A G-10 Harpy for a Forum Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

A G-10 Harpy for a Forum Knife?

Post by JD Spydo »

With all the potential Sprint runs that we have been blessed with along with many great new models it's been tough to put a "want list" together within one's budget>> which is a good thing in a way.

But I think it's high time for a Forum Knife to be representative of an older Flagship model. I can't think of a better potential Forum Knife than a G-10 handled Harpy with an updated blade steel. The Harpy has been around for eons compared to most of the long running models and is a Spyderco knife that is truly representative of the Company's Quality.

I do think that a top notch Hawkbill would make a great Forum Knife since it's been a while. I like the idea of certain Military and Police models also getting the nod to be Forum knives. But as much mystique as there is in the collector community over the G-10 Harpy I think it would be an excellent selection. Anyone agree?
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Joe,
That make sense. Harpy was around a long time. I never owned one, but will be happy to buy as a Forum knife. Certainly SE. Even I prefer polished G10 (especially dark green or orange), but even SS and VG10 will do the trick, just add nice laser etch.
Roman
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
JD Spydo

G-10 is what the Doctor Ordered

Post by JD Spydo »

bh49 wrote:Joe,
That make sense. Harpy was around a long time. I never owned one, but will be happy to buy as a Forum knife. Certainly SE. Even I prefer polished G10 (especially dark green or orange), but even SS and VG10 will do the trick, just add nice laser etch.
Roman
Please!! My BRother!! No stainless handle on a Forum Knife :eek: NO!! it's got to be G-10. Because all of the Hawkbill fanatics including Your's Truly have lamented for years that we never got another crack at a G-10 Harpy in all those years. And it's just flat out high time we saw another one and a better, more jazzed up version at that. The ones on the secondary market are becoming as rare as an honest politician :eek: :rolleyes: at this stage of the game.

Now I do indeed like your idea of a colored G-10. Maybe Green for plain edge and Purple for Spyderedge would just be cool. I still love the old original Blue & Black handled Spyderhawks for instance with blue being the plain edged version and black being the Spyderedged version. That was so apropos for that caliber of a hawkbill.

This just has to be a G-10 Harpy to deserve the honor's of a Forum Knife. I even think that a mini medallion like the one they did on the older C-50 Centofante model would just be really cool as well. Yeah this is starting to sound really good. Maybe it's too close to Christmas to make gift sets of the PE & SE but who knows?
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

No cant do it. Then I'd have to buy 2, so I could use one.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

JD Spydo wrote:NO!! it's got to be G-10.
What about micarta?

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

JD Spydo wrote: it's got to be G-10.
Joe, I prefer G10, specially polished G10 to SS. Also I need teeth.
tr4022 wrote:What about micarta?
Tod
I like Micarta more that any other sintetic material, but I remember Sal's comments regarding difficulties of micarta use for scales. So I think micarta scales is less likely event than G10.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

tr4022 wrote:What about micarta?

Tod
Well "Tod" I wouldn't completely be opposed to that. But do keep in mind that when I carried my Harpy, My G-10 Harpy that is>> is that I used that knife for work purposes and I used it extensively. And for work I tend to prefer G-10 over most handle materials. But I will admit that I've had linen type Micarta that has had some pretty good grippy scales which I could live with if I had to. But I miss the original G-10 Harpy so much that is probably the one model I really want to see the most at this time.

But what the heck it will be interesting to see what everyone else wants too.
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

I carried my SS Harpy for close to a decade before I lost it.

A G10 one would be really nice, but I would even be happy with a tip up option on a SS version.
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

I think the forum knife has to have serrated, it's a spyderco innovation and would make the knife so much more "spydie"
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
rororo64

Post by rororo64 »

I think I'd rather have a Native 5 for a forum knife.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

rororo64 wrote:I think I'd rather have a Native 5 for a forum knife.
Of cause.
Let's have N5 as the 2012 Forum knife and G10 SE Harpy as 2013 Forum knife :)

sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey guys,
I'd go for a g10 Harpy in a heartbeat!
Since I acquired mine, its been my most carried and used knife.
It's just too useful to leave behind.
Gotta love those teeth!
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
JD Spydo

The Grieving Process

Post by JD Spydo »

PanChango wrote:I carried my SS Harpy for close to a decade before I lost it.

A G10 one would be really nice, but I would even be happy with a tip up option on a SS version.
I grieve with you my Brother :( I carried my G-10 Harpy a little over 7 years and counting. I actually owned it like 8 or 9 years I believe it was.

YES we absolutely must have another G-10 Harpy. It just makes sense since they gave the G-10 Police model a second chance and look what it has done on the second time around :cool:

HEy I'm not at all knocking the stainless handled Harpy because it is an institution here at Spyderville and a flagship that won't go away anytime soon.

But the G-10 version is so easy to handle and work with. I did also like the Carbon Fiber Harpy but still not as much as I did the G-10 Harpy.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Not really interested. My tasman meets my harpy needs.

N5 and I am in.
Donut

Post by Donut »

bh49 wrote:Of cause.
Let's have N5 as the 2012 Forum knife and G10 SE Harpy as 2013 Forum knife :)
What about the 2012 and a half forum knife? :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Yes to a G-10 Harpy, but not as a forum knife. The G-10 Harpy is such a good knife and it should be used and enjoyed by all and shouldn't be exclusive to forum members.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

akaAK wrote:Not really interested. My tasman meets my harpy needs.

N5 and I am in.

Agreed if they wanna do a sprint g10 harpy cool but I wouldn't buy it. I want to buy a forum knife but I want it more plain n5 sounds great.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Jay_Ev wrote:Yes to a G-10 Harpy, but not as a forum knife. The G-10 Harpy is such a good knife and it should be used and enjoyed by all and shouldn't be exclusive to forum members.
I wouldn't mind if they made the G-10 Harpy for the main line up. But for some reason I don't think they will do that. I'm wanting a new G-10 Harpy even if it has to be brought back as a Forum Knife.

And the more I think about it I just love the idea of making it in plain edge and Spyderedge.. With different colored handles of course.

As far as I know the very first G-10 Harpy that they made with ATS-55 ( and the only one as far as I know) was never made in the plain edge. They did make a Carbon Fiber version in plain edge because I had one once. I just think it's high time to do it again. I thought maybe the idea of a Forum knife would get a lot of folks to get to know this great model of years gone by.