Tuff not so Tuff...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
speedcut

Post by speedcut »

Lmao....
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

The Mastiff wrote:I have a NIB SMF 3V GG that I had up on another forum for sale because I believe the Tuff to be the stronger and better built of the two.

I didn't get anything but two cancellations on the SMF so I pulled it.

I still stand by my decision and will be keeping the Tuff ( Please note* This really isn't a sleazy attempt to sell a knife. I don't do subtle stuff and come out with what I mean. In addition I have more respect for Sal and Kristi as people to do that here. ) Anyway, I broke it, dissolved it in acid accidentally, Messed it up trying to pimp it, then got mad and hit it with a very, very large hammer. So, if anybody wants a 3V SMF for $3000.99 plus shipping with the above defects, don't call here. :o

Joe
That's the most enjoyable bit of writing I read all day today. :D
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
jeff_C

Post by jeff_C »

The other day I was using my Endura to pry out nails from some old timber. Earlier in the day I used it to jack up my pickup truck and then it just failed... POS!... LOL

Just kidding. :) I agree that the forum should allow for... and have... both + and - comments and considerations. Its just too easy to have a strictly "fan boy" site.

Sorry your knife failed. I usually us a small machete or hatchet for limbing.
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:So why don't you move on? There's still a discussion going on, if you don't care to participate.
Hey, Chuck, sorry to upset you. I always try to leave respectful posts and be mindful of how easily an offhand commment can be misinterpreted on a forum such as this one, but sometimes my smart-alek sense of humor gets the best of me, hence my smiley face at the end of my comment. Anyway, it's a discussion forum, so discuss already, right?

Peace out, Spydie forumites, tr4022 loves ya!

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
sal

Post by sal »

Quite a thread. Sorry. but I've only read tidbits and won't have time to sift through all of it until I get home.

Has the knife been sent to us for inpsection?

sal
00max00

Post by 00max00 »

mattman wrote:Whoa, another case of spewing negativity in public, before giving anyone with authority the chance to inspect the knife, and determine whether it was defective or not.
So you have to be a rocket scientist to figure out whether a knife is defective or not? I think the OP has explained himself very clear. You sounds like having problem with transparency? I wish more open discussions on this forum. It disgusts me every time I see a post like this.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

00max00 wrote:So you have to be a rocket scientist to figure out whether a knife is defective or not? I think the OP has explained himself very clear. You sounds like having problem with transparency? I wish more open discussions on this forum. It disgusts me every time I see a post like this.
That was way back on page 1. Long before this thread got bad :) .
sal

Post by sal »

We still need to inspect the knife to determine potential problems. This is a new design with many new features. If there is something that we need to refine, we'll need to study the problem.

sal
Jet B

Post by Jet B »

sal wrote:We still need to inspect the knife to determine potential problems. This is a new design with many new features. If there is something that we need to refine, we'll need to study the problem.

sal
I look forward to the conclusion as to why his Tuff failed. I have used mine to do tasks similar to DC's, but not to any great extent. My lockup still seems to be secure. One thing to note is that after break in, my Tuff is much easier to open than it was out of the box. I just assumed that such a quick break in period was okay, hopefully there wasn't any issues with the titanium in some lock bars.

Cheers.
markg

Post by markg »

I recently got a Tuff in a trade. I really like it. When you show it to people it makes them giggle (no lie).

I have noted over the years that folks that actually make knives all have pretty much one thing to say "folding knives locks can fail, use accordingly..."
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

markg wrote:I recently got a Tuff in a trade. I really like it. When you show it to people it makes them giggle (no lie).

I have noted over the years that folks that actually make knives all have pretty much one thing to say "folding knives locks can fail, use accordingly..."

The Tuff was made for harder use so some abuse would be somewhat normal and expected for a knife of this type, however sometimes things just happen so we will have to wait until Sal and Ed have a chance to go over the knife to see what happened to it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ankerson wrote:The Tuff was made for harder use so some abuse would be somewhat normal and expected for a knife of this type, however sometimes things just happen so we will have to wait until Sal and Ed have a chance to go over the knife to see what happened to it.
Do you plan on buying one to put through its paces? I'd like to see your video on that if you do.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Evil D wrote:Do you plan on buying one to put through its paces? I'd like to see your video on that if you do.

I don't do that kind of abusive testing on folders anymore for various reasons...
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Ankerson wrote:The Tuff was made for harder use so some abuse would be somewhat normal and expected for a knife of this type, however sometimes things just happen so we will have to wait until Sal and Ed have a chance to go over the knife to see what happened to it.
+1
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

I've owned over 3 dozen Spyderco knives and only one was out of spec. They replaced it no questions asked. I didn't post it on the forum as I had all the confidence they would make it right and they did.
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

Leatherneck wrote:I've owned over 3 dozen Spyderco knives and only one was out of spec. They replaced it no questions asked. I didn't post it on the forum as I had all the confidence they would make it right and they did.
I don't mind hearing about a problem with a Spyderco product since if there is an issue I may use that information to hold off on a purchase.

It would be nice if someone did what leatherneck did and sent it back first , but then come post what happened. The bad and the good.

James
I believe in safe queens , they do exist!
STWesterner

Post by STWesterner »

I'd say don't use a folder for chopping wrong tool and might void the warranty...
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

The Tuff feels and looks as if it belongs in some Sci-Fi movie like Predator or Riddik. All it needs is some alien runes on that blade :D
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
jossta

Post by jossta »

STWesterner wrote:I'd say don't use a folder for chopping wrong tool and might void the warranty...
If the Tuff is that wrong of a tool to be using for chopping off a couple of relatively small branches than that's fine, but it should probably get different name.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Ed Schempp wrote:Thanks for posting your problem, I'd really like to look at the knife. I'll be Golden the end of the month, Sal and I can evaluate the piece. This an an expensive knife and I share your disappointment and concern.

In design and manufacture we tried to optimize or increase the strength of the knife and lock in every place that we thought we could make it stronger. The manufacturer has impressed me with his precision and consistantcy. I believe the development of this knife was progressive over its 7 year gestation. I'd really like to look at the knife, please send it to Golden...Take Care...Ed
sal wrote:We still need to inspect the knife to determine potential problems. This is a new design with many new features. If there is something that we need to refine, we'll need to study the problem.

sal

Just bumping these again.