Possibility of Multi-Bladed Spyder?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Possibility of Multi-Bladed Spyder?

Post by JD Spydo »

For those of you who know me it goes without saying that the C-44 Dyad is one of my all time favorite Spyders ever made. I still use mine from time to time and wish there was another one in the pipeline. And I do hope above all possibilties of Sprint runs that a new C-44 might be in the pipeline.

Albeit I'm not necessarily only stuck on a new Dyad per se if they could come out with some sort of a multi-bladed Spyderco folder. The Dyad concept with H-1 steel and maybe a marlinspike that opens out on the back side. Or maybe a full length Spyder similar to the Military that has a big plain edged blade with an SE Hawkbill blade on the other side.

Or another possibility would be a full length Spyder with simply a smaller blade that opens out on the other end>> that way you always have a sharp blade on hand. Or maybe even a Spyder that might be built somewhat like a Swiss Army knife with other tools on it.

For those of you who like this idea tell us what you would like to see.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
CombatGrappler

Post by CombatGrappler »

JD, I love the Dyad design. The only thing I'm missing from my collection is the black pearl Micro. That being said, not everyone is as passionate about the design as we are. From what I have read from Sal's posts, the sales numbers just weren't there.

I've been thinking about it and I was thinking that maybe a slipit with both blades on the same end would go over better, especially if the price could be kept down. I used to think nothing of dropping $150+ on a new Spydie, but those days are long gone.

I'd like to see some variations on the overall Dyad pattern, not just the materials.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I have not owned one but REALLY dig the concept and look behind the Benchmade 921 Switchback. Granted the Spyderco spin on it would have a slight bulge due to the opening hole something small (a slipjoint) with a cosmetic hole would be cool.

Oh yea, and clip please. :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Blerv wrote:I have not owned one but REALLY dig the concept and look behind the Benchmade 921 Switchback. Granted the Spyderco spin on it would have a slight bulge due to the opening hole something small (a slipjoint) with a cosmetic hole would be cool.

Oh yea, and clip please. :)
I've had a couple of the BM Switchback models>> I did like them but the second blade on them was just a bit too short for my liking. The knife was very much a quality built blade all the way around. When I traded them away I had a lot of people wanting those too. It was a well made knife to be sure but I don't want to see Spyderco replicate that model at all. I think they could do much better than that. As much as I hate to say it if Benchmade ever came up with a double bladed knife even similar to the C-44 Dyad I would be all over it. Would I rather have something made by the Great Spyder Factory??>>> ABSOLUTELY that's why I did this thread hoping to generate some enthusiasm on the subject.

It is so great to have a full sized plain edged blade along with a great full sized Spyderedged blade>> it is truly one of the handiest knives I've ever owned. The only other solution is just to carry 2 folders. Which is not a bad thing because I usually carry 2 to 3 EDC Spyders daily anyway but it sure is nice to have it all in one package.
Manix Guy 2

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

I feel your pain Joe , but sadly I do not have much hope in the sprint run of the C44 . I would like to see another double blade in the Spyderco line up some day with a fresh look . The Dyad had pros and cons with users and then there was the cost factor and then a copy cat . Just be glad that you have an original like me and we will continue to cross our fingers . Regards MG2
JD Spydo

Never give up, it will happen one day

Post by JD Spydo »

Manix Guy 2 wrote:I feel your pain Joe , but sadly I do not have much hope in the sprint run of the C44 . I would like to see another double blade in the Spyderco line up some day with a fresh look . The Dyad had pros and cons with users and then there was the cost factor and then a copy cat . Just be glad that you have an original like me and we will continue to cross our fingers . Regards MG2
Greetings Manix Guy and good to hear from you :) I just know that there are many more Spyderheads that love the Dyad and the concept of the Dyad as well. I think many of them have just given up hope that we'll ever see another double bladed or multi-bladed Spyder.

I'm still holding out hope that the idea of an H-1 Salt Dyad might still be a possibility because many in the fishing and seafaring occupations used to really talk highly of the Dyad ( especially the big C-44 model).

