Would you choose Dragonfly 2 or Centofante 3?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Deal4

Would you choose Dragonfly 2 or Centofante 3?

Post by Deal4 »

I am looking for a nice EDC and the Dragonfly 2 and Centofante 3 are both unique, nice knives that are very light.
The reason I am having a hard time deciding is I love the wire clip on the Dragonfly 2 as well as the finger choil, while with the Centofante 3 I love how it is an insane slicer with a real classy look!
Obviously they are both great knives, but if you could just pick one which one would you chose and why?
Thanks, and if you happen to through in a couple pics I won't complain!
Can't see too many pics of Spydies! :D
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

I have both but no pics at hand now.

I like the Dragonfly for smaller jobs like letter opening, cutting plastic ties and other cutting which requires some precision. This knife is real easy for me to maneuver using that choil and handle. It's also decent enough to us around NKP.

Like you said, the Cento3 is a superb slicer and very light. It was my first Spydie and holds a special place in my small collection. It is I would say a good entry knife for the Spydie range. Like the Delica. I chose the Cento3 due to its design over the Delica.

The only slight disadvantage I see with the Centofante 3 is its pinned construction. The dragonfly has screw construction. But if I had to chose between them, it will be the Cento.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

I'd go for the Centofante 3 for the reasons you mention. I find it a very comfortable knife to use, very practical EDC blade length, reasonably sheeple friendly and it takes less space in pocket than a Delica. It is one of the few Spydercos that I have a spare of in my safe for the day they get discontinued or I loose my user.

The Dragonfly is a size that I have never got my head around and as such don't have one so don't take my comments too seriously. I "get" the Ladybug and the Delica. The Dragonfly is somewhere in between. I have a few knives with similar blade lengths and I find I'd rather carry / use something bigger (typically 3 inch blade) or something smaller (key chain knife). The choil may help get a 4 finger grip on the knife. I'll probably get one eventually but it isn't high on my priority list.
Deal4

Post by Deal4 »

KardinalSyn wrote:I have both but no pics at hand now.

I like the Dragonfly for smaller jobs like letter opening, cutting plastic ties and other cutting which requires some precision. This knife is real easy for me to maneuver using that choil and handle. It's also decent enough to us around NKP.

Like you said, the Cento3 is a superb slicer and very light. It was my first Spydie and holds a special place in my small collection. It is I would say a good entry knife for the Spydie range. Like the Delica. I chose the Cento3 due to its design over the Delica.

The only slight disadvantage I see with the Centofante 3 is its pinned construction. The dragonfly has screw construction. But if I had to chose between them, it will be the Cento.
Thanks for the reply! That was fast! Just got down typing out the thread a few min ago.
Ok so you like both. I guess I am leaning toward the Centofante 3. How slick it the handle? I would prefer that it had a finger choil (like the Dragonfly has), but I have used lots of knives that don't have them so most likely won't be a problem.
Deal4

Post by Deal4 »

Good to hear you like your Centofantes!
I really wish I could actually handle a Dragonfly to see how it fit in hand. I don't mind having a small knife, but I a little worried it might be a little too small.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I have both (in fact I have more than a couple of Dragonsflies!). While I like the Cento just fine, the DFly2 is in a category by itself. It carries very small in the pocket, but cuts like a much bigger knife. The ergonomics are as good as any knife I've ever owned, and it comes in a variety of scale and steel combinations.

TedP
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It's not giving up as much blade to the Cento as it does handle. A more space efficient tool.

It's the classic modern vs classic debate. Both special but the winner is a personal choice. I say both for dual carry! ;)
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Blerv wrote:It's not giving up as much blade to the Cento as it does handle. A more space efficient tool.

