars for a rescue 93mm over and over again
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Shooter,

Welcome to our forum.

Hard to mesure cost before the fact, excpecially when the pocket is empty.

sal