The Spyderco Story: It's high time for a sequel or follow up book

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

The Spyderco Story: It's high time for a sequel or follow up book

Post by JD Spydo »

I know that there are a lot of newcomers here at Spyderville and many of you all are not aware of the book about Spyderco that Pallidin Press did back in the late 90s. The book was entitled "The Spyderco Story" written by Kenneth Delavigne.

I love the hardcover edition of that book that I got back in the early 2000s and with all the new models, new products I truly feel like it's high time for either a sequel to the Spyderco Story or even just a completely new book maybe even with a different format about Spyderco and their great products all together.

For those of you who are new to Spyderco collecting and are avid users of Spyderco's great blades and sharpening tools I highly encourage you to get a copy of the first book.

But more than anything I think it's high time we had a completely new book covering all of Spyderco's great products since the early 2000s. It blows my mind how few of people I meet in everyday life that have never heard of Spyderco. Something like a new Spyderco Story book would be a big boost I'm sure.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
BigBill5953

Post by BigBill5953 »

I'd buy one! But after looking on Amazon for the first, it seems a little too pricey for a book.

-Billy

Centofante 3|Brown FFG Delica 4|Persistence|Sharpmaker & UF rods|SS Kiwi|Manbug SE|Blue UKPK SE Leaf|Calypso Jr. FRN|Blue Dodo SE|Centofante 3|Grasshopper|Tan Ladybug Salt|Rookie Sprint|

bammann45 wrote:In Los Angeles we have roaming packs of carnivorous tortoises. I am glad we finally have a folder that can punch through their shells.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I would love to see a new book written :) .

In fact, while I don't know how he (or Sal) would feel about it, Paul B would be my pick for the writer or co-writer. You know, in a fantasy world where you can pick someone and bestow the responsibility of writing a huge book at the expense of all their time. ;)
jnichols2

Post by jnichols2 »

The book certainly seems interesting, but I can get a real nice knife for $160.
Ladybug, Delica x 2, Endura x 2, Military Black, Manix 2 XL, Civilian, Harpy, Caly 3.5 CF ZDP-189, Sage 1
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

A few years ago Paladin was clearing out the soft covers for $10 or so. I got a copy, but wish I would have picked up a few extras to share around with the "new guys". I think it would be great to see an updated version or, barring the ability to do that, a whole new book.

I thought Spydsrco was working on a book about the ethnic series, which I'd pick up in a heartbeat, but it's been quite a while and I wonder if the idea got shelved.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
mattman

Post by mattman »

At least release an e-version of the original, I would love to read it!
jnichols2

Post by jnichols2 »

I would pay $10 in a heartbeat.
Ladybug, Delica x 2, Endura x 2, Military Black, Manix 2 XL, Civilian, Harpy, Caly 3.5 CF ZDP-189, Sage 1
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

mattman wrote:At least release an e-version of the original, I would love to read it!
No kidding. How about a $5-10 digital download?
APS

Post by APS »

I really enjoy my original hardcover and would buy a new edition with the current models for sure.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I was lucky to buy hardcover for around $40 and would love to see sequel as well.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Coulro

Post by Coulro »

mattman wrote:At least release an e-version of the original, I would love to read it!
Agreed! Me too! Or a sequel! Or both!
Studey

Post by Studey »

bh49 wrote:I was lucky to buy hardcover for around $40 and would love to see sequel as well.
Same here.
ChaoticLuck

Post by ChaoticLuck »

I would definitely be interested in a book, but not for $160. Well, if it was signed by Mr. Sal Glesser , and came with a knife then yeah, book alone no.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

BigBill5953 wrote:I'd buy one! But after looking on Amazon for the first, it seems a little too pricey for a book.
HOLY HAWKBILL BATMAN!!! $160 for the hardcover??!!! With that kind of demand and shortage of supply you would think that Palladin would do another printing of the softcover edition at least.

But that just goes to show you how timely it would be to go ahead and do another printing of the first book and get a new one written ASAP. Just to thnk I got my hardcover version on the BAY for $22 and change when I got mine back in 02.

I have no idea how many or how few of the original hardcover edition was printed but it must have not been very many for the demand to be that strong. Spyderco is truly an American success story any entreprenuer would be highly envious of. I hope this spurs someone to get this project under way ASAP.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I'd be all over an updated one.

- best wishes, Jazz.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

I always thought it'd be interesting to have the next edition either:

A.) Crowd sourced through Kickstarter.

B.) Written, at least in part, by the end users. Many of the people that post here can take professional photographs and quite a few can write to that level as well. It's also super easy to take one model and research it to great depth. You can find designer explanations, patent drawings, and other interesting tidbits all over the forums. Organized into one tome/PDF would be an excellent resource and a worthy second edition. The only hard part of this approach would be interviewing the designers and Sal & company since their time is very valuable.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

I would like to read a sequel.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

BigBill5953 wrote:I'd buy one! But after looking on Amazon for the first, it seems a little too pricey for a book.

Can you please tell me how you saved that whole screenshot from your phone and put it here? I'm still learning with my phone. Thanks.

- best wishes, Jazz.
jhyde7585

Post by jhyde7585 »

I would thoroughly enjoy a sequel. I too had high hopes of still being able to get one at a fair price a few years ago.

If not, a download would be great too!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Jazz wrote:Can you please tell me how you saved that whole screenshot from your phone and put it here? I'm still learning with my phone. Thanks.

- best wishes, Jazz.
He's using an iPhone. To take a screenshot, you press the power and home button simultaneously. It will then save a screenshot to your photos folder and can be uploaded. If you don't have an iPhone, then the process varies depending on manufacturer.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com