spyderco sales here on the forums

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mkd

spyderco sales here on the forums

Post by mkd »

i know there are no sales here of spyderco knives on the forum but why not? benchmade forum has a want to buy as well as a for sale thread on their site and it seems to work pretty well for it's members.why can't that be done here with some rules to follow for posting?
ChaoticLuck

Post by ChaoticLuck »

I know I'm new here but I would guess it's because of the people who aren't honest, and Spyderco would have no way of knowing. Plus I think they could see it as a liability as well.

Read the thread that's stickied about how nice someone was to someone who turned out to be dishonest. No sale involved and a nice person got scammed.
Clip

Post by Clip »

It's just easier this way. Plus there's always K-bst!
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Because Spyderco is not Benchmade. :)
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Sal's house, Sal's rules.

I prefer it this way, the forum is about sharing knowledge and advice, commerce has a funny way of interfering in this. I have learned so much from the member's here while at the same time never had a need to buy anything from this forum.

The point about monitoring the trades and commerce is very valid. Disputes also have a tendacy to spill over into the general forum. I would rather the moderators spend the bare minumum time on this forum and spend their time putting out more knives.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

If there was a 1% chance a BST section would open a fabric in space and time destroying one of the best internet forums on the web, would it be worth the risk?

There are countless places to buy and sell used stuff. Only a few to get civil and insightful discussion.
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

I was thinking just yesterday after lurking the other forums want to sell or buy threads. How much I like the Spyderco forum. I actually like coming here because there isn't a commerce section. I hope there never is . If someone is really in need to sell something or buy something.. There are other avenues.

this place is a sanctuary
I believe in safe queens , they do exist!
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

JCP1969 wrote:I was thinking just yesterday after lurking the other forums want to sell or buy threads. How much I like the Spyderco forum. I actually like coming here because there isn't a commerce section. I hope there never is . If someone is really in need to sell something or buy something.. There are other avenues.

this place is a sanctuary
And soon to have a Byrd sanctuary.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Yeah, this comes up over and over again. Spyderco chooses not to have a BST section here (wisely, I believe), but there are plenty of other places to BST.
:bug-red-white
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

The friendly nature of this virtual place and it's inhabitants is what keeps me around :) The atmosphere is based on a passion for superior knives and materials, mutual respect, learning, and sharing what you have learned. The patience and respect of some contributors far more experienced and knowledgeable than I always helps me appreciate the Forum more ;) Introducing buy/sell/trade would most likely jeapordize that atmosphere.

I do notice that most of the replies not advocating B/S/T come from folks who've been around for a year or more, folks who have stayed here most likely have seen the ramifications that a B/S/T subforum can have. The majority of folks who join the forum wind up leaving fairly quickly, the passionate stay, learn, share, and continue to learn and keep pace with developments in the knife making world :) I would not welcome a BST subforum here.
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Even though there isn't a bst on this forum, people do give heads up when legit dealers are carrying spyderco products or get new ones in stock. I find that to be very helpful. Also, some of the long-timers here have set up other means of dealing with BST as previously discussed. I've used those means to good results. Also, this forum is a great vehicle to contact Spyderco in order to sell them new designs, and a few members here have successfully done so. Dialex, Chad Los Banos, and Brad Southard are three that I know of.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I think Sal, Kristi, and the Spydercrew have grown a very nice "ecosystem" here. And I don't find a shortage of places to buy/sell/trade blades and knife paraphernalia - K-BST, Knife Forums, Blade Forums, CPF Marketplace, USN, the JD, and of course, fleaBay...

TedP
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

This IS the BEST Forum by far and I don't want it messed up.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

.357 mag wrote:Because Spyderco is not Benchmade. :)
+1 . . . the absence of a BST area leaves the forum free to grow into a learning and sharing environment more than a marketplace.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Oofa

Post by Oofa »

Spyderco is much more of a collectors brand than any other knife company and people would be buying used from each other rather than new knives. I think it would be a horrible blow to Spyderco's new knife sales.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

I think there are a few reasons why Sal doesn't want sales on the forum:

1. Not competing with your supply-chain - the same reason that the Factory Outlet doesn't under-cut the price of the retailers. Manufacturers spend a fortune setting up good supply-chain business relationships and it is business suicide to upset them by appearing to compete with them.

2. It is a divisive issue and always causes complaints and bad feeling when people don't get what they thought they had paid for.

3. The internet is full of forums where you can already BST knives so there's no need for another.
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

ChrisR wrote:It is a divisive issue and always causes complaints and bad feeling when people don't get what they thought they had paid for.
Not to mention the potential for hurt feelings when someone chooses not to do business with a brand new member, chooses not to ship overseas, or decides to sell to a friend who was a bit late to the party instead of the guy who posted the first "I'll take it".

I also suspect that a sales forum would require more moderation than Spyderco has the resources and/or desire to provide. And, as noted by you and others, there's no shortage of places on the internet to buy and sell knives.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
cubsfan1969

Post by cubsfan1969 »

I recently lost a Catcherman on another forum, and it got ugly publicly. No need for that here. At all.
Oofa

Post by Oofa »

I think it's interesting how much people on this forum distrust other people on this forum. Everyone is so sure there will be dishonesty and negativity. That speaks loudly. I belong to many other forums and they sell and buy without any animosity whatsoever so it can be done. It wouldn't be in the best interest of Sal and new Spyderco sales but I don't believe there would be as much backstabbing and negativity as most seem to think.
thog94

Post by thog94 »

I helped run a paintball forum for years. I can honestly say that the b/s/t forum was the bain of my existence. Being in charge of that section took a couple of hours a day to oversee. As well as things ran smoothly, all it took was 1 bad deal for whatever reason to ruin everything.

I love the way things are now, I might not post much but I love reading and taking in the knowledge that are on these boards. Sometimes change is good, but not when it comes to a b/s/t section IMHO.