Tuff not so Tuff...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nullity

Post by nullity »

Minibear453 wrote:Chopping does put stress on the stop pin. Yet, he described that it was upon pulling the knife out that the lock failed. When the knife is being pulled out, the stress is on the lock. I do not believe that this pulling action should have caused the knife to fail. Maybe it constitutes abuse, yet that decision is up to Spyderco, and in my opinion, it should not be abuse. I've batoned folders right through logs, and they held up. Some of them were even ones that I made, with tolerances far below that of Spyderco's. Even if the lock was over bent, the fact that it still engages (I'm assuming it still engages from the OP's post), means that it should still hold regardless. A frame or liner lock does not depend upon the bending of the titanium to hold the knife open, otherwise they would have to be too strong to be disengaged with one's hand. When the spine is compressed, it is the friction between the blade tang and the lock that keeps the knife open, not the strength of the spring that holds the titanium in place.
I think that is incorrect.

A liner/framelock's lockbar needs the proper amount of spring tension to function.
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

nullity wrote: Chopping puts pressure on the stop-pin, and not the lockbar, if done "correctly".
No it doesn't, even a basic view of collision dynamics would show that conclusion is completely false. The impulses in a physical collision will act in all three axis in both directions. It is extremely rare for any component to be zero, aside from an arbitrary axis constraint so defined.

Minibear453 wrote:Yet, he described that it was upon pulling the knife out that the lock failed. When the knife is being pulled out, the stress is on the lock. I do not believe that this pulling action should have caused the knife to fail. Maybe it constitutes abuse, yet that decision is up to Spyderco, and in my opinion, it should not be abuse.
The same force would be on the knife if he cut into a turnip, the blade wedged and he attempted to pull it out, would anyone dare to argue that using the Tuff to cut a turnip is abusive. I believe everyone would reach your conclusion then about abuse. It isn't the inherent nature of the activity, it is what it does to the knife which needs to be considered.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

thelock wrote:Wildsteer WX
WoW, for 9.5 oz. and the perceived uncomfortable ergos associated with the lock, I will just carry a small fixed blade before I try one of these. To each his own.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
nullity

Post by nullity »

Cliff Stamp wrote:No it doesn't, even a basic view of collision dynamics would show that conclusion is completely false. The impulses in a physical collision will act in all three axis in both directions. It is extremely rare for any component to be zero, aside from an arbitrary axis constraint so defined.
I suppose you're right, but I am not intelligent/educated enough to fully understand what you say.

My point was that chopping, unless done abusively, wouldn't over-extend the lockbar outwardly.
That is why I am assuming user error.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

DCDesigns wrote: I felt that since this knife was touted as a folding fixed blade tank

Just goes to show you, not everything will live up to the hype!
You got the reaction you did because of comments like this, hardly productive at all, "fanboys" on a factory forum? No way.

With no pictures and you jumping the gun before Spyderco have had a chance to inspect it and rule out abuse, user error etc this thread seems absolutely pointless. Why not send it in, actually find out what happened, then report back, that way Spyderco will be able to either fix / improve the "problem" and save the speculation and tit for tat e-battles.
I see, said the blind man.
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

w3tnz wrote:You got the reaction you did because of comments like this, hardly productive at all, "fanboys" on a factory forum? No way.

With no pictures and you jumping the gun before Spyderco have had a chance to inspect it and rule out abuse, user error etc this thread seems absolutely pointless. Why not send it in, actually find out what happened, then report back, that way Spyderco will be able to either fix / improve the "problem" and save the speculation and tit for tat e-battles.

Maybe it's time for a new forum where we all just think about our knives in private rather than actually giving those thoughts life by communicating them via the written word. We could call it the "Hello is Anybody out there Forum" and it would be completely devoid of any aggravating human interaction. It could be based out of North Korea, you know a little Pink Floyd ahh east meets west vibe, might fly?
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Keep us posted DCD.. I assume that you sent it home for a checkup? I think the Tuff is more than capable to do what was asked of it. Seems like there may be a slight adjustment that needs to be made to yours. I'm confident that most of us have had the occasional odd ball knife.
This thread seemed to go off on some tangents. Seems to happen a lot.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

DRKBC wrote:Maybe it's time for a new forum where we all just think about our knives in private rather than actually giving those thoughts life by communicating them via the written word. We could call it the "Hello is Anybody out there Forum" and it would be completely devoid of any aggravating human interaction. It could be based out of North Korea, you know a little Pink Floyd ahh east meets west vibe, might fly?
Interesting thoughts, but I think your over thinking it a little? Maybe we can keep using this forum and all be friends, but instead of jumping to conclusions either way with little to no evidence provided, we could wait until the cause of the fault is proved and have an intelligent and productive analysis and discussion rather than speculation and maybe one day someone will even post some pictures, I like pictures :)
I see, said the blind man.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

thelock wrote:
Sorry for the off-topic, just throwing the facts out.
That's not proof that you used your knife for a year. LMAO!

