A question for Mr Glesser and Spyderco (Clipped Manbug)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
prndltech

Re: A question for Mr Glesser and Spyderco (Clipped Manbug)

Post by prndltech »

I currently clip a d-fly to my shirt pocket at work in the shop... while it works fine I would love a ladybug/man bug with a clip
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

As the OP, I come out of hibernation and check on this thread once in a while. The manbug has been in my keys in my pocket for 7 years straight.

Patiently hoping for the clip to come to fruition! :p

I understand they have bigger fish to fry. Anyways, keep on rocking Spyderco! Love the Para 3 LW by the way.
Last edited by DedRok on Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

DedRok wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:20 pm
As the OP. I check on this thread once in a while.

Still EDCing a Manbugs for more than 2,500 days straight.

Patiently hoping for the clip to come to fruition! :p
As you should. This thread is what, 7+ years old now? Thanks for your persistence. :D
sal

Post by sal »

I've been carrying a clipped Ladybug in my shirt pocket.

sal
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

Do tell!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:32 am
I've been carrying a clipped Ladybug in my shirt pocket.

sal
Awesome possum. I bet you love dripping these little pieces of :spyder: intel into the fish tank :p
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Yay!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Nice! I don't like a knife on my keys or fishing around the bottom of a big pocket, but a lady bug or man bug is so small I worry about it popping out of my fifth pocket without a clip. This would be great clipped in there as a secondary blade for easy access and use around people who belong in the Psychoneurotic Institute for the Very, Very Nervous.

This could also overtake the dragonfly as my choice for a first knife when my kids are old enough.
sal

Post by sal »

We've been working on a clip for a Ladybug/Manbug for many years. I wanted something that I could clip to my shirt pocket for easy access while driving. We tried a number of wires which I wasn't happy with. I now have a stamped clip that is fastened through the lanyard hole.

sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

So, will that fit a Manbug, too? ... and is it something that will be for sale? Manbug in a shirt pocket - what more could you ask for? Well, maybe if there was a wharncliffe Manbug. ;)
- best wishes, Jazz.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:46 am
Nice! I don't like a knife on my keys or fishing around the bottom of a big pocket, but a lady bug or man bug is so small I worry about it popping out of my fifth pocket without a clip. This would be great clipped in there as a secondary blade for easy access and use around people who belong in the Psychoneurotic Institute for the Very, Very Nervous.

This could also overtake the dragonfly as my choice for a first knife when my kids are old enough.
FWIW, I carry a Manbug in the 5th/watch pocket of my blue jeans all the time. Never had an issue with it popping out. Not even a concern of mine. Alternatively, sometimes I'll put another small knife (McBee or Nishijin Cricket) in the fifth pocket instead of the Manbug. Problem with having them clipped is that it interferes with my primary knife in my right front pocket. So I've removed the clips on my McBee & Cricket to avoid this. During the summer when I'm wearing shorts the small knife goes in the bottom of my pocket. With a knife as small as the Ladybug or Manbug I can't understand why anyone would want a clip on it. Apparently some do. So I'm happy you're finally getting it.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:51 pm
Notsurewhy wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:46 am

FWIW, I carry a Manbug in the 5th/watch pocket of my blue jeans all the time. Never had an issue with it popping out. Not even a concern of mine. Alternatively, sometimes I'll put another small knife (McBee or Nishijin Cricket) in the fifth pocket instead of the Manbug. Problem with having them clipped is that it interferes with my primary knife in my right front pocket. So I've removed the clips on my McBee & Cricket to avoid this. During the summer when I'm wearing shorts the small knife goes in the bottom of my pocket. With a knife as small as the Ladybug or Manbug I can't understand why anyone would want a clip on it. Apparently some do. So I'm happy you're finally getting it.
for some people, these are their primary knives and the option to not have it in the bottom of the pocket would be nice.
i’ve been wanting a ladybug to replace my first pocket knife that’s been missing for years. a pocket clip might make me pull the trigger even though i’ll probably rarely carry it that way. i like versatility.
if the clip is mounted through the lanyard hole, does that mean no lanyards? i know a lot of people give these little knives lanyards to help with grip.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

A removable clip fastened through the lanyard hole would be great on these little knives. Many of us have hoped for the option for a while. If you prefer without, you can take it off, and if you prefer a lanyard, you can then add one. I hope it happens sooner or later.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Okay, I never thought of that. I need a fob on mine to aid in grip on these small knives. Especially opening. Hmm.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:31 pm
We've been working on a clip for a Ladybug/Manbug for many years. I wanted something that I could clip to my shirt pocket for easy access while driving. We tried a number of wires which I wasn't happy with. I now have a stamped clip that is fastened through the lanyard hole.

sal
Thank you Sal. My wife has clipped an FRN cricket to various pieces of clothing for over 10 years and this could be the next best thing. Some fashion matching colours too, oh boy. A knife that is there when needed but disappears.
stanolszews

Post by stanolszews »

692E53FE-93FA-49C2-87D5-8EF8F3C0D1D2.jpeg
I use these clips I bought on Amazon. Not perfect, but they improve accessibility.
Knife1

Post by Knife1 »

DougC-3 wrote:
Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:22 pm
cabfrank wrote:I was thinking about putting a Dragonfly clip on a Manbug, looked into it a bit, and found this thread. How has it worked for those of you that tried it? I don't want to mess up a really nice little knife. I've certainly broken things that needed no fixing enough times.
I did it, using a very narrow file to recess the clip wires on either side of the lanyard hole. (You can see the end of the file in the pic in my post above.) I think it worked well, but I was impatient and got a little sloppy filing the slots. I had done the same thing to my Super Blue Dragonfly so it would ride lower in my shirt pocket. I found that, for my usual uses, the Manbug is a little small and I switched back to the Dragonfly. Ideally, I'd like to have something between the two in size (just for shirt pocket use -- I think the D-fly is perfect as is for other uses). Also, if I decide to use the Manbug routinely with the clip, I'll grind a small smooth area where it contacts the scale so it won't be overly grippy on my pocket.

How did you manage to get the clip secured? I tried to mod my ladybug with a dragonfly wire clip and its too wide, it keeps falling out the crew.
justanedc'er2

Post by justanedc'er2 »

sal wrote:

sal
Is this something we can purchase separately via a clip / parts request? I'm wanting to pick up a Manbug Salt but would really like a clip option for when I'm on the boat without pockets. Any plans to release these stamped clips and lanyard screw as part of a new Manbug / Ladybug release, or can they be purchased separately now or at some point in the (hopefully near) future?
sal

Post by sal »

Still in development.

Hi Stanolszews, Knife1, Justaindc'er,

Welcome to our forum, belated.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

justanedc'er2 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:42 am
sal wrote:

sal
Is this something we can purchase separately via a clip / parts request? I'm wanting to pick up a Manbug Salt but would really like a clip option for when I'm on the boat without pockets. Any plans to release these stamped clips and lanyard screw as part of a new Manbug / Ladybug release, or can they be purchased separately now or at some point in the (hopefully near) future?
It isn't as elegant as a Spyderco clip, but you could use a TEC suspension clip

:unicorn