My Grail Knives What are yours?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

kbrouwer wrote:Does ZDP189 have a country of origin like VG10 is Japanese,
ZDP189 is also Japanese. As is Super Blue you've seen mentioned. You'll only find them in Japanese made models.

Ken
玉鋼
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

kbrouwer wrote:I don't know for sure but I think Evil D might like S90V lol. I would like to see a nightmare grind, the name sounds cool. Caly 3 Damascus is something I forgot to mention, it's really cool. Does ZDP189 have a country of origin like VG10 is Japanese, 154CM is American, etc. It seem like a good steel. Centofante III is a great design but I still have something with knives without steel lining, I know that will change. Even a Centofante III with ZDP and steel liners would be cool. I like the Yojimbo II but have other "priority knives." Just came to mind but how about a ZDP Tenacious, possibly extended an inch or two. I know it takes away from the whole Value theme of things but I've heard of people having AWFUL experiences with any of the xCRxxMoV steels. Wait, there is a Centofante 4? Unless you're referring to the Memory, I've never heard of one.
Are you good at sharpening? I'm thinking that the grind is nightmare to sharpen. ;)
bh49

Post by bh49 »

this one

Dreams:
Caly 3.5 SS Bolsters and polished dark green G10 scales,
Caly3 SS Bolsters and Aged Honey Amber Stag Jigged Bone scales
Clipless Kopa, Giraffe bone or Aged Honey Amber Stag Jigged Bone or Bastone Walnut or Cocobolo or Desert Ironwood scales. No Boye dent, please.
Persian Black micarta, SS Bosters 2.5"
VG10 for all knives above will be fine. 3 mm blade thickness for Caly3.5, and 2 mm for the rest of the blades

FFG Native with 3.5" blade smooth g10 Orange scales XHP 3mm stock
FFG Native with 3.5" blade smooth g10 Dark Green scales B75P 3mm stock
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

kbrouwer wrote:I don't know for sure but I think Evil D might like S90V lol. I would like to see a nightmare grind, the name sounds cool. Caly 3 Damascus is something I forgot to mention, it's really cool. Does ZDP189 have a country of origin like VG10 is Japanese, 154CM is American, etc. It seem like a good steel. Centofante III is a great design but I still have something with knives without steel lining, I know that will change. Even a Centofante III with ZDP and steel liners would be cool. I like the Yojimbo II but have other "priority knives." Just came to mind but how about a ZDP Tenacious, possibly extended an inch or two. I know it takes away from the whole Value theme of things but I've heard of people having AWFUL experiences with any of the xCRxxMoV steels. Wait, there is a Centofante 4? Unless you're referring to the Memory, I've never heard of one.
Yes..it's safe to say I have a thing for S90V lol.

Here's pics of the Nightmare grind Strider (usually sell for around a grand 2nd hand)

ZDP-189 is a Japanese steel.

The Centofante 3 does have 1 steel liner.

Not a fan of the Tenacious or the steel it uses.

The Centofante 4 is a discontinued wharncliffe version of the 3.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Are you good at sharpening? I'm thinking that the grind is nightmare to sharpen. ;)
Most likely lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
skatenut

Post by skatenut »

C69 Li'l Temp, any model
C95 Manix
Sht

Post by Sht »

A real bob lum tanto fixed & folder.
Gayle Bradley
Bob lum tanto sprint
Milie camo
Para2 camo
Manix2 moonglow
Tasman salt
Tenacious (the whole lineup)
Kiwi SS

Knives at all times
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sht wrote:A real bob lum tanto fixed & folder.
Before his untimely demise he was getting to be one of my most favorite knife designers. I met him personally at one of the BLADE SHOWS in ATlanta, GA USA around 2006 I believe it was. He was very much a gentleman and a scholar in the field of cutlery. The more I've used the Lums that I have the more I really liked and appreciated his designs.

And like I've said many times until I got one of Bob LUm's Tanto designs that he did with Spyderco I never liked Tanto blades hardly at all. But his C-46 Tanto folder became a hit with me instantly. Unlike many of the tanto blades I had check out this one of his was actually functional and really worked well.

Again I can't wait for the new rendition of his Spyderco fixed blade tanto to be re-release in VG-10. I'll pick up pop/beer cans for a solid month if I have to so I can get one ASAP. Actually I'll need 2 >> one for using and one for the permanent collection. Like a Superb ARtist his works will continue to be greatly appreciated for years to come I'm certain of it.

I would love one of his C-46 Tanto folders with a G-10 handle, combo edged blade and XHP blade steel and coated black too. My ATS-55 version is one I carry from time to time and I enjoy sharpening it because it is a tough piece to sharpen properly. With the wicked edge that you can get with XHP it would just make that blade cut like a laser I'm sure of it.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Manix Guy 2

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

I would have to say most of my older knives I have collected are Grails, but any dedicated left hand knives will always have an interest . Interesting lists are so new . Regards MG2
JB3

Post by JB3 »

Southard when it finally comes out!
jimbo@stn24

Post by jimbo@stn24 »

tonydahose wrote:The only grail that really matters to me is the WTC knife. I picked it up a few years ago, everything else just doesnt seem that important compared to it.
Hi Tony, thought that yer number an mine were close for some reason, I've got 1455. My Grail as well.

Merry Christmas to yer families Tony.
WTC #1455
Pomelly

Post by Pomelly »

My Grail is a WW2 German knife that I bought years ago at great sacrifice but unfortunately I just can not show in public. I almost cried when I had it in hand...
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

Super Blue Stretch. :D

Gordon
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

I guess I'm simpler. Spyderco Dodo. Unfortunately, the $200 price tag is a bit too much for the knife, IMO.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I don't have any real grails right now.

High on my wish list are:
green para 2
Manix 2 XL S90V
Vallotton
Holland

Post by Holland »

phillipsted wrote:Mostly, the knives I want the most are those that haven't been manufactured yet:

1. Paramilitary 2 with M4 steel and an integral titanium compression lock

2. Caly Jr. C-52 Sprint with 20CP steel and burgundy micarta scales

3. Terzuola Jr. C-19 Sprint in M390 and smooth CF scales

4. Yachtsman C-06 in H1 steel and yellow FRN

5. Baby Jess Horn Sprint in M4 steel and dark green micarta scales

6. Baby Wayne Goddard C-20 Sprint in white micarta (to match its bigger brother from a couple of years ago)

7. Dragonfly 2 in 204P steel with carbon fiber scales and titanium liners

8. A sprint run of the Solo SP-01 with the Yin-Yang two-toned micarta scales...

Hey! A fellow can dream, right? :rolleyes:

TedP
Heck yes!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'm down to two. The first is the concept model for the midlock FRN Kiwi, I'm certain I will never own it and, to be honest, I really wouldn't want to. However, I do hope to see it in person and possibly even touch it someday at a show. The second is an Odin's Eye Damasteel Stretch. It's currently non-existent but, one of these days, I will find someone capable of turning that dream into a reality.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

For the longest time it was the Rock Lobster, even when it was out. It was just too pricey for me until they were discontinued and put on Sierra Trading Post. Right now I don't have any, just models I can't afford at the moment.
C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

A Titanium handled SuperBlue Jess Horn has sliced its way into my dreams of late.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Art_vandeley

Post by Art_vandeley »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Are you good at sharpening? I'm thinking that the grind is nightmare to sharpen. ;)
Nightmare grinds arent harder to sharpen than other grinds. It`s still a V edge. It`s just called that because it`s a nightmare to grind it by the knifemaker.

My current grail is a Tom Mayo TNT and the JG Norseman I have on order.