What you can do is cut up a couple cardboard boxes on video and without taking the knife off camera, show it cut paper after cutting up the boxes. I'd eat humble pie after that.

BTW, a couple of boxes is pretty much only a couple of days of knife use for me. And not shoeboxes too. ;)

Additionally, just tighten the pivot on that recon 1 and you'll find that it will have no blade play.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

w3tnz wrote:Interesting thoughts, but I think your over thinking it a little? Maybe we can keep using this forum and all be friends, but instead of jumping to conclusions either way with little to no evidence provided, we could wait until the cause of the fault is proved and have an intelligent and productive analysis and discussion rather than speculation and maybe one day someone will even post some pictures, I like pictures :)
i completely agree.... this is why i posted what i did. guys shouldnt be jumping to conclusions. this could very easily be a lemon, or user error. we shall see as it pans out. im interested to see what happens and that DC is taken care of if it was in fact a lemon.
thelock

Post by thelock »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:That's not proof that you used your knife for a year. LMAO!

What you can do is cut up a couple cardboard boxes on video and without taking the knife off camera, show it cut paper after cutting up the boxes. I'd eat humble pie after that.

BTW, a couple of boxes is pretty much only a couple of days of knife use for me. And not shoeboxes too. ;)

Additionally, just tighten the pivot on that recon 1 and you'll find that it will have no blade play.
A normal human being would understand that I would have no reason to lie, if you think I am sponsored by spyderco to lie then u need to get a life dude.
:spyder: Paramilitary 2
:spyder: Bob Lum Tanto Sprint
:spyder: Anso Zulu
:spyder: Szabo Folder
:spyder: Delica ZDP-189
:spyder: SS Kiwi
:spyder: SS Bug set
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

[quote="w3tnz"]Interesting thoughts, but I think your over thinking it a little? Maybe we can keep using this forum and all be friends, but instead of jumping to conclusions either way with little to no evidence provided, we could wait until the cause of the fault is proved and have an intelligent and productive analysis and discussion rather than speculation and maybe one day someone will even post some pictures, I like pictures :) [/QUOTE

Maybe ... I still like the "Hello is Anybody out there Forum" I just need to figure out how to get people to pay for different levels of membership. I will think about your picture idea though its a little off the wall but it could have some merit.

Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

thelock wrote:A normal human being would understand that I would have no reason to lie, if you think I am sponsored by spyderco to lie then u need to get a life dude.

funny.... i thought someone who went out of his way to make a video to refute what someone else has said is someone that should get a life. too much time on your hands?
thelock

Post by thelock »

Popsickle wrote:funny.... i thought someone who went out of his way to make a video to refute what someone else has said is someone that should get a life. too much time on your hands?
We in the youtube knife community make videos because we think it is fun and it is interesting to share. I find the time ;)
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

thelock wrote:[video=youtube;9KDA5tCTnis]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KDA5tCTnis[/video]

Sorry for the off-topic, just throwing the facts out.
you seem to not cut much :D :p If i couldnt sharpen a knife , I wouldnt cut much either and only use a knife if I really HAVE to
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

thelock wrote:We in the youtube knife community make videos because we think it is fun and it is interesting to share. I find the time ;)
i noticed. doesnt change the fact......
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

also, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. even if it is wrong.... ;)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

thelock wrote:A normal human being would understand that I would have no reason to lie, if you think I am sponsored by spyderco to lie then u need to get a life dude.
You said so yourself in your vid that you can't sharpen, that's a good reason not to use your knife except for making paper slicing vids. You put your foot in your mouth by claiming something that you can't back up. There's your reason.

Go on, just continue fooling yourself because you're not fooling anybody else.

Elvis has left the building.
thelock

Post by thelock »

That's not an opinion, that is personal experience. I have no reason to lie.

Travis ur right I don't cut much.

Sorry for all the off-topic, I will stop.
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:You said so yourself in your vid that you can't sharpen, that's a good reason not to use your knife except for making paper slicing vids. You put your foot in your mouth by claiming something that you can't back up. There's your reason.

Go on, just continue fooling yourself because you're not fooling anybody else.

Elvis has left the building.