Spyderco Challenge Coin?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I think that they are pretty cool and would be something that would be interesting for sure...

Maybe release one with a forum knife...limited that way.
On the hunt for...
wolfstyle

Post by wolfstyle »

i'd be in for a couple.

I like the idea of the forum knife being accompanied with a challenge coin.

wolfstyle
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

I’ve perhaps four dozen coins. Of those, I’d put them into two categories. 1) Those given to me by folks as their way of saying “Thanks”, “At-a-boy”, or “It’s been a good working with you and getting to know you”. 2) The second category of coins is those that I’ve purchased as part of my “landing fee” in a unit. These are the ones I carry if indeed challenged at the bar. I usually buy many extra over my time in the unit and give all but one away as my way of saying thanks, at-a-boy, or it’s been good working with you. I always keep at least one to remind me of my time in that unit.

I don’t think I could ever buy a coin from someone or from a company. I’d feel too much like a wannabe. The exception to that: I’d “buy” one if it was part of my “landing fee” in the forums. If we collectively decide to create a coin, I’d go in. To me it would feel more like buying into a collective endeavor and less like buying a meaningless coin. So yes, I’d be in for a Forum Coin.

A gifted coin is something to be proud to own. So is a coin for the group your in. I’d be proud to be gifted a coin by Spyderco, especially if earned or if with a handshake from the owner or from an employee. I’d also be proud to have a coin representing being part of this forum. I learn something everyday. Sometimes it’s about knives. Sometimes it’s about life. Sometime both.

I’m far to new here to presume to create a coin for the forums, but if someone needs some help, please feel free to ask.

James
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stewart Mill
Drahkis

Post by Drahkis »

+1

I would definitely buy one
Half Sack
Location: Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program

Post by Half Sack »

long post short.
Do it, hopefully I'm on board to support it. Send the profits to some vet group or something.

I love the troops, J.

Edit: If a coin is 10-15 I'd pay 20-25 to buy one for me and one for a troop/group being supported by the coin. It can't just be for us, the forum dudes...
Edit2: I'd buy a coin for 10-15 for any troop I need nothing in return, just a donation. Mind you I buy my knives outside of the SFO
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I'm another one who never understood the intent or purpose behind challenge coins. In fact, the name (or term) 'challenge coin' just comes off as sounding confrontational to me. I've never felt the need to challenge anyone to anything.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

I'd buy a modestly priced Forum Challenge coin - gotta have a minimum of 1500 posts, right? ;)
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

A bottle of beer with dinner at home is about the extent of my drinking. Don't think I've been in a bar this century, and I have no plans to change that. OTOH, as I said earlier, I'd be on board for any Spyderco or Spyderco Forum branded trinket.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Jay_Ev wrote:I'm another one who never understood the intent or purpose behind challenge coins. In fact, the name (or term) 'challenge coin' just comes off as sounding confrontational to me. I've never felt the need to challenge anyone to anything.
As described in the history link I provided, the original "challenge" involved a WWI US pilot who was captured by the Germans and had all his papers confiscated. His coin, worn in a pouch around his neck and bearing his unit logo, was his way of proving his identity as an American when "challenged" by other American servicemen. When the coins were used primarily by elite units, the "challenge" was to have your coin with you as a symbol of your pride in your unit. If you didn't, buying a round for the group helped you remember to carry it the next time.

It has never been used as a tool to challenge in a confrontational sense and is a symbol of pride in an organization or unit.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I would definitely buy a few for the spyderco fans I know.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
ChaoticLuck

Post by ChaoticLuck »

Michael Janich wrote:Here's a link to the Wikipedia page that explains the origin and purpose of challenge coins: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Challenge_coin.

Up until about 10-15 years ago, they were pretty much limited to military and LE units and given out only to personal friends and associates by unit members. In recent years they have become more commercialized and often used as a "keepsake" item for special events.

When Spyderco started the OpFocus program, Kristi and I pushed for challenge coins that we could share in the original spirit of the coin--only to close associates who understood and shared the tradition. We produced a limited number of WarriorChip challenge coins for that purpose, but they are not commercially available to the public.

If you'd like one that is available for purchase, please voice your opinion here.

Stay safe,

Mike
Is there any chance you could post a picture of it please? Perhaps looking at what one made available to the public could look like will drum up more interest.
Detdaddy

Post by Detdaddy »

I would definately be interested in one!
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.
Pro-V

Post by Pro-V »

I would absolutely be in for a few coins. While rarely used for the originally intended purpose, they can and do serve as a collectible token of membership. Perhaps they could be offered in lieu of a forum knife in the years when the crew is too busy to create and produce a special blade? Not this year, of course, since we're already looking forward to that forum knife!
BAL

Post by BAL »

Michael Janich wrote:As described in the history link I provided, the original "challenge" involved a WWI US pilot who was captured by the Germans and had all his papers confiscated. His coin, worn in a pouch around his neck and bearing his unit logo, was his way of proving his identity as an American when "challenged" by other American servicemen. When the coins were used primarily by elite units, the "challenge" was to have your coin with you as a symbol of your pride in your unit. If you didn't, buying a round for the group helped you remember to carry it the next time.

It has never been used as a tool to challenge in a confrontational sense and is a symbol of pride in an organization or unit.

Stay safe,

Mike
Thanks for posting the info Mike, I don't think that many understood what it mean't.
It is a symbol of pride and a nice collector's piece. It probably wouldn't be feasible,
but a coin for certain Spyderco knives would be interesting.
A Yojimbo 2 challenge coin, I like it.
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

I would love to see a Spyderco challenge coin. I have carried my coin everyday for years and it represents something very important to me. I'm thinking a "Spyderco Forums" coin would be popular. Lets do this.
This is my well carried coin.
:spyder:
Dan
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

How about a Challenge Coin in the shape of the Spyderco Edge Angle Guide! :D
C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
kellyglanzer

Post by kellyglanzer »

Subscribed.
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

I'd be interested in one as well.
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.

Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

The information posted by Michael Janich is the origin of the challenge coin as I understand it as a military member. For every unit I've been assigned to, I always make sure I acquire the "unit coin" or "RMO" (Round Metal Object). And, yes, at the military clubs, if a member of your organization, unit, or specialty slaps their RMO on a hard surface, you'd better be able to produce your own and smack it on the counter or else you're buying a round. It is a military tradition.

Now, from a knife point of view, I provide the following link to show what Emerson Knives sells as a challenge coin...

http://www.emersonknives.com/ekCoin.php

I do own one of these since I do own some of Mr. Emerson's knives. If Sal would design and offer a Spyderco Challenge Coin, I certainly would get one.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

I believe Mr. Emerson's Order of the Black Shamrock has its own challenge coin as well.
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.