PARA-MILITARY 3 (wish list)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
oneunder

PARA-MILITARY 3 (wish list)

Post by oneunder »

The PM2 will not be easy to improve. Just trying to guess if the same leap than from the original PM can be reproduced by Spyderco. What would be your requests?
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

More edge!!
On the hunt for...
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:More edge!!
Youre thinking of the military II.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
Sht

Post by Sht »

I think if they did a 3" & a 3.75" along side the current you could please just about everyone.
Gayle Bradley
Bob lum tanto sprint
Milie camo
Para2 camo
Manix2 moonglow
Tasman salt
Tenacious (the whole lineup)
Kiwi SS

Knives at all times
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I dunno, there isn't much more you can do with this knife before it becomes a different model. If much more is changed, it won't be a Paramilitary anymore. The Para 2 solved pretty much every gripe that the original Paramilitary had, and that's saying a lot because the original was a fantastic knife. Holding mine in my hand, the only thing that bothers me is the pinky bump is still slightly there when gripping behind the choil, but nothing like the original Para was (but then i don't believe that knife was ever designed to be gripped without using the choil anyway). If they tweaked the butt of the handle to move that point just 1/4 inch further back, i'd be happy. I do have big hands though so i know that might not be great for everyone. More blade/edge is a terrible idea if you ask me. If they did something like that, they may as well just make a Paramilitary XL like they did with the Manix 2 and leave the original alone. I'd be all for that though...a 4-5 inch bladed Para 2 would be insane.

All that said, i'd just assume they focus on finishing the Military 2 and leave the Para 2 the way it is.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
IceCold

Post by IceCold »

I have two PM 2 and a few things I wish could be improved.

#1. Lighter, there are small places to skeltonize the steel inserts more.
#2. Try and use if possible real Black DLC coating, its currently like a dark charcoal not really black. For the Black Blades.
#3. DLC coat the pocket clip, its scratches too easily.
#4. Try some other steels I would in a heart beat buy a CPM S3V Tool steel Para 2 or use CPM S35vn or ZDP 198 Steel.
#5. Offer a FIXED BLADE VERSION new for 2013 yes, give it more of ergo bulbous handle and make its sold CPM S30V DLC coated steel same Para 2 blade shape etc.
#6. Make a Mini Version, I use a Delica 4 Black as my EDC, smaller lighter, just make a smaller Para 2 version.

Other wise the grind is perfect the edges are great, Cuts like nothing I have seen before.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Cheddarnut wrote:Youre thinking of the military II.
Nope...I think that the massive choil takes away too much edge, and I would like to see a smaller choil, backed into the handle slightly with the palm swell made slightly less extended in order to very slightly flatten out the handle slightly and provide about 1/3 of an inch more edge.

A very unpopular viewpoint I know...but its how I would like it.
On the hunt for...
angusW

Post by angusW »

Hawkbill blade Para 2 :)

Besides that I can't think of changing too much. Maybe a tweak here and there that the people in Golden will do but nothing comes to mind. Having medium sized hands it fits like a glove. One thing I wish they would do is go back to the old clip from the Para 1 but that might be an issue with the fob hole for tip up so that's probably not doable.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
thelock

Post by thelock »

IceCold wrote:I have two PM 2 and a few things I wish could be improved.

#1. Lighter, there are small places to skeltonize the steel inserts more.
#2. Try and use if possible real Black DLC coating, its currently like a dark charcoal not really black. For the Black Blades.
#3. DLC coat the pocket clip, its scratches too easily.
#4. Try some other steels I would in a heart beat buy a CPM S3V Tool steel Para 2 or use CPM S35vn or ZDP 198 Steel.
#5. Offer a FIXED BLADE VERSION new for 2013 yes, give it more of ergo bulbous handle and make its sold CPM S30V DLC coated steel same Para 2 blade shape etc.
#6. Make a Mini Version, I use a Delica 4 Black as my EDC, smaller lighter, just make a smaller Para 2 version.

Other wise the grind is perfect the edges are great, Cuts like nothing I have seen before.
That would change the PERFECT balance of the knife, I don't know why u would want a lighter para 2, I can't even feel this one in my pocket.
I would want a deep carry black pocket clip!
:spyder: Paramilitary 2
:spyder: Bob Lum Tanto Sprint
:spyder: Anso Zulu
:spyder: Szabo Folder
:spyder: Delica ZDP-189
:spyder: SS Kiwi
:spyder: SS Bug set
OutOfTheBlue

Post by OutOfTheBlue »

I'd love to see a PM with blade length of 2.99" and below, but that's really just a selfish request on my part due to local knife laws.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Nope...I think that the massive choil takes away too much edge, and I would like to see a smaller choil, backed into the handle slightly with the palm swell made slightly less extended in order to very slightly flatten out the handle slightly and provide about 1/3 of an inch more edge.
I just measured the choil, it is about 1/3", so 1/3" of an edge more without making blade longer, will be no choil no the blade at all.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

My only problem with the Para 2 is that I can't buy one because I'm saving for the Forum knife :rolleyes:
Domanfp

Post by Domanfp »

Deep carry wire clip and a smaller version would be all I could ask for. Of course a super blue variant would be welcomed as well!
-Frank

Delica and Endura are great knives! They're the low priced crack samples that'll get you hooked on spyderco! Feed the need!
-Michael Cook
Slash

Post by Slash »

Thicker blade, Ti handles, better steel...that's about it.
ChaoticLuck

Post by ChaoticLuck »

OutOfTheBlue wrote:I'd love to see a PM with blade length of 2.99" and below, but that's really just a selfish request on my part due to local knife laws.
I'm with you on that 3" or less law. I'd love to have a knife that I've read nothing but good about and actually carry it with me where ever I go.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

ChaoticLuck wrote:I'm with you on that 3" or less law. I'd love to have a knife that I've read nothing but good about and actually carry it with me where ever I go.
PM1 is not all that different from the PM2 and it's got a 3" blade.
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

Make version 3 a Ti, ATR style compression lock! :)
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Slash wrote:Thicker blade, Ti handles, better steel...that's about it.
c.joe wrote:Make version 3 a Ti, ATR style compression lock! :)
Also, keep it being made in Golden and get the street price down to $75 or less. :spyder:
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

There is a point where it's refinement more than reinvention, the Para2 is here. Finding improvements without compromises is the tough part. I could see Ti liners but it would push the price a bit.

The price is really nice at the moment. It's just a few bucks under $100 at the cheaper dealers. IMHO that's the magic number for hooking new customers.
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Guaranteed least popular suggestion.

Take a step back and use the old PM1 style clip, right handed tip down.

Otherwise don't change a thing.