Show me your Kydex!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
swampfoxoutdoors

Show me your Kydex!

Post by swampfoxoutdoors »

If any of y'all have pics of custom kydex rigs for your folders please share them.

I was wondering has anyone made a belt rig for a folder? I was thinking it may be kinda neat to experiment with a kydex sheath that would hold the knife in the open position essentially turning your folder pocket spyderco into a "fixed blade option". Why you may ask? why not. lol

If anybody has a belt kydex rig that functions like a wave feature please share with us how they work. I have seen one on YouTube, but did not go into detail where he gotten it and how it worked.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I made Open Civilian Holsters for a while...
I have no pics...

The Civilain is in SOB, blade down and tip up...and the handle points to the master hand...RH person has the handle in RH position...
This means that a sharp tug, and the Civilian pops out, the handle leading the way to prevent the tip digg9ng into the Kydex...

It is hard to explain really via the 'Net without images...
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

I've made many belt rigs, mostly IWB, for folders with the blade deployed since the middle 90's. Don't do too many any more. Also make belt rigs for larger/heavier folding knives so as to keep the weight out of your pocket, but are still fast access and deploy. Here's a pic of a HD holster for a Civilian with an integral G-clip,

[ATTACH]21052[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Civilian_HDholster.jpg
Irelander

Post by Irelander »

swampfoxoutdoors wrote:If any of y'all have pics of custom kydex rigs for your folders please share them.

I was wondering has anyone made a belt rig for a folder? I was thinking it may be kinda neat to experiment with a kydex sheath that would hold the knife in the open position essentially turning your folder pocket spyderco into a "fixed blade option". Why you may ask? why not. lol

If anybody has a belt kydex rig that functions like a wave feature please share with us how they work. I have seen one on YouTube, but did not go into detail where he gotten it and how it worked.
I like your idea. I carry an ESEE Izula II everyday and I like the fixed blade quick deployment. I wouldn't mind trying a folder in the open position for EDC. I have an Ulize heading my way for the holidays, maybe I'll have to see about a kydex sheath for it.

I had a kydex sheath made for my Izula II by EDC Holsters. They did some good work.
swampfoxoutdoors

thanks for sharing the photo mike. I hope others share theirs as well. How does your sheath clip to a belt or pants?
Mike Sastre

Post by Mike Sastre »

swampfoxoutdoors wrote:thanks for sharing the photo mike. I hope others share theirs as well. How does your sheath clip to a belt or pants?
It uses an integral G-Clip, similar to the Spyderco G-Clip, which I designed, but with a little longer hook on the bottom
[ATTACH]21067[/ATTACH]

My start in sheath making (at least 20 yrs ago), was making fast access/deploy sheaths for whitewater rescue knives on PFDs (I'm a kayaker).

[ATTACH]21068[/ATTACH]

This sheath can also be mounted on backpack straps for fast access/deployment.

[ATTACH]21070[/ATTACH]

Same sheath style with a little less holding tension makes a great neck sheath that will allow you to deploy the blade on the draw by adding a "Spydie Drop" to the draw stroke. Had several articles written about them (Combat Knives and Tactical Knives) by James A. Keating, Jerry VanCook, and others in the '90s.

[ATTACH]21069[/ATTACH]

I also have been making sheaths for Spyderco fixed blades since before Spyderco got into making thermoplastic sheaths for them..
Attachments
Backpack_w.jpg
MatriarchNecker_w.jpg
EarlyRCSMerlin_w copy.jpg
EarlyRCSMerlin_w copy.jpg (68.57 KiB) Viewed 1151 times
CivilianHD_G-Clip_Warrior_w.jpg
swampfoxoutdoors

do you have a price list? I looked real fast on your web site but didn't see one, Might of over looked it.
swampfoxoutdoors

never mind found it.