I still think a Hawkbill Dyad would be just the coolest idea. Also a Dyad type Salt Series folder with a marlinspike would be a very good folder all the way. There are so many like myself who have many uses for plain edged and Spyderedges that it will be back by popular demand sooner or later.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

CombatGrappler wrote:I used to think nothing of dropping $150+ on a new Spydie, but those days are long gone.
I feel you there, brother. But while money isn't as free as it was back in my working days, I'm also to the point (I have to admit to being very blessed with multiple nice knives) where a knife has to be on the "special" side for me to be interested in it. A Super Blue 2 blade in a nice wood would be lovely.

I don't need all the SAK multi-tool thing, just a nice classy clip/sheeps foot combo (or similar)

Ken
玉鋼
FrankH

Post by FrankH »

The David Boye marlinspike would work perfectly on the Salt 1 and larger Salts.
** Endura 1 SE G2, Delica 1 CE G2, Co-Pilot SE Almite G2, Bob Terzuola Jr CE ATS-34, Rescue Jr SE ATS-55, Caly 3 PE VG-10 G10, Lady Bug II SE AUS-6, Delica 4 PE VG-10, Endura 4 CE Vg-10, Lady Bug 3 PE VG-10, Cricket SE VG-10, Salt 1 PE H1, Dragonfly 2 PE VG-10, UK Penknife PE CTS BD1 **
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Concept =
Take 2 Millitaries & duct tape them together.
One being an SE & the other a PE.
One with a left liner lock & the other a right.
Both blades come out the same end.
Now build this into one knife. Two handle slabs, one clip, one pivot, two blades & locks.
Yeah, I know. It's too expensive. It's too bulky in hand. It's not lefty freindly (only 50%).
O.
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

I'd LOVE to see a multi-bladed model in H-1 steel as well. My Salt 1 has been with me at the beach all week and I think a Salt Dyad would be the only thing imaginable to replace it.

I've been acquiring so some very suburban friendly knives of late, like the Techno, Navigator, and Damascus Caly. Not that they couldnt handle it, but none will come with me to the salt and sand. I "need" a good knife that I don't care if the handle gets scuffed, or if it goes surf fishing with me. A Salt Dyad would certainly give me my "fix" and get lots of use!
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stewart Mill
ChaoticLuck

Post by ChaoticLuck »

vaisforlovers wrote:I'd LOVE to see a multi-bladed model in H-1 steel as well. My Salt 1 has been with me at the beach all week and I think a Salt Dyad would be the only thing imaginable to replace it.

I've been acquiring so some very suburban friendly knives of late, like the Techno, Navigator, and Damascus Caly. Not that they couldnt handle it, but none will come with me to the salt and sand. I "need" a good knife that I don't care if the handle gets scuffed, or if it goes surf fishing with me. A Salt Dyad would certainly give me my "fix" and get lots of use!
Count me in only if it comes in black, not partial to yellow.
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

There was talk of a Swiss Army like Spyderco, even made some prototypes I believe. But....alas no pics of it on the forums.
CombatGrappler

Post by CombatGrappler »

kbuzbee wrote:I feel you there, brother. But while money isn't as free as it was back in my working days, I'm also to the point (I have to admit to being very blessed with multiple nice knives) where a knife has to be on the "special" side for me to be interested in it. A Super Blue 2 blade in a nice wood would be lovely.

I don't need all the SAK multi-tool thing, just a nice classy clip/sheeps foot combo (or similar)

Ken
Yep, the second kiddo coming along dried up my spare change pretty quick!

I don't care for the full bore Swiss Army idea, but a dressed up Dyad would be pretty sweet. I'm thinking Desert Ironwood.

I also like the idea of a Dyad Salt. Having a marlinspike on one side would be handy and eliminate at least half of the problem with the unused blade digging into the user's hand when gripping tightly.
JD Spydo

H-1 Dyad and Military Dyad: You're pick?

