Rescue Hawkbill?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Rescue Hawkbill?

Post by JD Spydo »

One Brother's thread just inspired me. However I had thought of it a couple of years before but just wasn't sure about how it should be designed. Now I know that it would need a blunt or rounded off tip to make it safer for emergency use. I think it's high time for a Rescue type Hawkbill and I can see where it would be extremely useful for "first responders" especially. It would need to be a Hawkbill with a blunted or rounded off tip along with a combo edged blade for versatility.

Everyone's biggest complaint about using Hawkbills in emergency situations is the pointed tip which I suppose could be a problem in a stressful and hurried situation. But a "Rescue Hawkbill" just makes perfect sense when you think about it. You would have that extra leverage for slicing through seat belts and other emergency cutting chores.

It could have many of the selling points of the ASSIST like the whistle and glassbreaker along with a blade with much more cutting leverage.

I'm sure there are other possibilities you all might want to add to this idea so let's talk about it. Also it should be the size of the Spyderhawk with a blunted or rounded off tip.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

JD Spydo wrote:One Brother's thread just inspired me. However I had thought of it a couple of years before but just wasn't sure about how it should be designed. Now I know that it would need a blunt or rounded off tip to make it safer for emergency use. I think it's high time for a Rescue type Hawkbill and I can see where it would be extremely useful for "first responders" especially. It would need to be a Hawkbill with a blunted or rounded off tip along with a combo edged blade for versatility.

Everyone's biggest complaint about using Hawkbills in emergency situations is the pointed tip which I suppose could be a problem in a stressful and hurried situation. But a "Rescue Hawkbill" just makes perfect sense when you think about it. You would have that extra leverage for slicing through seat belts and other emergency cutting chores.

It could have many of the selling points of the ASSIST like the whistle and glassbreaker along with a blade with much more cutting leverage.

I'm sure there are other possibilities you all might want to add to this idea so let's talk about it. Also it should be the size of the Spyderhawk with a blunted or rounded off tip.
I think it would be a good Idea for emergency or rescue operations,i`m in.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I'd say go full-serration, in an emergency all you want to do is cut safely and quickly. Definitely round the tip, though.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

kennethsime wrote:I'd say go full-serration, in an emergency all you want to do is cut safely and quickly. Definitely round the tip, though.
The reason I suggested a combo edge and I would go with a 50/50 PE-SE ratio>> the reason being is because the 2 times I did have to use my ASSIST model in a crucial situation I was glad there was a certain part of the blade that was plain edged and I would think that the first responders and other professionals that would find such a tool useful would also need both edge types.

But I would also suggest a possible different type of serration as well. I would like to see one of Spyderco's more rounded type of serrations like the ones on their older culinary blades like the K-04 or K-05 or even the older fully serrated Catcherman models. I do like the spikey Spyderedges for many jobs but I do also like the more rounded/wavy type of serrations for other types of cutting jobs and I think that first responders would probably like that type of serration as well.

As useful as the ASSIST model has been for Spyderco's Rescue line up of knives I do think that a Rescue type of Hawkbill could have a lot of potential.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Yes. Rounded tip and less pointy serrations.

I'd like Tony's opinion too, since he's a pro, and used a Tasman on duty. Does a hawkbill really work better, and why did you switch to the Jumpmaster? More length?

- best wishes, Jazz.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

to me, my jumpmaster is perfect, it could use a brightly colored handle but thats about the only downside. i already added a wndow break on it. I switched to a FB because with fire gloves it can be a PITA to open up a folder, especially one handed. With the knife connected behind my flashlight, it is hidden pretty well so it doesnt freak out the public too much :P. Another problem i had with the tasman is that it would open by itself sometimes and the only way to remedy that was with a hammer because that was before Spyderco started having screws instead of pin construction. as far as the subject goes, to me the waved rescue is a perfect knife for when you aren't wearing bunker gear, for example on ambo calls, or as a cop. add a window break on it lose the whistle so it isnt as thick as the assist and that would be my pick. i have cut thru alot of seat belts with alot of different spydies and they have all cut thru easily.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Thanks, Tony.

- best wishes, Jazz.
JD Spydo

Fixed blades versus folders

Post by JD Spydo »

tonydahose wrote:to me, my jumpmaster is perfect, it could use a brightly colored handle but thats about the only downside. i already added a wndow break on it. I switched to a FB because with fire gloves it can be a PITA to open up a folder, especially one handed. With the knife connected behind my flashlight, it is hidden
I really appreciate your input Tony>> I've wanted to know what many first responders prefer. It just makes sense that you like the Jumpmaster because I've sometimes thought of it as a "fixed blade Mariner" with all things considered.

On one hand this just reinforces my idea of a fixed blade Hawkbill which I think would even be more versatile than the Jumpmaster. I do think that fixed blades are safer in many aspects but I also think that folders have their place as well.

And I do believe that pull cutting which is what Hawkbills are best at would have many advantages in emergency situations.