Two NEW knife lock designs!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderedge

Two NEW knife lock designs!

Post by spyderedge »

As far as I am aware of, both of thees locks are not being used. One is a modified lockback/tri ad lock. And the other is a modified frame lock lock that I call the Pin loc

The modified frame lock that I call the Pin loc: [ATTACH]20976[/ATTACH] This pin fits where the liner moves over fits into the corresponding hole in the blade's tang. No chance for up and down play.
Attachments
pin loc 2.png
Pin loc 1.jpg
spyderedge

Post by spyderedge »

The modified lockback: [ATTACH]20978[/ATTACH] The pin fits into a corresponding curved slot in the frame of the knife. And the pivot for the lockback is oval shape like the tri ad but I forgot to add it in the picture.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Are these available on actual knives? Ps ur link is dead.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
Chipped Karambit

Post by Chipped Karambit »

link is dead but seems interesting. Question is how well will pin hold during stress
Donut

Post by Donut »

I'm not sure the pin lock would work so great. Having a pressure point off center of the lock bar seems like a greater chance of the lock bar bending or twisting.

Also, since metal bends, I think it will develop play. You'd think you could make a slope down the cylinder so that as the metal wears, the pin will slide further into the blade's hole.

Interested to see your modified lock back.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Unless I'm missing something, it seems the pin loc would be an either/or proposition. You can't have the front face of the lockbar work as a conventional framelock and have tang extending back past that point for the pin to engage. If it just uses the pin, there seems to be little to prevent the long lock arm from wiggling up and down a bit.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Yeah if the tang was extended to accept the pin, that woud stop the lock bar from travelling over and actually locking? The lock bar needs to wedge behind the tang so I dont quite get it, would this also require hyper extension of the lock bar to clear the pin when unlocking? And if your modifying existing locks they probably woudint be considered "new" locks.
I see, said the blind man.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The tolerance required to make the pin lock work properly is going to be so precise that it won't work. You would have to change the pin to some kind of wedge shape that fits into a slot so there could be some self adjustment quality to it. Everything would have to line up so precisely with the pin in order for it to fit tight enough to prevent blade play that the cost to make the entire lock/pivot that perfect would be more than you could charge for the knife to make a profit.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Evil D wrote:The tolerance required to make the pin lock work properly is going to be so precise that it won't work. You would have to change the pin to some kind of wedge shape that fits into a slot so there could be some self adjustment quality to it. Everything would have to line up so precisely with the pin in order for it to fit tight enough to prevent blade play that the cost to make the entire lock/pivot that perfect would be more than you could charge for the knife to make a profit.
+1
Another option, which would allow to loose tolerance a bit is to male a hole few thousands of an inch bigger, but in this case some knives will be great, but some will have play. If you mean tapped pin by wedge, this will develop play with use.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
sal

Post by sal »

We used a similar system on Bob Terzuola's slip joint. Had a ball bearuing instead of a pin. A pin has limitations in self adjustment. that's why most pin locks use tapered pins.

sal
angusW

Post by angusW »

It's great to see people coming up with new ideas for knives but you're putting up your ideas on a public domain. Someone is going to take your idea and patent it.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
spyderedge

Post by spyderedge »

The Deacon wrote:Unless I'm missing something, it seems the pin loc would be an either/or proposition. You can't have the front face of the lockbar work as a conventional framelock and have tang extending back past that point for the pin to engage. If it just uses the pin, there seems to be little to prevent the long lock arm from wiggling up and down a bit.
It only uses the pin. The pin and the stop pin would be the only thing holding the blade from up and down play.
spyderedge

Post by spyderedge »

angusW wrote:It's great to see people coming up with new ideas for knives but you're putting up your ideas on a public domain. Someone is going to take your idea and patent it.
I forgot to mention, this will be removed in the next 48 hours. Just for the "insiders" so see. I will send a latter to spyderco to see what they think.
spyderedge

Post by spyderedge »

Cheddarnut wrote:Are these available on actual knives? Ps ur link is dead.
They are not currently being used.
spyderedge

Post by spyderedge »

w3tnz wrote:Yeah if the tang was extended to accept the pin, that woud stop the lock bar from travelling over and actually locking? The lock bar needs to wedge behind the tang so I dont quite get it, would this also require hyper extension of the lock bar to clear the pin when unlocking? And if your modifying existing locks they probably woudint be considered "new" locks.
It acts similar to the tri ad lock. There is a corresponding grove into the liner for the pin in the lockback. When the lockback moves when there is negative force onto the blade the pin hits the hardened steel liners it stops it moving, thus stopping the blade from moving
spyderedge

Post by spyderedge »

sal wrote:We used a similar system on Bob Terzuola's slip joint. Had a ball bearuing instead of a pin. A pin has limitations in self adjustment. that's why most pin locks use tapered pins.

sal
This might seem stupid, but it an awesome feeling to know a CEO and owner of a very strong company is reading and thinking about my ideas. Thank you!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Spyderhead wrote:It only uses the pin. The pin and the stop pin would be the only thing holding the blade from up and down play.
The what's to prevent pressure on the spine from moving the lock arm? I realize the gap between the bar and the rest of the frame won't be anywhere near as wide as in your drawing, but there will be a gap. Which makes me think it would be more prone to vertical play than a conventional RIL.
Spyderhead wrote:I forgot to mention, this will be removed in the next 48 hours. Just for the "insiders" so see. I will send a latter to spyderco to see what they think.
I wish you success but, FWIW, trying to remove all traces of something that's been posted on the internet is generally considered to be an exercise in futility.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

FYI, this counts as public disclosure whether you take it down or not. You have 1 year from today to secure a provisional patent before this becomes prior art, that is, if there is anything unpatented here.

Also, most companies prefer you deal with them in private over matters of intellectual property specifics.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
jossta

Post by jossta »

The little quote symbol with a + next to it is a multi-quote button.
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

Here is the thing, if you want no play the pin would have to be exact same size as hole on blade, however since the lock arm moves in a radius fashion, an exact sized pin isn't going to fit into the hole (even if it doesn't an exact sized pin is still going to be difficult fit).

SOG revolver use a similar system and the hole had to be slightly oversized to allow the pin to fit in.