Tuff not so Tuff...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The Mastiff wrote:You really come here just to troll?

Joe
What else do you do when you run out of Halloween candy?
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

Evil D wrote:LOL man i love a good troll.

Personally I LOVE spending ~$260 on a knife just to throw it in the trash because i'm too much of a tard to send it in to the maker to see what the problem was with it!
Actually i can understand the OP's hesitation of sending something in for warranty. I have had very bad results with warranty issues throughout my life. Now i must clarify that this is around ALL aspects of warranty, not Spyderco specifically. I have actually never had to deal with Spyderco on a warranty issue. Anytime i hear someone say "just send XYZ in for warranty", i immediately assume the product is never going to work correctly again. I know this isn't fair to bucket Spyderco into this bracket. I am merely speaking on my life's experiences that has led me to have this prejudice.

JD
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

JudasD wrote:Actually i can understand the OP's hesitation of sending something in for warranty. I have had very bad results with warranty issues throughout my life. Now i must clarify that this is around ALL aspects of warranty, not Spyderco specifically. I have actually never had to deal with Spyderco on a warranty issue. Anytime i hear someone say "just send XYZ in for warranty", i immediately assume the product is never going to work correctly again. I know this isn't fair to bucket Spyderco into this bracket. I am merely speaking on my life's experiences that has led me to have this prejudice.

JD
Yea but if the knife is already broken how much more broken can it get?

"OMG, the lock still doesn't work AND it came back with broken glass in the box!"

I think people don't send in knives because they don't want to go without them. That or they want a ton of attention. Seemingly, the combination of both is almost too good to pass up. I sent in my Dodo sprint (lock wasn't disengaging) and 3 weeks later I got a brand new knife that was actually smoother because they fixed the lock but couldn't fix the "clicking noise".

If the maker and president of the company begged me I would send it UPS with birthday ribbons around it. It's just respect at that point.
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

mark408 wrote:Thru it in the garbage...that's what i dio with junk.
Totally hear you Bro. When my truck wouldn't start, I loaded it on a flatbed and dumped it off a cliff into the ocean, cuz that's what you do with junk...

On a side note, what does the letter "E" on your gas gauge mean?
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Until a knife shows up in Golden, honestly these posts are just fiction or worse. :spyder:
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

JNewell wrote:Until a knife shows up in Golden, honestly these posts are just fiction or worse. :spyder:
Agreed.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JudasD wrote:Actually i can understand the OP's hesitation of sending something in for warranty. I have had very bad results with warranty issues throughout my life. Now i must clarify that this is around ALL aspects of warranty, not Spyderco specifically. I have actually never had to deal with Spyderco on a warranty issue. Anytime i hear someone say "just send XYZ in for warranty", i immediately assume the product is never going to work correctly again. I know this isn't fair to bucket Spyderco into this bracket. I am merely speaking on my life's experiences that has led me to have this prejudice.

JD
Not to be argumentative, but really i've had the absolute opposite experience with warranties. Maybe i buy from more reputable companies than you, i dunno. When i buy car parts i get a lifetime warranty on most of the things i buy. If/when they go bad, i take the part back to the store and they replace it free of charge and all i'm out is my own labor swapping the part out.

The Tuff is a new model that could very well have a flaw. If a person is gonna make a thread complaining that the knife is flawed, then you owe it to the company to let them make it right or why complain at all? I could understand if this was a refrigerator that you had to go through a crazy ordeal to ship back to the manufacturer, but we're talking about a half pound knife that might cost $5 to ship, which gets reimbursed if the problem is on their end.

Regardless, i wouldn't spend this kind of money on a knife that's designed and even named to be used for tough work just to have it fail on me under reasonable use, and then when the owner of the company tells me he'd like to see the knife and evaluate the problem, i just decide to say screw it and walk away from the issue. When that happens, i tend to feel like there's some untruth being told somewhere.

