A question for Mr Glesser and Spyderco (Clipped Manbug)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
prndltech
Member
Posts: 1293
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Austin, Texas

Re: A question for Mr Glesser and Spyderco (Clipped Manbug)

Postby prndltech » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:03 pm

I currently clip a d-fly to my shirt pocket at work in the shop... while it works fine I would love a ladybug/man bug with a clip
- Shannon

User avatar
DedRok
Member
Posts: 341
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:46 pm
Location: Canada

Re: A question for Mr Glesser and Spyderco (Clipped Manbug)

Postby DedRok » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:20 pm

As the OP, I come out of hibernation and check on this thread once in a while. The manbug has been in my keys in my pocket for 7 years straight.

Patiently hoping for the clip to come to fruition! :p

I understand they have bigger fish to fry. Anyways, keep on rocking Spyderco! Love the Para 3 LW by the way.
Last edited by DedRok on Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Enactive
Member
Posts: 1138
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:19 pm
Location: Wet side of Washington

Re: A question for Mr Glesser and Spyderco (Clipped Manbug)

Postby Enactive » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:25 pm

DedRok wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:20 pm
As the OP. I check on this thread once in a while.

Still EDCing a Manbugs for more than 2,500 days straight.

Patiently hoping for the clip to come to fruition! :p
As you should. This thread is what, 7+ years old now? Thanks for your persistence. :D

User avatar
sal
Member
Posts: 13499
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Golden, Colorado USA

Re: A question for Mr Glesser and Spyderco (Clipped Manbug)

Postby sal » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:32 am

I've been carrying a clipped Ladybug in my shirt pocket.

sal

tbdoc4kids
Member
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:01 pm
Location: Mission, KS

Re: A question for Mr Glesser and Spyderco (Clipped Manbug)

Postby tbdoc4kids » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:06 am

Do tell!

User avatar
Woodpuppy
Member
Posts: 2166
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:38 pm
Location: Florida

Re: A question for Mr Glesser and Spyderco (Clipped Manbug)

Postby Woodpuppy » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:27 am

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:32 am
I've been carrying a clipped Ladybug in my shirt pocket.

sal
Awesome possum. I bet you love dripping these little pieces of :spyder: intel into the fish tank :p
:spyder: My other blade is a Kelly Perfect :spyder:

User avatar
Spydergirl88
Member
Posts: 6997
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:42 pm

Re: A question for Mr Glesser and Spyderco (Clipped Manbug)

Postby Spydergirl88 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:14 am

Yay!

Notsurewhy
Member
Posts: 344
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:57 pm

Re: A question for Mr Glesser and Spyderco (Clipped Manbug)

Postby Notsurewhy » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:46 am

Nice! I don't like a knife on my keys or fishing around the bottom of a big pocket, but a lady bug or man bug is so small I worry about it popping out of my fifth pocket without a clip. This would be great clipped in there as a secondary blade for easy access and use around people who belong in the Psychoneurotic Institute for the Very, Very Nervous.

This could also overtake the dragonfly as my choice for a first knife when my kids are old enough.

User avatar
sal
Member
Posts: 13499
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Golden, Colorado USA

Re: A question for Mr Glesser and Spyderco (Clipped Manbug)

Postby sal » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:31 pm

We've been working on a clip for a Ladybug/Manbug for many years. I wanted something that I could clip to my shirt pocket for easy access while driving. We tried a number of wires which I wasn't happy with. I now have a stamped clip that is fastened through the lanyard hole.

sal

User avatar
Jazz
Member
Posts: 7663
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: A question for Mr Glesser and Spyderco (Clipped Manbug)

Postby Jazz » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:48 pm

So, will that fit a Manbug, too? ... and is it something that will be for sale? Manbug in a shirt pocket - what more could you ask for? Well, maybe if there was a wharncliffe Manbug. ;)
- best wishes, Jazz.

User avatar
Sharp Guy
Member
Posts: 5837
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:19 pm
Location: Over here!

