Photo comparison - Manix 2XL and Tuff

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KardinalSyn

Photo comparison - Manix 2XL and Tuff

Post by KardinalSyn »

Went on to do this comparison as well. It would be good to hear what you think about how the Manix 2XL and Tuff compare against each other.

I wonder what the Manix 2XL would look like with a thicker blade.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Interesting that they're somewhat similar in overall shape. You couldn't make the blade thicker, the slicer crowd would cry foul ;)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I was disappointed when the XL came out that it had such a slim blade...I have always wanted to see it bumped back up in thickness.
On the hunt for...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:I was disappointed when the XL came out that it had such a slim blade...I have always wanted to see it bumped back up in thickness.
+1. Yeah it makes for a better slicer, but what's the sense in such a badass lock and a knife that's built like a tank if the blade itself is thin? I think the whole package has more potential than it has been given.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

Great thread.....was searching for some pics and info on google on the manix 2 xl and this helps a lot as I've got a tuff here with me. Thank you!
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Evil D wrote:+1. Yeah it makes for a better slicer, but what's the sense in such a badass lock and a knife that's built like a tank if the blade itself is thin? I think the whole package has more potential than it has been given.
I have enough slicers also! I'm glad I got 2 Manix2 HG knives! Needs a beefier tip though! Here we go!!! :D
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I so don't like the Tuff's dimples that I ruled it out, in spite of the 3V I've been wanting to explore.

I would not have been disappointed if my S90V Manix2 XL had been 4mm thick...
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Maybe we need a Manix 2 XL sprint run in 3V, with a sabre grind?
78lilred

Post by 78lilred »

I've used the s90v xl and tuff side by side, for a workhorse the tuff wins for my hands.
M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.
Strong-Dog

Post by Strong-Dog »

IMO, the Manix XL is "better" than the Tuff in every conceivable way except for the steel. Ergos, lock, FFG, blade shape, cutting performance, thinness, grip, action, etc. The Manix XL in s90v, that's just ridiculous compared to the Tuff. Keep in mind this is all my opinion.
"For a second, I thought I was dead, but when I heard all the noise I knew they were cops. Only cops talk that way. If they had been wiseguys, I wouldn't have heard a thing. I would've been dead."

-Henry Hill
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

If you look at other higher end folders strider, hinderer, chris reeve etc. That is what the tuff compares to. It's not even on the same level as a manix or military. It's thick as ****, has titanium and g10 handles, larger stronger pivot, and a beefy frame lock which is probably the best lock in the business. It is by far one of the strongest folders Sal has ever created. And I thank him for that because it is indeed perfect.
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

So what we've learned here is that people definitely have a favorite, and it's awesome that we have so many sweet knives to choose from. I, for one, would change almost nothing about the XL including blade thickness. I've never felt like I needed any more beef in the blade, and I have never even heard of a broken one. It feels like it was made for my hand in any grip, and the Golden factory turns out superb fit and finish. The only slight tweak I would make is the ride height caused by the pocket clip placement. HOWEVER, I acknowledge that lowering it would make it more difficult to grab with gloved hands, I just don't have gloves on all that often so it's a fine tradeoff for me.

Favorite Spyderco: XL FTW.
Holland

Post by Holland »

If i was ever in the market for a folder that size, these photos would lead me towards the manix 2 XL
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

eric m. wrote:I have enough slicers also! I'm glad I got 2 Manix2 HG knives! Needs a beefier tip though! Here we go!!! :D
Ditto. I went out and bought a backup HG when they switched to FFG.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I'm sort of stating the obvious, but with the XL's skeletonized liners and ffg blade, I think Eric was going for the upper limits of what people would be likely to EDC. The blade does seem a bit thin, and it's "thunk" sounds a bit tinny when you open it, but it's plenty badass for my needs. It weighs 5.2oz, same as the Manix2 HG and over an ounce less than the Tuff. I could edc just about anything in my situation, and I love the heck out my 3 Manixes, but I find myself often edcing lighter knives. But I'd love to have one with a 4mm blade, if they'd keep the regular XL in production.

The one time I held a framelock spydie, I didn't think to test it for left hand closing. Could someone tell me if you can disengage the Tuff lock with your left index finger?
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.