More H1 please.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChaoticLuck

Post by ChaoticLuck »

xavierdoc wrote:I've long been asking for a Slipit in H1- anything with a sub 3" blade and the option of serrations.

There have already been H1 options in a variety of sizes of locking folder and several fixed blades but never a Slipit.

Pretty please?
Precisely why I created this thread, for people in the UK and other regions with regulations on knife size, and locks. H1 in a slipit at 3 inches would be a pretty good seller I imagine.

My ideal model would be a pingo, but ill take anything at this point.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

ChaoticLuck wrote:Precisely why I created this thread, for people in the UK and other regions with regulations on knife size, and locks. H1 in a slipit at 3 inches would be a pretty good seller I imagine.

My ideal model would be a pingo, but ill take anything at this point.
I remember hearing that Golden has plans of using H1 for some of their models in the near future but the Pingo/Squeak are made in Italy. I'm not privy to Spyderco's manufacturing process but that seems less likely than say a UKPK Lightweight in H1.
ChaoticLuck

Post by ChaoticLuck »

Blerv wrote:I remember hearing that Golden has plans of using H1 for some of their models in the near future but the Pingo/Squeak are made in Italy. I'm not privy to Spyderco's manufacturing process but that seems less likely than say a UKPK Lightweight in H1.
Well the only slipit I can think of that's made in Seki-City is the Urban. Which I wouldn't mind either. Ukpk is made in Golden, and since h1 is only made in Seki I guess it's the urban or, ?
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

ChaoticLuck wrote:Well the only slipit I can think of that's made in Seki-City is the Urban. Which I wouldn't mind either. Ukpk is made in Golden, and since h1 is only made in Seki I guess it's the urban or, ?

Link regarding upcoming "Autonomy"
The Deacon wrote:Quite an interesting knife. Automatic, designed at the request of the US Coast Guard to be easy to operate with gloved hands and to be rust proof. To accomplish the later, it will be the first Spyderco made in Golden to use H-1 steel. Even more interesting for those of us the Feds fear might turn into crazed anarchists, or worse, if allowed to own automatics, the amount of H-1 Spyderco has to purchase to produce this knife virtually insures we'll be seeing other, more conventional, H-1 knives stamped Golden CO, USA, Earth. :)
ChaoticLuck

Post by ChaoticLuck »

I'd rather hear it from Sal that an H1 knife can be produced in Golden that isn't for that automatic.
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

sal wrote:H1 has its challenges. Often high cost. What models would you like to see?

sal
H1 Matriarch or Civilian please!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

ChaoticLuck wrote:I'd rather hear it from Sal that an H1 knife can be produced in Golden that isn't for that automatic.
I would rather hear it from the president too. A very valid request.

However, this proves making knives in Golden is possible with H1 (it's being done). Unless the Japanese foundry has an "automatics only" policy one could safely assume it's possible.

As of about 6 months ago when this information surfaced the world knew H1 in a USA knife to be impossible. It's a step in the right direction.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Native3 sprint too. ;)
ChaoticLuck

Post by ChaoticLuck »

Blerv wrote:I would rather hear it from the president too. A very valid request.

However, this proves making knives in Golden is possible with H1 (it's being done). Unless the Japanese foundry has an "automatics only" policy one could safely assume it's possible.

As of about 6 months ago when this information surfaced the world knew H1 in a USA knife to be impossible. It's a step in the right direction.
You also have to consider how cost affective it might be for Spyderco to produce H1 knives in Golden for the mass market as opposed to in Seki-City.
Rambo241

Post by Rambo241 »

As previously stated, the Temp 1 in H1! While G10 would be nice, nothing is wrong with a FRN handle.
thelock

Post by thelock »

Blerv wrote:Native3 sprint too. ;)
Oh no! :D
:spyder: Paramilitary 2
:spyder: Bob Lum Tanto Sprint
:spyder: Anso Zulu
:spyder: Szabo Folder
:spyder: Delica ZDP-189
:spyder: SS Kiwi
:spyder: SS Bug set
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

ChaoticLuck wrote:You also have to consider how cost affective it might be for Spyderco to produce H1 knives in Golden for the mass market as opposed to in Seki-City.
My only point was it is "possible". We used to say it wasn't unless a Japanese model.