Re: A question for Mr Glesser and Spyderco (Clipped Manbug)

Postby Sharp Guy » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:51 pm

Notsurewhy wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:46 am
Nice! I don't like a knife on my keys or fishing around the bottom of a big pocket, but a lady bug or man bug is so small I worry about it popping out of my fifth pocket without a clip. This would be great clipped in there as a secondary blade for easy access and use around people who belong in the Psychoneurotic Institute for the Very, Very Nervous.

This could also overtake the dragonfly as my choice for a first knife when my kids are old enough.
FWIW, I carry a Manbug in the 5th/watch pocket of my blue jeans all the time. Never had an issue with it popping out. Not even a concern of mine. Alternatively, sometimes I'll put another small knife (McBee or Nishijin Cricket) in the fifth pocket instead of the Manbug. Problem with having them clipped is that it interferes with my primary knife in my right front pocket. So I've removed the clips on my McBee & Cricket to avoid this. During the summer when I'm wearing shorts the small knife goes in the bottom of my pocket. With a knife as small as the Ladybug or Manbug I can't understand why anyone would want a clip on it. Apparently some do. So I'm happy you're finally getting it.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

ladybug93
Member
Posts: 1692
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 11:20 pm

Re: A question for Mr Glesser and Spyderco (Clipped Manbug)

Postby ladybug93 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:00 am

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:51 pm
Notsurewhy wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:46 am
Nice! I don't like a knife on my keys or fishing around the bottom of a big pocket, but a lady bug or man bug is so small I worry about it popping out of my fifth pocket without a clip. This would be great clipped in there as a secondary blade for easy access and use around people who belong in the Psychoneurotic Institute for the Very, Very Nervous.

This could also overtake the dragonfly as my choice for a first knife when my kids are old enough.
FWIW, I carry a Manbug in the 5th/watch pocket of my blue jeans all the time. Never had an issue with it popping out. Not even a concern of mine. Alternatively, sometimes I'll put another small knife (McBee or Nishijin Cricket) in the fifth pocket instead of the Manbug. Problem with having them clipped is that it interferes with my primary knife in my right front pocket. So I've removed the clips on my McBee & Cricket to avoid this. During the summer when I'm wearing shorts the small knife goes in the bottom of my pocket. With a knife as small as the Ladybug or Manbug I can't understand why anyone would want a clip on it. Apparently some do. So I'm happy you're finally getting it.
for some people, these are their primary knives and the option to not have it in the bottom of the pocket would be nice.
i’ve been wanting a ladybug to replace my first pocket knife that’s been missing for years. a pocket clip might make me pull the trigger even though i’ll probably rarely carry it that way. i like versatility.
if the clip is mounted through the lanyard hole, does that mean no lanyards? i know a lot of people give these little knives lanyards to help with grip.

User avatar
cabfrank
Member
Posts: 856
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 9:07 pm

Re: A question for Mr Glesser and Spyderco (Clipped Manbug)

Postby cabfrank » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:20 am

A removable clip fastened through the lanyard hole would be great on these little knives. Many of us have hoped for the option for a while. If you prefer without, you can take it off, and if you prefer a lanyard, you can then add one. I hope it happens sooner or later.

User avatar
Jazz
Member
Posts: 7663
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Alberta, Canada

Re: A question for Mr Glesser and Spyderco (Clipped Manbug)

Postby Jazz » Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:21 am

Okay, I never thought of that. I need a fob on mine to aid in grip on these small knives. Especially opening. Hmm.
- best wishes, Jazz.

