Techno (CTS-XHP) sharpening help/advice

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mocean

Techno (CTS-XHP) sharpening help/advice

Post by Mocean »

So I started sharpening knives when I was a kid using a round fine sharpening stone and some spit, it worked a treat and I always managed to get my SAK razor sharp.

Fast forward 20 years and I know have a fancy Sharpmaker which is just fantastic. It is easy to use and puts a razor sharp edge on my knives.

In my modest collection I have a couple of Esees, 1095 steel, simple to sharpen, insanely sharp.

I also have a Cat (440C), a Dragonfly (VG-10), a Ladybug (ZDP-189) and a Manix2 (154CM) all of which I can quite easily get shaving sharp.

The 154CM would be the hardest for me to sharpen, but I feel that's partly due to the semi-serrated blade on my Manix2, which makes it a little difficult to get long, flowing strokes going on the Sharpmaker.

On to my Techno, when I first got this it was crazy sharp. I use my Techno a lot and recently have been putting it through its paces helping a friend with some renovations.

I don't baby the tool, but I also don't abuse it. I don't use it to cut anything metal, aluminium, wire etc, but anything wood, plastic, cable ties etc that you would expect during renovation and carpentry work I attack without a second thought.

The edge has help up very well and still cuts well, but the magical crazy sharpness has gone and I cannot get it back.

I use the 40 deg Sharpmaker stones, starting with the grey, onto the white just like the video shows and exactly what I do for all my knives.

I have done the Sharpie thing to see where I am hitting and apart from missing the very tip of the blade at times, my contact is correct.

But, I am not getting an arm hair shaving edge back again.

What do I do, keep grinding away on the white stones? Am I doing something fundamentally wrong? Should I throw this Techno in the drawer and simply buy a new one each time it gets blunt (joke!)

Sorry for the rambling post, I'd love to hear from other Techno owners about their sharpening experiences, other CTS-XHP users or just anyone who wants to chime in!!

Gratuitous Techno shot to brighten up this text heavy post!

Invective

Post by Invective »

I haven't had to sharpen up my Techno yet but I have touched it up. What kind of pressure are you putting on it? I've found for me just touching it up with really light pressure on 1500 grit sandpaper gets it back to hair-popping.

I have sharpened my roommates D2 Dozier though and, which according to Sal, CTS-XHP is pretty much stainless D2 and I didn't have any problem with it. Just had to go slowly and work my way up the grits. Took me about 15 minutes or so but it got to shaving sharp from barely slicing printer paper.
CharlesB

Post by CharlesB »

Some thoughts from a relative neophyte in the world of knives and sharpening:

1) Perhaps the Sharpmaker's 40 degree angle is too steep relative to the original bevel on the Techno. What are your sharpie markings telling you when you put edge to stone? If you think the 40 degree bevel is too steep, what about trying the 30 degree "back bevel" side of the Sharpmaker to make a more shallow grind?

2) Nice gratuitous image! From my experience with the Sharpmaker and the "grey" (brown in my eyes) stones, that edge looks like it hasn't seen the medium and / or fine stones yet.

3) Perhaps the edge that you are achieving is so razor thin, it is has rolled over and simply needs one or two swipes on your finest grain stone to clean things up. A strop might not hurt either. I have found that running my fingernail (or a piece of paper) upwards from the spine-side over the edge will tell me if it has rolled. The fingernail or paper will catch on the rolled steel.

Now for the more experienced blade veterans to chime in....
vinito

Post by vinito »

Use a strop or a leather belt to strop the edge. There may a bur that could be messing up your edge.
Mocean

Post by Mocean »

Thanks for the advice everyone, I hadn't used a strop before so gave it a go. A few strokes on the back of my belt and the knife was instantly sharper. I still have a way to go, but I will incorporate stropping into my sharpening routine from now!

Cheers.
Slash

Post by Slash »

Hard to speculate what's wrong without seeing the blade in person. But, I would guess it has more to do with the angle(due to the thickness of the blade) than the steel.
Reprofile or higher degrees sounds in order. Also, stropping the blade for maintaining a nice edge will help.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Mocean wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone, I hadn't used a strop before so gave it a go. A few strokes on the back of my belt and the knife was instantly sharper. I still have a way to go, but I will incorporate stropping into my sharpening routine from now!

Cheers.
If you got better results after stropping on a piece of leather with no compound it souns like you had a burr. What you might want to consider is reprofiling the edge using the 30 degree setting, then put the edge bevel on the knife at the 40 degree setting. Lowering the back bevel angle will improve overall cutting performance and the edge bevel at 40 degrees will strengthen the edge. Personally, I'd just get the edge razor sharp at the 30 degree setting first. It will probably be fine at that angle. Then, occasional touch ups at 40 degrees will involve about 2 minutes and a few strokes on the fine rods. If the edge does seem to be weak at the 30 degree angle for your use and is chipping a little it is very easy to increase the edge bevel to 40 degrees. Also, with the back bevel at 30, you will always know you are hitting the edge when the sharpmaker is at the 40 degree setting. A few quick light touch up strokes with the white, fine stones will keep the edge shaving sharp. Using a strop frequently will keep the edge razor sharp so you will never be walking out of the house with a dull knife.

Reprofiling may take some time but I believe it will be worth it in the long run.

It sounds like the knife is performing like I hope it would. That's good because I've been wanting one since it was released.

Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes. :)
indie_dave

Post by indie_dave »

jackknifeh wrote:Reprofiling may take some time but I believe it will be worth it in the long run.
Krein Regrind?! :eek:
·EDC·ChapparralGBAirPara2LionSpyBalance·Gave:^)·AssistJumpmasterPacificSaltSaverSaltLumTantoDelica·Wish·StarmateSouthforkATRSaltDflyKumoBarongKhukri·LosT_T·Para2Cricket