Replacement Caspian 2 ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Trevor_S

Replacement Caspian 2 ?

Post by Trevor_S »

Hi guys.

I am in a remote area volunteer rescue crew and have been doing swiftwater rescue training, SAR, vehicle rescues (ie bogged etc) vertical rescue in remote areas etc for about 2 years and finally decided to get of my butt and get my own kit (pfd's, harness, knife etc) instead of using the one size fits no body kit our crew have. I had settled on the Caspian 2 (book marked it some time ago but never actually purchased one) ... now I see it's discontinued... SOB! ?

Why a caspian 2 ? I wanted one I could attach to a pfd so if I was upside down in our rescue raft or kayak I don't have to reach into a pocket, just remove from a scabbard and cut loose entangled ropes etc

Any ideas if there is a replacement or something similar on offer elsewhere ? or if they will even come back ? I trolled ebay but can't find a used one.

here's a link of the kind of stuff we do (training exercises I took pics of)

Thanks

Trevor in Aus
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

Welcome to the forum Trevor , check some of the other knife forums that have BST areas. I recently saw what you are looking for. I believe it was up for trade. I wish I had purchased 1 myself back when they were available. If I remember correctly they were in short supply before they were discontinued. Good luck on your search.

James
I believe in safe queens , they do exist!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Trevor,
Welcome to the forum.
E-bay will be your best bet, just be patient. Watch classified sections various knife forums. Bladeforums most likely has more traffic than any other forums. Also put add in wanted sections. I saw Caspians few times after they were discontinued and it looks like price went up significantly to compare with time when they were in production, so may be it worth considering to settle on some current production.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I'm a big Caspian fan as well - one of the few knives I have a backup for.

An excellent substitute would be the Jumpmaster, also in H-1. A folding version of the Jumpmaster is coming out soon which is being made for the Coast Guard. (forget the model name)
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Welcome to the forum Trevor.

I too was sorry to see the Caspian discontinued. I bought mine (the blunt-tip version) for kayaking, just in case I get tangled up in some old fishing line or something. I love the finger-hole, makes for a very secure grip while on the water.

Another good option is the SpyderHawk SE, which has a hole for attaching a lanyard to prevent loss. Unfortunately it has been discontinued also. The Tasman is a little smaller but at least it *is* still available.

I've also carried a Gerber River Shorty attached to my pfd, but I do prefer the Spyderco options :) .
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Price is full MSRP, but Country Knives seems to have one in stock.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

rodloos wrote:Welcome to the forum Trevor.

I too was sorry to see the Caspian discontinued. I bought mine (the blunt-tip version) for kayaking, just in case I get tangled up in some old fishing line or something. I love the finger-hole, makes for a very secure grip while on the water.

Another good option is the SpyderHawk SE, which has a hole for attaching a lanyard to prevent loss. Unfortunately it has been discontinued also. The Tasman is a little smaller but at least it *is* still available.

I've also carried a Gerber River Shorty attached to my pfd, but I do prefer the Spyderco options :) .
Great knife, love my Spyderhawk. Since Trevor specified the blunt tip version of the Caspian, the sheepsfoot blade of the Jumpmaster or new Coast Guard folder seemed closest to me in offering protection from stabbing.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
foofie

Post by foofie »

Not to hicjack the thread - but -
For all the people who use the caspian and attach it to a pfc or a bc - how do you strap it on?
Mine fits in the sheath extremely tightly -hard to pull out since the attachment never seems secure enough.

thanks.
Trevor_S

Post by Trevor_S »

The Deacon wrote:Price is full MSRP, but Country Knives seems to have one in stock.
Thanks for all the hellos ! and thanks for the tip ... $200 !!! eek ! That's a little (lot) more then I wanted to pay, as once it's stuck to the pfd I can't really use it anywhere else.

As to attaching them, I have never looked too closely but the sheath seems "glued" to PFD's and drawn out cross body. Perhaps sikaflex of some sort ? Mind you the few times I have been knocked out of a raft/kayak in white water and upside down tumbling around, it's hard to know up from down let alone be in a state of mind to find a knife if you are entangled, more worried about getting caught on an obstacle or strainer in that respect, so while that was a consideration, I wanted it also for being involved in river rescue being lowered down (ie in control by guys in the side)

(here's me in the water training and you can see no knife on the crew supplied pfd, complete with quick release buckle to bail out and float away)

to someone trapped in vehicle or tangled up in rope/line on a log/rock etc. Definitely no point, way to easy to stab some when being tousled in rough water and they're struggling like **** cause they're drowning.

Thanks for all the suggestions !