Sal has said they seldom bow out due to price; they just increase the MSRP. I'm sure they will do more knives of H1 in Seki for a very long time but there is a chance we will see Golden knives.
ChaoticLuck

Post by ChaoticLuck »

Blerv wrote:My only point was it is "possible". We used to say it wasn't unless a Japanese model.

Sal has said they seldom bow out due to price; they just increase the MSRP. I'm sure they will do more knives of H1 in Seki for a very long time but there is a chance we will see Golden knives.
I got your point, and I was taking it a step further in saying if its not economically feasible being possible is useless to us.

Getting back to the subject at hand... I honestly don't care where it comes from because its all quality, but my ideal knife would be any slipit in h1 around 3 inches or so.
sal

Post by sal »

ChaoticLuck wrote:I'd rather hear it from Sal that an H1 knife can be produced in Golden that isn't for that automatic.
It is not likely, at least not in the foreseable future that we would make H1 knives in Golden. The only reason the Autonomy is an exception is because automatic knives are illegal to import in parts or whole unless there is a govt contract for same, and then we can only import the exact number on the contract. Since we do not have a contract for the Autonomy at this time, we have to make the blades here.

sal
ChaoticLuck

Post by ChaoticLuck »

sal wrote:It is not likely, at least not in the foreseable future that we would make H1 knives in Golden. The only reason the Autonomy is an exception is because automatic knives are illegal to import in parts or whole unless there is a govt contract for same, and then we can only import the exact number on the contract. Since we do not have a contract for the Autonomy at this time, we have to make the blades here.

sal
Thanks for the info Sal. Would an Urban in H1 be out of the question? I honestly think a slipit in H1 would be a pretty good seller.
Antonio_Luiz

Post by Antonio_Luiz »

Donut wrote:Re-release all models with a high hollow grind. :)
Well - I suppose a lot depends on what you're cutting but for me a thin FFG slices and dices better than hollow. Once you start cutting thicker materials the hollow grind jams. The hollow grind is also the weakest edge shape.

I like hollow grinds only on my straight razors
sal

Post by sal »

We've thought about it, but cost becomes a hurdle. the Urban was disco'd because sales were slow which we believe was because of the high cost. An H1 version would cost even more.

sal
ChaoticLuck

Post by ChaoticLuck »

sal wrote:We've thought about it, but cost becomes a hurdle. the Urban was disco'd because sales were slow which we believe was because of the high cost. An H1 version would cost even more.

sal
Bummer. Hopefully something will be offered down the line. Thanks for the replies, and information!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Rambo241 wrote:As previously stated, the Temp 1 in H1! While G10 would be nice, nothing is wrong with a FRN handle.
And as I said in my previous post I could easily live with the original FRN handle that the first TEMP 1 fixed blade model had. It wasn't a bad handle at all. But I was just thinking it might be a good idea to jazz up an H-1 version of the TEMPERANCE 1 model. I also think it would be cool to either have an all yellow FRN or G-10 handle or one that would be a Yellow & Black combo of some sort.

Either way this would not only be a more affordable way to own a Spyderco fixed blade but it would resurrect a superb, all purpose great working fixed blade from Spyderco's past line up. And with H-1 steel you could have a lot of options and versatility as to what sheath you would want for it.

You know the more I think about it I'm even thinking that if they brought back the old Vagabond model fixed blade in H-1 would really be a super cool tackle box knife. The main reason I never bought a VAgabond was the AUS-6 blade steel they used on the original model. An H-1 Vagabond would also be a superb tackle box or tool box companion blade.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
TomH

Post by TomH »

+1 on H1 Matriarchs & Civilians