Why is everyone sold out of Paramilitary 2 ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
IceCold

Why is everyone sold out of Paramilitary 2 ?

Post by IceCold »

I have been looking to buy a Black DLC coated Paramilitary 2 but every website is sold out. BladeHQ, Knifecenter, Amazon.

Maybe a few sites have it for $199 or $180 but thats too much.

Are there factory or steel problems, or are they ramping up for Holiday 2012 demand?
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

They tried an experiment with the Para 2, significantly lowering the price from the Para 1. The gamble was whether the lower margin would be offset by higher sales. The sales have been so high that they've had trouble all year making them fast enough to keep from selling out. They stopped doing exclusives until they could catch up. I think you are having trouble finding this model because they haven't caught up yet.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

IceCold

Post by IceCold »

Is this the real scoop ? sounds legit.

Paid $135 for my DLC coated camo version. Dont want to go higher than that, I have the All black version sold through Amazon.com for $116 but no word on when they will have more.

lower margin yes but they just can't make them fast enough now, which makes me think Quality control problems.

Anyone have a link to the Spyderco factory video?
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

IceCold wrote:I have been looking to buy a Black DLC coated Paramilitary 2 but every website is sold out. BladeHQ, Knifecenter, Amazon.

Maybe a few sites have it for $199 or $180 but thats too much.

Are there factory or steel problems, or are they ramping up for Holiday 2012 demand?
My suggestion would be to get an order placed and get in line. The dealers you have listed are all working to fill orders as they are received.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

IceCold wrote:...lower margin yes but they just can't make them fast enough now, which makes me think Quality control problems.
Why exactly would your first though be quality control problems?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Because supply < demand
economics 101
I see, said the blind man.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Because supply < demand, economics 101.
I see, said the blind man.
The Student

Post by The Student »

Someone brought this up some time ago with the para 2 and I believe we came to the same conclusion. Then again with the Yo' 2. I think this is correct it seems spyderco is focusing on many projects and they come out in batches, and it seems they just can't keep up with demand. I guess that is a good thing for spyderco, having multiple models sell faster than they can make them.
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

I know of a few websites, but they are canadian...
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

IceCold wrote:Is this the real scoop ? sounds legit.
The part about the experiment with lower margins came straight from Sal. The part about selling as fast as Spyderco can make them is from observation. I don't know how many regular production units have been made and sold, but I do know that the Para 2 exclusives sold out much much faster than most exclusives in the past. The Manix 2 was also a lower cost knife than the original Manix and that, as well as several other newer models has fueled incredible demand.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Slash

Post by Slash »

Because it's the best knife in the world and some youtuber made a video about it?
spydie fanatic

Post by spydie fanatic »

Glad I've had my para2 for awhile now :D
"To Care for Those Who Shall Have Borne the Battle..." Abraham Lincoln

Custom avatar courtesy of Dialex :)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Sequimite wrote:The part about the experiment with lower margins came straight from Sal. The part about selling as fast as Spyderco can make them is from observation. I don't know how many regular production units have been made and sold, but I do know that the Para 2 exclusives sold out much much faster than most exclusives in the past. The Manix 2 was also a lower cost knife than the original Manix and that, as well as several other newer models has fueled incredible demand.
You are wrong dude. Paras are just available to those who are worthy of them and are pure of heart.
Holland

Post by Holland »

because it is the greatest production knife
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:You are wrong dude. Paras are just available to those who are worthy of them and are pure of heart.
...like Thor's hammer or Excalibur.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

mikerestivo wrote:...like Thor's hammer or Excalibur.
Indeed. :D
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

It was rumored that certain clandestine branches of certain governments were buying all the Para2 knives and giving them to aliens. Hence the shortage.

The other rumor was that the knives are being bought by the ancient Ninja families to arm its members.

There was another story involving smurfs and another involving elves.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

KardinalSyn wrote:It was rumored that certain clandestine branches of certain governments were buying all the Para2 knives and giving them to aliens. Hence the shortage.

The other rumor was that the knives are being bought by the ancient Ninja families to arm its members.

There was another story involving smurfs and another involving elves.
I'm glad someone else had heard those rumors too. I was worried I was the only one but now that they are on the internet, they must be true. :D

But seriously, the Para 2 is a great knife for a great price and I think that is driving demand. I had to wait months to get mine. It was well worth it though.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

and ....and if they made one in CPM M4, it would be even greater.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white