User avatar
Mini2white
Member
Posts: 279
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:26 pm
Location: Australia

Re: A question for Mr Glesser and Spyderco (Clipped Manbug)

Postby Mini2white » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:43 pm

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:31 pm
We've been working on a clip for a Ladybug/Manbug for many years. I wanted something that I could clip to my shirt pocket for easy access while driving. We tried a number of wires which I wasn't happy with. I now have a stamped clip that is fastened through the lanyard hole.

sal
Thank you Sal. My wife has clipped an FRN cricket to various pieces of clothing for over 10 years and this could be the next best thing. Some fashion matching colours too, oh boy. A knife that is there when needed but disappears.

stanolszews
Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:06 am

Re: A question for Mr Glesser and Spyderco (Clipped Manbug)

Postby stanolszews » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:18 pm

692E53FE-93FA-49C2-87D5-8EF8F3C0D1D2.jpeg
I use these clips I bought on Amazon. Not perfect, but they improve accessibility.

Knife1
Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri May 31, 2019 11:30 pm

Re: A question for Mr Glesser and Spyderco (Clipped Manbug)

Postby Knife1 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:14 am

DougC-3 wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:22 pm
cabfrank wrote:I was thinking about putting a Dragonfly clip on a Manbug, looked into it a bit, and found this thread. How has it worked for those of you that tried it? I don't want to mess up a really nice little knife. I've certainly broken things that needed no fixing enough times.
I did it, using a very narrow file to recess the clip wires on either side of the lanyard hole. (You can see the end of the file in the pic in my post above.) I think it worked well, but I was impatient and got a little sloppy filing the slots. I had done the same thing to my Super Blue Dragonfly so it would ride lower in my shirt pocket. I found that, for my usual uses, the Manbug is a little small and I switched back to the Dragonfly. Ideally, I'd like to have something between the two in size (just for shirt pocket use -- I think the D-fly is perfect as is for other uses). Also, if I decide to use the Manbug routinely with the clip, I'll grind a small smooth area where it contacts the scale so it won't be overly grippy on my pocket.

Image

Image
How did you manage to get the clip secured? I tried to mod my ladybug with a dragonfly wire clip and its too wide, it keeps falling out the crew.

justanedc'er2
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:14 pm

Re: A question for Mr Glesser and Spyderco (Clipped Manbug)

Postby justanedc'er2 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:42 am

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:31 pm
We've been working on a clip for a Ladybug/Manbug for many years. I wanted something that I could clip to my shirt pocket for easy access while driving. We tried a number of wires which I wasn't happy with. I now have a stamped clip that is fastened through the lanyard hole.

sal
Is this something we can purchase separately via a clip / parts request? I'm wanting to pick up a Manbug Salt but would really like a clip option for when I'm on the boat without pockets. Any plans to release these stamped clips and lanyard screw as part of a new Manbug / Ladybug release, or can they be purchased separately now or at some point in the (hopefully near) future?

User avatar
sal
Member
Posts: 13499
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Golden, Colorado USA

Re: A question for Mr Glesser and Spyderco (Clipped Manbug)

Postby sal » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:42 am

Still in development.

Hi Stanolszews, Knife1, Justaindc'er,

Welcome to our forum, belated.

sal

vivi
Member
Posts: 7001
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: A question for Mr Glesser and Spyderco (Clipped Manbug)

Postby vivi » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:25 pm

justanedc'er2 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:42 am
sal wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:31 pm
We've been working on a clip for a Ladybug/Manbug for many years. I wanted something that I could clip to my shirt pocket for easy access while driving. We tried a number of wires which I wasn't happy with. I now have a stamped clip that is fastened through the lanyard hole.

sal
Is this something we can purchase separately via a clip / parts request? I'm wanting to pick up a Manbug Salt but would really like a clip option for when I'm on the boat without pockets. Any plans to release these stamped clips and lanyard screw as part of a new Manbug / Ladybug release, or can they be purchased separately now or at some point in the (hopefully near) future?
It isn't as elegant as a Spyderco clip, but you could use a TEC suspension clip

Image


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], bobnikon, Buddafucco, FullScaler, Google [Bot], imjohnsmith, JRinFL, KillaCaltron, linuxology, Majestic-12 [Bot], N. Brian Huegel, Radetzky, TomAiello, vivi and 21 guests