Post by JD Spydo »

O,just,O wrote:Concept =
Take 2 Millitaries & duct tape them together.
One being an SE & the other a PE.
One with a left liner lock & the other a right.
Both blades come out the same end.
Now build this into one knife. Two handle slabs, one clip, one pivot, two blades & locks.
Yeah, I know. It's too expensive. It's too bulky in hand. It's not lefty freindly (only 50%).
O.
Well "O" I think you've really outdone yourself on this one :cool: I had never even thought of or even fantasized such a thing as a MILITARY-Dyad :eek: :cool:

That would truly be a Crocidile ( and a saltwater Croc at that) of a folder. A Dyad with 2 Military blades would be so awesome :cool:

I personally wouldn't even care about the expense factor. I would pick up 10,000 pop-beer cans to pull that one off if I had too :D

On the other hand I knew I wasn't alone in wanting to see a Dyad in the H-1 Salt Series. It just makes excellent sense. The Dyad concept is so good it will eventually show up again.

So if you all had to pick between an H-1 Dyad or a Military Dyad which would you all want????
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I am not interested in multi-bladed knives, especially Spydies. If I need two different blades, I would rather carry two different knives. But for now VG10 or S35N PE work just fine for my needs.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
mikeh99

Post by mikeh99 »

I'd go for a left handed Dyad in an instant.
Mike
JD Spydo

Nothing wrong with 2 different Spyders with 2 different edges

Post by JD Spydo »

bh49 wrote:I am not interested in multi-bladed knives, especially Spydies. If I need two different blades, I would rather carry two different knives. But for now VG10 or S35N PE work just fine for my needs.
And I know you're not alone with that opinion Brother :) I do just what you're saying most of the time. I most always have a full Spyderedged Hawkbill of some sort with me whenever I carry one of my Spyderco PE EDCs>> The Ayoob and a Harpy are truly a dynamic duo >> So is the Military with a full SE Spyderhawk.

But I'm also in the camp that likes it in one folder when it's feasible. The original C-44 Dyad was truly a work of genius like many other Spyderco "one of a kind" products. No one else matches the genius in their sharpening equipment either.

But there is something to be said for having 2 different Spyderco blades with 2 different edges. I'll never argue against it nor will I oppose those that prefer it that way. But that's what I love about Spyderco they have something that fills everyone's needs.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Just a guess, but given the number of other older models that have been revived as Sprints, I would think a C44 Sprint would not be out of the question. But, the trick might be to keep it as close to the original as possible. Sal seems reluctant to use Micarta, and ATS-55 has fallen out of favor, but I imagine that smooth G-10 with VG-10 blades would probably be feasible. H-1 would probably require too many other changes like the blade grind on the PE blade and rustproof steel components and ZDP-189 would probably be out, since Sal has mentioned that it's not a good steel for serrations.

I suspect the odds of seeing a new multi-blade much lower, but I've been wrong before.

My own interest is fairly low, Dyads are not the easiest Spydercos to open left handed, especially the PE blade, Plus, in the nine and a half years I've been carrying Spydercos my EDCs have all been plain edge and I cannot recall one single occasion that I wished I had a serrated blade with me.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

The C-44 Dyad is definitely on the top of my list,and I do agree with Deacon that the G-10 and VG-10 Steel would be a great combination,I want one real bad.
JD Spydo

C-44 is tops>> Any multi-bladed Spyder would be special in my book

Post by JD Spydo »

Lord vader wrote:The C-44 Dyad is definitely on the top of my list,and I do agree with Deacon that the G-10 and VG-10 Steel would be a great combination,I want one real bad.
And the choir shouted AMEN!!! :D I do wish that Mr. Glesser would at least consider a resurrected big C-44 Dyad for a Sprint run if nothing else. And I ain't going to quit until they do eventually bring it back :D :cool:

But I'm also up for any other multi-bladed Spyder>> I think that the concept of multi bladed knives. Definitely something in the survival-outdoor sector for sure.

Yeah Lord Vader