Problem with Techno's frame lock

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Titanium

Problem with Techno's frame lock

Post by Titanium »

I notice recently a little bit of up-and-down blade wiggle in my spyderco techno. When I put pressure on the spine of the blade using my hand the face of the lockup gets push far enough off of the tang of the blade lockup that it allows the blade to close a little bit, creating wiggle. But this is not the only problem, because when I increase the pressure on the spine of the blade the lockup failed. I want to know if this is a common issue and if I have to send my new spyderco techno for repair.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

If your lock fails from simple hand pressure, something is wrong. I'd suggest contacting either your dealer or Spyderco to get the knife either replaced or fixed.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Clearcut

Post by Clearcut »

Would have Spyderco check it out
Digi Cam Para 2 S30V, "Smurf" Para 2 M390, CTS-204p Para 2 , CF Stretch ZDP-189, Blue FFG Delica 4 VG-10

CRK Sebenza 21 Lefty
Titanium

Post by Titanium »

It was only hand pressure. But I have to tell you that I did a lot off pressure using my to hands. In my 2 other spydercos (cricket and balance ) this issue is not common.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Lock failure isn't common or as intended. Besides cleaning it and playing with it a bit to see if you can consistently repeat the situation I would send it in.
Titanium

Post by Titanium »

The problem is that I live in Bogotá, Colombia and I am not sure if is safe to send my techno for repair.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Your dealer or Spyderco will have experience with this and can advise you best on how to send in the knife safely.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Titanium

Post by Titanium »

Thank you. I already sent an email to spyderco warranty explaining this situation.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Best of luck friend. Please keep us posted how things go. Welcome to the forums :) .
Titanium

Post by Titanium »

I would add that this situation is quite disturbing as this knife is quite expensive and as a Spyderco's client for 19 years I expect that this wouldn't happen.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'm sure they would agree if indeed it is deemed out of spec. That said anything can happen with a new product. Even low percentages can result on a dice toss.

We had a $52,000 2006 Ford F350 diesel that cme off the truck at the dealership. On startup it bent over half it's pushrods and needed a rebuild. Only 11 miles on the odometer.
Titanium

Post by Titanium »

I was looking to the part of the lockup that touches the tang of the blade and I saw that it doesn't make full contact with the knife´s tang. In other words, it seems that the geometry of the framelock is not correct and therefore it moves when putting some pressure to the spine of the blade
phaust

Post by phaust »

Titanium wrote:I was looking to the part of the lockup that touches the tang of the blade and I saw that it doesn't make full contact with the knife´s tang. In other words, it seems that the geometry of the framelock is not correct and therefore it moves when putting some pressure to the spine of the blade
If I understand correctly to what you're referring, that's not quite right. It does not need to be the case, and in fact usually is not the case for most knives, that the whole lock bar makes contact when looking at it from the side. Marthinus over on Bladeforums has a good set of quotes on the subject; here's one of them http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... st11049951 (in fact that whole thread is on this subject :) )
Titanium

Post by Titanium »

What I understand form Marthinus is that Titanium sticks to metals and it doesn't matter what contact angle you have in the framelock.

(Not to sound bad but you can be off some on contact angle and get by with it by using ti since it can make up for your shortfallings here whereas steel would just slide right off the contact. Steel will demand the contacts be spot on and if they are not well, you'll see locks sliding off the contact toward release easier than ti when the contact angle is not right)

So why do you think the framelock in spyderco techno moves when I put pressure using my hand to the spine of the blade?
kiwispyder

Post by kiwispyder »

Mine does the same, I live with it for now but may buy another one later and give this one to a friend.
I did give mine a light sand on the 2 lock faces (vertically) with some fine sand paper and it helped a bit but still moves.
I can't disengage mine with my hands though.
Here's a video of mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOKM4_yrEjE
Titanium

Post by Titanium »

Is the same problem that I have. Actually I saw your video way before I bought my Spyderco Techno. Also I was reading a post in the forum “http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... lock/page2", which explains some of the characteristics of framelocks. One of the things I was reading said something about the angle of the lock and if the geometry was incorrect in the lock face the tang of the knife will slip.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Maybe you bent the lock out too far, and it won't sit tight enough now. I have a Camillus Cuda that does the same thing. (I don't know why I have it still - bad ergos, stupid assisted opening, expensive :mad: - from long ago) I don't remember opening it too far, but that is exactly what happened. Can you tell I don't like frame locks and liner locks?

- best wishes, Jazz.
Slash

Post by Slash »

The cutting edge should be the only part of the blade that gets pressure.
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

Yea, but it was a Ford ;P
Blerv wrote:I'm sure they would agree if indeed it is deemed out of spec. That said anything can happen with a new product. Even low percentages can result on a dice toss.

We had a $52,000 2006 Ford F350 diesel that cme off the truck at the dealership. On startup it bent over half it's pushrods and needed a rebuild. Only 11 miles on the odometer.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

From a design stand point, what's supposed keep the lock from sliding back off the tang? Is it lock bar pressure inwards or the geometry of the lock interface?
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder: