Tuff not so Tuff...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Annnnnnnd scene.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
xavierdoc

Post by xavierdoc »

As much as I enjoy these brief flirtations off topic...

Back to the Tuff! I value the OP sharing his experience. Arguably, he could have ducked some flak by avoiding comments about "not living up to the hype". Such comments invite defensive responses from Spydie fans.

My own Tuff seems to be holding up well to similar use described by the OP. I'm very happy with it, although I have reground the tip as it was so thick behind the edge that sharpening was impossible. It's still a rugged tip but now it's sharp, too!

With respect to the lock "failure", I am keeping a close eye on the steel lockbar insert. I welcomed this feature as it should reduce rate of wear at the tang-to-lockbar interface and it opens the possibility of replacement/renewal that is difficult with a Reeve-style integral lock.

However, it is a possible point of failure if the insert loosens, or was not fully seated at assembly (dirt behind the plate, burred edge, etc.) or perhaps in the OPs case it was simply out of spec?

Someone mentioned that this knife should have had an arrangement to prevent overextension of the lock bar. IT DOES! The steel lockbar insert extends beyond the lock bar into a recess on the inner surface of the non-locking portion of the scale. This simple and elegant design protects the lock bar hinge.

Anyway, if I notice any issues with the lock bar insert loosening or other issues , I'll post about it, as well as contacting Spyderco. I hope others will post objective experiences about Spyderco knives without fear of being trampled; shiny footprints are no good if they're across your back!
UKPK G10, UKPK Ti, Para 2CF&20CP, Stretch CF, Stretch CF conv, Manix2 M4,Endura Wave, Endura ZDP189, Pacific Salt, Captain, Gunting S30v, P'Kal, Gayle Bradley,Atlantic Salt, Spyderhawk, Crossbill, Wings slipit
Mules: CTSBD1, Super Blue, S90V, VG10, S35VN, Cos-3, M390 Fixed: Bushcraft, Warrior
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Well said!
Fdrotary

Post by Fdrotary »

Although not a Spyderco, I have an XM-18 that had a similar easy failure using a RIL style lock. I can re-create it easy and it seems I was doing something very similar to the OP. Given that the XM-18 is suppose to be a tank I posted this failure on there thread on BF and got attacked almost the same way... I no longer post there and I am selling my XM to fund my spyderco addiction. I will just never buy another frame lock. To me, since the design requires the lock to be wedge shaped and a spring it is just asking for failure when the wedge gets pushed out by pressure on the lock from the tang (if that makes sense). I could be wrong but I think the lock got popular because of it's simplicity, not it's strength.
BAL

Post by BAL »

A couple quick comments after reading thru the entire thread.

DC - Thanks for posting your experiences with the Tuff.

Cliff Stamp - Thanks for being part of the Spyderco Forum, I always appreciate
reading your posts, you have great knowledge and share it.

Chuck - Luv ya man.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

BAL wrote:A couple quick comments after reading thru the entire thread.

DC - Thanks for posting your experiences with the Tuff.
Plus 1
BAL wrote:Cliff Stamp - Thanks for being part of the Spyderco Forum, I always appreciate
reading your posts, you have great knowledge and share it.
Plus 1
BAL wrote:Chuck - Luv ya man.
;)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Poor DC. One could argue the delivery of the thread wasn't perfect (nobody is), but I don't think he deserved a 5 page herp derp about a door batoning non Spydie.
thelock

Post by thelock »

DC will be glad he still has his fingers attached to his hand :) abuse or not abuse of the knife, at the end of the day that is the most important thing.
:spyder: Paramilitary 2
:spyder: Bob Lum Tanto Sprint
:spyder: Anso Zulu
:spyder: Szabo Folder
:spyder: Delica ZDP-189
:spyder: SS Kiwi
:spyder: SS Bug set
xavierdoc

Post by xavierdoc »

thelock wrote:DC will be glad he still has his fingers attached to his hand :) abuse or not abuse of the knife, at the end of the day that is the most important thing.
He could still type with the other hand ;)
UKPK G10, UKPK Ti, Para 2CF&20CP, Stretch CF, Stretch CF conv, Manix2 M4,Endura Wave, Endura ZDP189, Pacific Salt, Captain, Gunting S30v, P'Kal, Gayle Bradley,Atlantic Salt, Spyderhawk, Crossbill, Wings slipit
Mules: CTSBD1, Super Blue, S90V, VG10, S35VN, Cos-3, M390 Fixed: Bushcraft, Warrior
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

Ankerson wrote:Sounds like it got out of spec so it's best to send it in.
Looks to me like what needed to said was already done on page 1.

DcD, good luck with getting it fixed and thanks for sharing.
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
speedcut

Post by speedcut »

One have to admitt that in this circumstances the most hated choil on the Tuff courtensy of Mr. Schempp of course DID IT S JOB..... :)
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

DC is one of us and should be given the respect we would want extended to ourselves. On the same note I believe that since this is a new design and there aren't really many complaints along the lines of what DC is referring to Sal and Ed and Spyderco should be given the opportunity to look at the knife in question if for no other reason than to figure out what is happening, if it can happen again, and if there is a problem requiring correction involving more than just DC's knife.

DC, if money is a problem getting it shipped I will gladly send you a few dollars to help get it in to look at it. It should be followed up if nothing else than out of respect for Sal, Ed, Spyderco, and all of us buyers of the Tuff.

DC, I shouldn't even ask as I know better but did you make any adjustments attempting to get it to open easier when you were having troubles with it being tight?

No offense, just had to ask. :)

Mine is still essentially new so I can't comment on it. I have ZDP enduras I've worked much harder so my experience is lacking other than being able to comment about fit and finish on mine, which is superlative. Amazing knife!

Thanks,

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

DC, did you give the knife a proper check with a magnifier and light? I would look at the pivot area as well. Sorry to read about your Tuff. I hope you find a good solution.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

The Mastiff wrote:DC is one of us and should be given the respect we would want extended to ourselves. On the same note I believe that since this is a new design and there aren't really many complaints along the lines of what DC is referring to Sal and Ed and Spyderco should be given the opportunity to look at the knife in question if for no other reason than to figure out what is happening, if it can happen again, and if there is a problem requiring correction involving more than just DC's knife.

DC, if money is a problem getting it shipped I will gladly send you a few dollars to help get it in to look at it. It should be followed up if nothing else than out of respect for Sal, Ed, Spyderco, and all of us buyers of the Tuff.

DC, I shouldn't even ask as I know better but did you make any adjustments attempting to get it to open easier when you were having troubles with it being tight?

No offense, just had to ask. :)

Mine is still essentially new so I can't comment on it. I have ZDP enduras I've worked much harder so my experience is lacking other than being able to comment about fit and finish on mine, which is superlative. Amazing knife!

Thanks,

Joe
Joe pointed out this whole thing perfectly and acted like true gentleman with offer to send money - hat off to you for that sir!!! Really this made me feel proud of being member of this comunity.

I was not sure if I´m on right forums, when reading those comments. Where is respect to other members? DC has alot of posts on him and he is member for some time. His info about fail was written in good way. Spyderco team will take care of this for sure, without critics and testing would by spyderco just other knife brand. But they listen to critics, to users and try to improve knives according those people. That´s why I love spyderco. What I don´t like are spydie fanaticfanboys appearing lately or at least fanatism about brand. Few years ago guys here would act like gents and not this negative.
“There's no friends like the old friends.” James Joyce, Dubliners
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Yikes, look what got started here! Can't we all just get along? Anywhoo, here are my thoughts, for what they're worth ( - $.02):

1. Perhaps the inherent problem with large, "built like a tank," "hard-use" folders is that they're still "just" folders, not fixed blades, with most of the limitations of their smaller brethern. This is no comment on the OP or how he used his Tuff, I have no opinion on that.

2. Evil D, that well-used Millie is a beautiful thing!

3. Holy Mother of God, that Wildsteer scares the crap out of me! Looks like it could lop off your arm without half trying! Think I'll stick to my D'fly!

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

I will not buy the wildsteer WX. Too many moving parts and that handle does not seem user friendly. They could have slapped on some G10. I am however going ga ga over their fixed blade. What a beauty.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

KardinalSyn wrote:I will not buy the wildsteer WX. Too many moving parts and that handle does not seem user friendly. They could have slapped on some G10. I am however going ga ga over their fixed blade. What a beauty.
Too manly for me! Nah, those fixed blades DO look great. If I had a use for one, I'd be all over it.

T
Cliff Stamp

Post by Cliff Stamp »

w3tnz wrote:
With no pictures and you jumping the gun before Spyderco have had a chance to inspect it and rule out abuse, user error etc this thread seems absolutely pointless.
He is providing feedback, if it had been positive would there have been a reaction, a demand for "proof" - no. This shows a clear bias and an obvious problem which tends to promote disinformation. The guy had a problem, he didn't rant and attack the maker, or designer or even the knife.

He bought an expensive knife, he used it in a manner that a $5 knife can handle and his expensive knife failed. He deserved to be upset and there is no reason to excuse the behavior of the knife or support people who attempt to silence such information.

I have never, not one time, in over 15 years of interacting with Spyderco about their products, been asked not to discuss my experiences on any knife forum. In fact it is promotion of open discourse, among other things, which always leads me back to Spyderco even if at any given moment there isn't a design which catches my eye.
Ed Schempp

Post by Ed Schempp »

Minibear453 wrote:More like "the itsy bitsy spyder.... cut up the water spout..." :P
Thanks for posting your problem, I'd really like to look at the knife. I'll be Golden the end of the month, Sal and I can evaluate the piece. This an an expensive knife and I share your disappointment and concern.

In design and manufacture we tried to optimize or increase the strength of the knife and lock in every place that we thought we could make it stronger. The manufacturer has impressed me with his precision and consistantcy. I believe the development of this knife was progressive over its 7 year gestation. I'd really like to look at the knife, please send it to Golden...Take Care...Ed
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

Now I ask you, where else you gonna get customer service like ^^^^^?!

Tod