Schempp Tuff - issues?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KaliGman

Post by KaliGman »

The Tuff is easily opened and closed with one hand, brand new from the box, without any wear in whatsoever, if you use proper technique. As it wears in a bit, it is a bit easier to open and close. For closing, do not use the thumbnail. For easy one handed closing, grasp the knife in your right hand with the blade edge facing up, place the center of the ball of your thumb on the integral lock release, press down with the thumb and then slide the lock to the left, maintaining the downward pressure of the thumb. After the release of the lock, use your index finger to slide the blade partially closed, remove your thumb from the lock, and fold the knife all the way closed. It is quick and easy. With the left hand, the process for one handed closing is the same, except it is best to start the blade closing against your leg or another object, due to the difficulty in maintaining pressure on the lock and reaching the blade with the index finger of the hand grasping the knife.

I will show these closings and some quick opening and martial techniques with the blade soon, once I upload the video we shot after a recent Albo Kali Silat class.

Good luck with your new knife. I am sure you will enjoy it. I know I am loving the one Ed sent me (and the two that I bought from Kristi myself :D ).
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Welcome back KaliGman :) .
BAL

Post by BAL »

I think that anyone that owns a Spyderco knife has a great edge.
Onionman

Post by Onionman »

Either my thumb has gotten stronger, or the Tuff is broken in, as I had little trouble last night with opening and closing. Even flicked it open a few times with no problems.
The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
JudasD

Post by JudasD »

The more i use this knife the more i like it. And this is coming from someone that pretty much liked it from day one anyway :) It feels very stout and strong. It just gives the impression of ruggedness. Many folks that i have let handle it make the comment that it feels nothing like a regular spyderco. One of my buddies said that it feels like a spyderco made out of solid lead. He then asked if i was willing to sell it. :)

JD
KaliGman

Post by KaliGman »

Work has been crazy, and, having just been promoted, I am in the midst of a transfer--selling a residence in Ohio and moving to Northern Virginia. I hope, with all the craziness, you guys will understand that it took me a while to get the videos I promised completed. On my Youtube channel you will find the first of two Tuff videos up right now. The first one discusses some features of the knife and shows opening methods. The next one will demonstrate some cutting and combative uses. It will be up in the next couple of weeks. Both of the videos will be going up on the Albo Kali Silat website soon (http://www.albokalisilat.org). I will put the second Tuff video up on Youtube right after it is posted on my website.

Take care and train hard,

Jon
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

I had the same experience with mine, but it loosened up. I took my sharpmaker course stone and rounded out the edge of the spydie hole just a bit because it was really aggressive, though it is likely to aid in opening it. I mostly just got used to it, of course now i just got a Manix 2XL which i think is the less beefy Tuff which is so easy to open I might have issues swapping between the two.
So many spydies, not enough pockets.

"No one else could ever be admitted here, since this gate was made only for you. I am now going to shut it." Before the Law, Franz Kafka

Spydernation #1990