Like Blerv said, it can't get any worse than broken can it? Who knows they may send him a brand new knife to replace it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
mark408

Post by mark408 »

Evil D wrote:LOL man i love a good troll.

Personally I LOVE spending ~$260 on a knife just to throw it in the trash because i'm too much of a tard to send it in to the maker to see what the problem was with it!
Seriously, I did throw one in the garbage.

I was sent 2 of these knives from different friends to check out as I thought they were cool looking...at first i didn't want anything to do with them because they were offshore.

I took one apart and played with it for a while and thought it had flaws in the design. :)

I got that one working smoother but it still was not something i was happy with so I sold it.

I was wiping down the other one day while talking on the phone and i had a MF rag laying on the table and I spine wacked the blade very lightly a couple times on the rag and it blew past the lock...i said WTF and did it several more times with the same results.

I had some pm's with Ed about the first knife and he gave me honest replies about his opinions on my comments.

I made a couple attempts to contact Sal and never received a reply from him.....Thats why I threw it away, usually if i don't like a knife i will just give it to a kid, but not this knife because i didn't want to see someone get hurt with it.

I just donated a bunch of knives to the BSOA and have donated guns as well.

I'm not trolling....I just popped in here to do some reading and caught this thread and posted my experiance, now if a few of you wanna gimme a hard time and call me names for speaking the truth thats cool...enjoy you TUFFS they are cool to look at.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

A wiser person would have sent it back to Spyderco, regardless of contacting Sal or not (besides you're supposed to go through customer service anyway, i'm sure Sal is a busy man) and perhaps showed them this flaw in the design that you found, and maybe save some future user from sharing the same frustration. It was useless to you but i'm sure it would've been useful to Spyderco's QC department, and you probably would've gotten a replacement if it was that serious, which you could have then sold and walked away from it guilt free knowing you didn't sell an unsafe knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
sal

Post by sal »

Still haven't received the knife. CS is aware of it as is everyone involved. Can't do much or even say much until we see the knife. Shouldn't be that difficult. If our customers have a problem, we try to solve them.

Hey Mark,

Welcome to the Spyderco forum.

Sorry for your negative experience. Customer Service is usually available. I'm not that hard to reach either. We usually respond favorably for the customer when there is a lock defeat. We also like to see the knife to determine possible causes.

sal
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I
'm not trolling....I just popped in here to do some reading and caught this thread and posted my experiance, now if a few of you wanna gimme a hard time and call me names for speaking the truth thats cool...enjoy you TUFFS they are cool to look at.
I remember you from BF.

Yes, you are trolling.

I took one apart and played with it for a while and thought it had flaws in the design.
I was wiping down the other one day while talking on the phone and i had a MF rag laying on the table and I spine wacked the blade very lightly a couple times on the rag and it blew past the lock...i said WTF and did it several more times with the same results
And I believe you too. :rolleyes: Spine whacking on a rag defeated the lock, you couldn't get a hold of Sal personally so you threw away a $260 knife.

I'm sure you have lots of valuable experiences to share with our community here.

heh!

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Onionman

Post by Onionman »

As a Tuff owner, I am following this thread closely and hope that if there is a "defective" Tuff, that it be sent in to Spyderco for inspection.

However, I do notice that, for the most part, the people on this forum who complain the most always seem to refuse to produce any real evidence on the forum or directly to Spyderco to support it (the Nilakka being the only exception that comes to mind).
The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Wow, I haven't checked this thread in a while, and it has gotten weird.

I've had to have warranty work done many times (mostly for guns). With one rare exception, I've had nothing but positive results. Anything can fail, if it does, just send it in and get it fixed or replaced. That's what CS and W&R departments are for. :confused:
:bug-red-white
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

It's sad to see a potentially informative thread devolve. If accounts of the OP's lock failure were accurate and valid I would have thought Spyderco would currently have the knife and be evaluating it. Seeing as how this has not happened I have no choice but to dispute the claim made in the original post.