It's the classic modern vs classic debate. Both special but the winner is a personal choice. I say both for dual carry! ;)
Not a bad idea at all. D'fly in the pants pocket because it's so small, Cento in jacket or other pocket for bigger jobs. I find the longer blade of the Cento great for lunchtime. Shorter blade of D'fly might be a little messier to use.

tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This is a hard comparison to make...the two are obviously so different in every area, it really comes down to what your EDC needs are. For me, having a knife as small as the Dfly for my standard EDC is not an option, since simply cutting my sandwich for lunch becomes an issue. Out of the two, i'd pick the Cento 3 hands down, and for more reasons than just the size. It's just a better knife IMO, but that's not to say the Dfly is poor by any means.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

I think what people have been saying is right on the money; which size handle are you more comfortable with and which blade size and shape would work best for the tasks you can see yourself using it for. For me the DF is too small and I think the Cento is a bargain.
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Deal4, private message (PM) sent with some personal commentary.
Deal4 wrote:I am looking for a nice EDC and the Dragonfly 2 and Centofante 3 are both unique, nice knives that are very light.
The reason I am having a hard time deciding is I love the wire clip on the Dragonfly 2 as well as the finger choil, while with the Centofante 3 I love how it is an insane slicer with a real classy look!
Obviously they are both great knives, but if you could just pick one which one would you chose and why?
Thanks, and if you happen to through in a couple pics I won't complain!
Can't see too many pics of Spydies! :D
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
Deal4

Post by Deal4 »

Pneumothorax wrote:Deal4, private message (PM) sent with some personal commentary.
PM replied to!
Deal4

Post by Deal4 »

Looking like I am going to have to get the Centofante 3!
thanks for all your help one and all! Love hanging out here!
Deal4

Post by Deal4 »

Just had to comment now that I have my Centofante 3 how much I like it! It has a longer blade than a Delica, but it actually feels like it takes up less space in pocket! As most know it isn't a heavy use knife and don't plan to baton with it, but for anything I use a knife for, it is more than adequate! I really like it a lot better than the Delica.
I have heard that it has a slick handle, and though it may be a tad slicker than the standard volcano grip, unless you have wet oily hands I can't see how it would be a problem. I have used it daily for general EDC needs as well as for food prep, and have to say, this knife rocks!
The Centofante 3 doesn't get a ton of attention, but if you find the looks appealing as I did, do not hesitate! The handle fits my hand perfectly and the action is very smooth!
Nice job Spyderco!
Now to start saving for the Dragonfly 2 in Spyderedge!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Kudos :) . Glad you like it, a tried and true classic.
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

I use the Cento 3 to cut through the slices of the pizzas my kids get at restaurants. Works better for that because of the longer blade. D'fly will do that too, but way messier because of the shorter blade. Depends on what you intend to do with it, I guess. Everything PhillipsTed said about the D'fly is true, but sometimes a larger blade is....well, a larger blade.
i
Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

One late vote for the Dragonfly :D
Glad you like the Centofante.
Pomelly

Post by Pomelly »

I prefer the Centofante and not only aesthetically. The Vesuvius was my first Spyderco and maybe I'm biased :)
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Had to post a comparison pic :) Both are very enjoyable :D The ZDP and H1 D'Flys ride with me almost every day. Whenever I want a larger slicer the Cento is there :)

I wouldn't worry about the pinned construction on the Cento. It is a very well built featherweight knife. I wouldn't suggest using as a prybar though :eek: ...Enjoy :)
Attachments
centofly 001.jpg
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Deal4

Post by Deal4 »

dbcad wrote:Had to post a comparison pic :) Both are very enjoyable :D The ZDP and H1 D'Flys ride with me almost every day. Whenever I want a larger slicer the Cento is there :)

I wouldn't worry about the pinned construction on the Cento. It is a very well built featherweight knife. I wouldn't suggest using as a prybar though :eek: ...Enjoy :)
Hey, nice comparison shot! :D They look like they would be a great combo!
One more question: since you often use both the Cento and D'fly, which would you recommend? The PE or SE? I have been going for the SE, but have had a number of people say that they don't often use their SE D'fly. I don't want to buy a knife that I will rarely use or see pocket time.
What are your thoughts if you could just have one or the other D'fly? :confused: