Spyderco Mosquito

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RJNC

Spyderco Mosquito

Post by RJNC »

I know I've heard of the Spydie folks in Golden making Spyderco Mosquitos out of Ladybugs. Is this something we could get/order from Spyderco?
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

I had to look up this old thread to see one: http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... ic-request

There is a pictures there:
Ted wrote:Noticed Paul had already found the old thread but I had deleted the picture from my webspace. Uploaded it again...

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think the Manbug is now a better candidate for this since the blade is a bit thicker, it'll be a little stronger.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

I'd send them one I already own, if they'd mod it for me.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i have only heard of them being given out as gifts.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

That doesn't even look like a modded blade to me, look at how long the tip goes out and look where that would be on the normal blade...the drop of the spine would prevent you from getting that much length wouldn't it?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Evil D wrote:That doesn't even look like a modded blade to me, look at how long the tip goes out and look where that would be on the normal blade...the drop of the spine would prevent you from getting that much length wouldn't it?
I think you may be right about that, Evil. Also, notice how the Mosquito only features "Spyderco" on its blade, while the Ladybug above has both "Spyderco" and the steel type (AUS-8, I believe?). Just out of curiosity, is there an indicated use for the Mosquito? (I.e. what is the primary purpose for the design?). All in all, it is a unique design and I would like to have one if they were ever offered to the public... :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
ChaoticLuck

Post by ChaoticLuck »

SpyderNut wrote: Just out of curiosity, is there an indicated use for the Mosquito? (I.e. what is the primary purpose for the design?). All in all, it is a unique design and I would like to have one if they were ever offered to the public... :)
My best guess would be poking things like cubed cheese, ice, and other pokeable things.

Although there's no blade and I have no real use for it I am strangely attracted to the possibility of having one. I hope they make a little project out of these and make them available to us. Might be the fisherman in me but it looks like a baby sailfish.
syphen

Post by syphen »

SpyderNut wrote: Just out of curiosity, is there an indicated use for the Mosquito? (I.e. what is the primary purpose for the design?). All in all, it is a unique design and I would like to have one if they were ever offered to the public... :)
VG10 toothpick.
Too many Spydies to list!
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Its used to prick ur arm when you get a new spydie u love so much you think you must be dreaming.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

As long as it does not carry or transmit malaria or the west Nile virus, I would like one!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
rycen

Post by rycen »

SpyderNut wrote:I think you may be right about that, Evil. Also, notice how the Mosquito only features "Spyderco" on its blade, while the Ladybug above has both "Spyderco" and the steel type (AUS-8, I believe?). Just out of curiosity, is there an indicated use for the Mosquito? (I.e. what is the primary purpose for the design?). All in all, it is a unique design and I would like to have one if they were ever offered to the public... :)
Actually the ladybug above ATS-55 carbon fiber version was stamped where all others of the time were not.
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Not terribly practical as a tool, or as a weapon, so I doubt it will ever see production. If someone really wants one then acquiring a Ladybug I, Ladybug III, or Manbug and finding someone to do the regrind would most likely be the only way they'll get one.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

The Deacon wrote:Not terribly practical as a tool, or as a weapon,
Might make a good leather awl?

As a weapon? Maybe a variation on the "death by 1000 cuts"? 'Death by 1000 pokes'? ;)

Ken
玉鋼
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

An awl is probably my second most used tool next to a knife, and half the stuff I do with a knife would probably be better done with an awl (the other half usually involves food).

I would suggest an actual marlinspike on something like the H-1 dragonfly, that way it can still count as a knife. We could all use them to manipulate the braiding on our paracord lanyards. :cool:
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

A sharpened pencil, knitting needle, or chop stick would be more effective. Do we allow any of those in schools or on airplanes? :eek:
brian
http://www.countryknives.com

Being vigilant in the world of sharp one edge at a time.
OldSarSwmr

Post by OldSarSwmr »

Joshua J. wrote:An awl is probably my second most used tool next to a knife, and half the stuff I do with a knife would probably be better done with an awl (the other half usually involves food).

I would suggest an actual marlinspike on something like the H-1 dragonfly, that way it can still count as a knife. We could all use them to manipulate the braiding on our paracord lanyards. :cool:
^^This
I would be all over a Spyderco Marlinspike! H1, full serration blade and a spike, maybe on the Dyad platform with the blade from an Assist! Yep, sign me up!
:spyder:
Dan
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

Hi All,
This "Moskito" Stinger is mine since about 10 years or longer, I believe. One night in Amsterdam while walking back from a restaurant to the hotel with Sal and some other family members and Spyderco employees, Sal walked up to me and gaveme this little black box, "Oh yeah J... this is something special for you. I had some Ladybugs grinded down in the shop, I like you to have it". Well. thank you Sal, what is it? It's a little stinger that might come useful one day...
I have never used it and I stopped carrying it a long time ago. It is however, a dear gift from a dear Friend.
Nice to see this picture popping up every once in a while. They have never been stock items. Sal just had a few done and gave them away to friends and such. They are grind down LBKs of the first generation (small hole, non VG-10 steel)
Cheers y'all
Jurphaas. ;-)
Clipits Work!
* WTC # 0107 *
RJNC

Post by RJNC »

I was thinking the same thing...great little awl. So if the Spydie folks can make them up, could we special order them?