I've had a stropping epiphany..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

I've had a stropping epiphany..

Post by Evil D »

It's been a long day, i'm really tired, so bare with me...

I'm sitting here fondling my Yojimbo 2 and notice there's some tape/glue residue on the bevel, so i wipe it off by running my finger firmly off/along the edge in an outward motion so as to not cut myself. Then it occurs to me:

Could you in fact strop an edge with your bare fingers/skin?

No seriously, stop laughing and think about it for a sec...your skin has to be somewhat abrasive...most people use .5 micron compound on their strops...is my skin not at least that abrasive? The only issue i can think of aside from the obvious scratches you could get if you tried to strop out a nasty burr is that your skin could convex the edge since it can easily wrap around it. Beyond that, i don't see why you couldn't strop a blade gently enough down your bare arm and get some kind of measurable improvement.

*waits for someone to me i can just strop on my jeans/pants/car window/coffee mug/toilet tank rim/cardboard/newspaper/etc etc etc*

:D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Some people strop on their palms. They say it works.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I've stropped on the bottom of my foot before. I generally have the most even callouses there. I wouldn't do it on a finger though.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I'm not sure your stropping as much as you're "steeling" the edge. Unless you have sandpaper glued to the bottom of your feet;-).
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

Unless you are fairly dirty, there is no way your skin can abrade the steel. Take a satin finished blade and try to mirror polish it by rubbing it on your skin.

While there are people who do strop on their hands, the only thing it can do it mechanically stress the edge, if it is rolled then it can be aligned more or less to one side.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

My personality is more abrasive than my skin. ;)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Blerv wrote:My personality is more abrasive than my skin. ;)
Haha, good one.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Haha, good one.
I had an analogy involving your's being diamond grit but thought it might be seen as too coarse. :)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Blerv wrote:I had an analogy involving your's being diamond grit but thought it might be seen as too coarse. :)
You got me ROFL'ing. :D :D :D
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I strop on my arm--- doesnt do anything more than remove the diamond paste off my edge from my strop and clean it up :) .
JD Spydo

Stropping? Technique versus material?>

Post by JD Spydo »

Now I have used other materials to strop with other than leather or boar hide. Whatever leather or leather type material that they use on New Balance Cross Training shoes worked good for me once.

I've taken and rubbed just plain cardboard with jeweler's rouge and it worked surprisingly well. I've heard some people say that balsa wood is truly the best stropping material there is if you learn the right techniques.

Now one of my cousins down in the state of Mississippi is a barber and one of the old fashioned type to boot and he told me that the very best stropping material is the hide from a Russian Boar. But I'm willing to bet that the hide from several different animals would also be great if it's tanned and prepped properly.

I'm wondering too if the technique you use isn't actually more important than what you use to strop with.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

no idea if it would work, i have seen crazier things, like the guy sharpening a knife on a cinder block and then shaving with it.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Folks strop Busses on jean all the time.... Just saying.

Personally, I'm in the 'it's not strong/abrasive enough' camp.

Nice one, Blake! ;)

Ken
玉鋼
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

tonydahose wrote:no idea if it would work, i have seen crazier things, like the guy sharpening a knife on a cinder block and then shaving with it.
You can do that when you're a 17th generation Japanese sword smith.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
angusW

Post by angusW »

My Mother-In-Law sharpens her knives on the bottom of a flower pot. After I shave I strop my razor on my jeans. Some people have very soft hands/skin so they probably wouldn't be a good candidate for a strop but I don't see why not if your skin was rough enough.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
Sht

Post by Sht »

I've done it on the palm of my hand to help roll back the edge of my tenacious. I dont think it made it sharper, it did take care of a little catch I had about 2mm long. 8cr13mov helps too.
Gayle Bradley
Bob lum tanto sprint
Milie camo
Para2 camo
Manix2 moonglow
Tasman salt
Tenacious (the whole lineup)
Kiwi SS

Knives at all times
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I wonder if a 5 o'clok shadow is abrasive enough. :p
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Leather boot uppers work well because they are impregnated with fine dirt, which is mostly silica, a fine abrasive.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I use my tongue. You guys are woosies. :D

After what I've spent on stropping stuff I'd really be :mad: if I could use my body parts. :mad: :mad: :mad: :)
unit

Post by unit »

Barbers and master straight razor makers have been stropping on their palms for ages.

It bears mentioning that traditional stropping is a process that does not involve abraiding steel. The concept of stropping for the purpose of sharpening a knife is a bit different. (sort of like comparing a steel, to a sharp maker....two very different processes ;) )

Start watching at 3:50.

[video=youtube;wXkjXfuNbpg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXkjXfuNbpg[/video]
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.