After 11+ pages and 3 weeks this thread has become nothing more than troll food. Sad when folks seek only to disrupt :(

Lesson: DCdesign's way of complaining about a lock failure on what is being promoted as a hard use tool is both uninformative and unconstuctive. We don't know if it actually happened :eek: It serves only those who wish to disrupt online conversation, challenging as it can be already, for their own perverse pleasure.
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Here's the thing about these two claims...tell me if they pass the credibility test?

You buy a knife for something in the $250-275 range.

It breaks.

You don't send it back for warranty service and/or you throw it in the trash.

C'mon, really??? Was I born yesterday??? :rolleyes:
dbcad wrote:It's sad to see a potentially informative thread devolve. If accounts of the OP's lock failure were accurate and valid I would have thought Spyderco would currently have the knife and be evaluating it. Seeing as how this has not happened I have no choice but to dispute the claim made in the original post.

After 11+ pages and 3 weeks this thread has become nothing more than troll food. Sad when folks seek only to disrupt :(

Lesson: DCdesign's way of complaining about a lock failure on what is being promoted as a hard use tool is both uninformative and unconstuctive. We don't know if it actually happened :eek: It serves only those who wish to disrupt online conversation, challenging as it can be already, for their own perverse pleasure.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

This thread is the sequel.
JCP1969

Dcdesigns?

Post by JCP1969 »

Has the knife been sent? Can we finish what you started?

I honestly thought the knife would have been sent immediately.

James
I believe in safe queens , they do exist!
Jet B

Post by Jet B »

I have never had a reason to spine whack my Tuff because I just didn't buy the knife to pound nails...

However, I have noticed some mild lock rock when grasping the blade firmly and putting pressure on the lock in the direction of closing. (I have experienced similar rock on liner locks from other expensive brands so I know it's a negative aspect of the design itself.)

After seeing this thread pop up again, I decided to have another look at my Tuff. I grasped it in a safe manner to keep my fingers out of the path of the closing blade and just pressed the blade into a wood shelf firmly but carefully. The lock did just fail and allowed the blade to close. Of course I didn't measure the force, but it definitely wasn't a huge amount. After seeing that happen, I will definitely never use this knife for any kind of stabbing motion. (Not that I was really planning to anyway.)

*This little experience just put my Para 2 back in my pocket... Have to love the Comp lock.

And don't take this the wrong way. I'm only mentioning it because if there is a problem with the design or materials I want Spyderco to know. I'm a big fan of their company and in the Tuff in general.

Is it possible that the CPM 3V and the steel used in the lockbar insert just have an unusually low friction together which allows the lock face to move across the tang too easy? I'm not sure if there is a problem with the titanium lock bar. It still has pressure, but it has become noticeably easier to open and close the blade since it was new. Very quick break in really, for the amount of use the knife has seen considering how tight it was when new.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

If a light squeeze allows for the lock to be defeated on a model that is designed to be robust I would say that is a problem. Obviously if the Para2 went back in your pocket you on some level agree.

I would send it in for Spyderco to take a look. You might be the only one with a "defeated Tuff" that will at this point...
Jet B

Post by Jet B »

Blerv wrote:If a light squeeze allows for the lock to be defeated on a model that is designed to be robust I would say that is a problem. Obviously if the Para2 went back in your pocket you on some level agree.

I would send it in for Spyderco to take a look. You might be the only one with a "defeated Tuff" that will at this point...

Yeah, maybe I should send it in so they can have a look to see if anything is wrong. It's not really a type of force I would usually put on a locking knife, but it could definitely happen with a "hard use" folder if the blade was stuck in some wood and wiggled it to get it out (just like the OP did). It sure made me feel more comfortable with something like a compression lock if I was planning to do some rough work with the knife. Strange feeling for me, since I always thought an overbuilt frame-lock was very reliable.