Who would like to see a Spyderco kiridashi?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you like to see a Spyderco kiridashi?

YES!
37%
NO!
26%
Maybe, would have to see a prototype
37%

Total votes: 54

duvaldrummer

Who would like to see a Spyderco kiridashi?!

Post by duvaldrummer »

I've been on a traditional kick lately and think it would be cool to see Spyderco's take on the kiridashi style knife. Anybody else agree?
My :spyder:'s : C11FBL Delica 4 ffg; C36CMOBK Military; C123 Sage; C135 PPT; C81G2 Para-Military 2; C75SS3 Kiwi3(2); B02GP SmallFly; C10FPPR Endura 4 FFG; C81GPOR2 Para-Military 2(2); C28BK2 Dragonfly2; C11FPOR Delica 4 ffg; C11GYW Delica 4 Emerson; C88SBK Salt I SpyderEdge; C10JBB Endura Jigged Bone/Damascus; C10PPN Endura;
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Id have to see a prototype. If it were also to be a folder, the challenge there is making an appealing handle to house the super positive angled blade
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

No thanks. One can easily find them by local makers or blacksmiths.
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
psychophipps

Post by psychophipps »

And Sal is fairly well known for not liking chisel grinds.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Everyone is different, but not on my list.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Maybe someone can explain the utility of the kiridashi to me. I've seen them for years and they are advertised as wood carving knives - and I have a similar-shaped blade in my Marbles carving set. But what other uses would one have for this blade shape?

TedP

angusW

Post by angusW »

They're good for sharpening pencils. Dr. Snubnose gave a very good explanation on the uses of them.

I wish I could change my vote. I chose "Maybe" but would instead like to vote "YES!".
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
duvaldrummer

Post by duvaldrummer »

phillipsted wrote:Maybe someone can explain the utility of the kiridashi to me. I've seen them for years and they are advertised as wood carving knives - and I have a similar-shaped blade in my Marbles carving set. But what other uses would one have for this blade shape?

TedP

I must say, those aren't at all what I had in mind haha! If you do an image search for kiridashi in google, you will see a better example in what I was thinking about. The main uses as I see them are small, robust edc fixed blades w/ a straight edge. They seem perfect for opening boxes, packages, letters, and small utility work.
My :spyder:'s : C11FBL Delica 4 ffg; C36CMOBK Military; C123 Sage; C135 PPT; C81G2 Para-Military 2; C75SS3 Kiwi3(2); B02GP SmallFly; C10FPPR Endura 4 FFG; C81GPOR2 Para-Military 2(2); C28BK2 Dragonfly2; C11FPOR Delica 4 ffg; C11GYW Delica 4 Emerson; C88SBK Salt I SpyderEdge; C10JBB Endura Jigged Bone/Damascus; C10PPN Endura;
redyps04

Post by redyps04 »

It would make sense for a company that makes many of thier knives in Japan to do a traditional Japanese blade.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Look at British blades , Australian blade forums , and blade forum for a custom maker called npd he makes awesome dashis in firestorm Damascus and ss for very reasonable costs .
I personally think the dynamics of a kiridashi would not fit with the spyderco brand it would be hard to design a recognisable spyderco kiridashi IMO .
The utility aspect for these blades were a small carving tool that offers detailed control and precision encompassing the grind and sharpend tip and top edge.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

duvaldrummer wrote:I must say, those aren't at all what I had in mind haha! If you do an image search for kiridashi in google, you will see a better example in what I was thinking about. The main uses as I see them are small, robust edc fixed blades w/ a straight edge. They seem perfect for opening boxes, packages, letters, and small utility work.
Yeah, I've handled a few traditional kiridashi blades (no scales, angled chisel grind) and wasn't sure how to use them, other than for carving and woodworking. I posted the picture just to compare the grind to one of the knives in my carving set (e.g., angled chisel grind - first and third from the right).

Seems like it wouldn't be a very big seller for Sal in any event, given the limited utility of the blade type...

TedP
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

The ones I have seen resemble nothing like the picture posted but like you state check the info I gave also not sure if I broke any rules posting reference to a custom maker apologies if I did remove if necessary .
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Most of the kiridashi I've seen look something like this example. I could see its use as a "necker" or a utility knife. To be honest, they seem more like angled chisels than proper knives - but I have not been schooled on traditional Japanese cutlery traditions...

TedP

CombatGrappler

Post by CombatGrappler »

Just not my cup of tea in knives; definitely not something I would look to Spyderco for.
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

I'ld love to see a Spyderco Kiri.

Those are very versatile blades to have around, and also are truly handy work blades.

Aren't Spyderco primarily Work Blades? So is a Kiri.

And since a Kiri is a plain small steel blade it shouldn't be pricey :)
Stay Sharp!
Stew

Post by Stew »

phillipsted wrote:Maybe someone can explain the utility of the kiridashi to me. I've seen them for years and they are advertised as wood carving knives - and I have a similar-shaped blade in my Marbles carving set. But what other uses would one have for this blade shape?

TedP
Hi Ted,

My understanding of the kiridashi is that it's traditional function is actually as a wood marking knife - it's used as a scribe against a straight edge.

However, I've made a few kiris of different shapes and use them for all sorts. I think of them as a handy wee sharp.
Cheers,
Stew.

[CENTER]www.StewartJLight-Knives.com[/CENTER]
Stew

Post by Stew »

Also, just because a kiridashi is traditionally a chisel grind (so it can be tight up against a ruler), I don't think that means they can't have a double bevel.
Cheers,
Stew.

[CENTER]www.StewartJLight-Knives.com[/CENTER]
spyderedge

Post by spyderedge »

TedP

They are Japanese woodworking knives. They are very handy around the shop, but only okay for EDC. Though they do look cool.
My :spyder: Endura 4 FFG Plain, Black in VG-10 had been my faithful EDC companion since 9/26/2012
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

The pics philipstead posted are archetypal kiridashi the handle has variations but the blade should be that standard grind.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

Just brought this up again as a friend of mine has just posted one of his dashi,s on britishblades members projects name is NPD it's a stunning example of one go and have a look if your interested .